Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Uploading Data Files - getting error that says "Unable to Open/Read Files"

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Uploading Data Files - getting error that says "Unable to Open/Read Files"
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I am following the instructions from the Online Help for Creating a Reporting Application - Uploading Data Files. BUT, I keep getting this error message "Unable to Open/Read File".
I am in Developer Studio. I'm on WF 765, soon to go to version 766. The file I'm trying to import is an excel file saved as .xls. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what could be wrong. The location of the .xls has been moved to several different directories to see if this was the problem, still doesn't work. Help.
Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 7.7
Unix/Tomcat
ZLinux on System Z
DB2 Relational DB

Expert
posted Hide Post
Cheryl,

Please update your profile signature with your product suite, releases, and platform, especially the latter. You didn't indicate what the backend platform was for your WebFOCUS environment and that could affect the answer we give you.

If it is a local installation, you will have to give us more information as to what you are trying to do with the file. Are you trying to report from it, open it? Please provide more detail.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I am on WF version 7.6.4, soon to be 7.6.6.
WebClient Platform: Unix/Solaris
Reporting Server Platform: zLinux running on mainframe
Data: Oracle Relational Data Base soon to be DB2.

I am trying to take a excel spreadsheet and import it into WebFOCUS to report on it. Possible JOIN it to another Data Table. Do I need to use the Synanym Editor??

WF 7.7
Unix/Tomcat
ZLinux on System Z
DB2 Relational DB

Expert
posted Hide Post
Since you are on a Unix platform as we are, what you are trying to do is challenging. Since your reporting server is on Unix, it doesn't know about xls files. One recommendation would be to be to save it as a csv (comma-delimited), ftp it to the Unix box and then create a master file description for it.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I've tried to analyse what happens when you do the upload.
As I understand the process this is as follows:
Since it is a developer studio feature, it runs on windows. Windows knows xls files.
When you select a file to be uploaded, it looks at your local file system, the file has to be present on your pc. The processing of the file however is not done by focshell (Developer studio), but by the servlets. This is why it may be challenging. The servlets will read the xls file, determine what columns there are, build the master file, read the data, convert it to csv data, and when it is done, it will send the master file, access file and data file to the server to be stored. The server will not create the synonym or the data file, it will just store whatever it is being offered.
The challenge here is to get the servlets to read the data file. If, as is the case here, the servlets can not read the file, then you get the above error message. Most likely issue is security. Most servlets run in a anonymous mode, which means that the permissions for reading the file must be such that everyone (including anonymous) can read the file.

Hope I'm right ... Sweating

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I've been doing this exact thing a lot lately in a UNIX envirornment. Save the file as a csv file, ftp it to the server, then check the permissions of the file you just placed on the UNIX box. I have found that the first time I place the file on the UNIX box I need to change the permissions to read, write, execute before I can read the file. And you have to create your mfd somewhere along the line with suffix=com. Hope this helps.

WF 7.7.05
HP-UX - Reporting Server, Windows 2008 - Client, MSSQL 2008, FOCUS Databases, Flat Files
HTML, Excel, PDF

Posts: 149 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: June 08, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay in replying to your last suggestion(s). I've read all the prior tips, but what I was hoping to accomplish was to have Upload Data File utility creat my MFD. I manually create many MFDs and I wanted to have a tool for the end-user to do this easily for them. So, are you telling me that the upload utility will not work for me because of the UNIX box? Is this something I need to request from IBI for a fix/enhancement? OR, am I doing something incorrectly? I've tried creating a .csv, changing permissions, moving file into the correct location (ftp) and I still can not get the file to open. I still get this message "Unable to Open/Read File". Any other thoughts/suggestions. I really would like this feature to work for me, it would be very helpful. Thanks.
CherylB

WF 7.6.6
Unix/Solaris
ZLinux on Mainframe/converting to DB2
Oracle Relational DB

WF 7.7
Unix/Tomcat
ZLinux on System Z
DB2 Relational DB

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi CherylB,

Has this issue been resolved on your side? Many thanks for everyone's input on this one.

I passed this one to internals and was suggested that the last response from linus maybe works, just needs an extra step. Can you please try again and let us know the outcome? Wink

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I think I had that problem with 7.6.4 but it got fixed in 7.6.6. Can you try it on 7.6.6?

check this link

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2003,SQL Server 2005,Oracle

Posts: 125 | Location: New England | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post