Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] How to Inhibit entry to Calendar Textbox...

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] How to Inhibit entry to Calendar Textbox...
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
How can the entry, directly in to the Calendar Textbox, be inhibited without being “grayed out”. I know that I can “disable” it. But, that also grays it out. My users want to see the value in that text box in its full intensity, not grayed out.

Preferred suggestion would be something like “document.getElementById("cal_FrmDt").style.display = 'block';”. But, as you can imagine, that does not work.

Thanks in advance,
Doug

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug,

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You can override events generated by the text box. I believe the event you should search on is "focus" ... no pun intended. When the object gets focus, then set the focus to a different object.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I have onlt recently done this for some text entry boxes, so I can "Turn them on or off" without having that grey look.

I used this to stop entry:
onclick="return false ;"

And this to control entry:
onclick=" if ({test condition}) return false ;"

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I'll check these out.

I know you can also set the style to block on a "normal" / stand alone text box. But, I cannot get that to work on text box associated with the calendar control.

Like I said, I'll check out these options...

Thanks...

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
In maintain I use the readonly attribute for the calendar textbox. I assume the same will apply for HTML composer.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Unfortunatly: No, it's not the same in the HTML Composer (text edit as well).

I was hoping to use the following: "document.getElementById("cal_FrmDt").style.display = 'block';” (retrieved from a JavaScript Forum)

Because "document.getElementById("cal_FrmDt").disabled = true;" works to the point of disabling it,
and "document.getElementById("cal_FrmDt").style.color = "red";" works to change the color (to red for testing only). Frowner

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
"document.getElementById("cal_FrmDt").style.display = 'block';”

The display property is used to hide or show a page element - it will not "block" the user from typing in in it. See http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_class_display.asp

You should try the suggestions made previously.

Unfortunately I can't! I created an HTML page and added a calendar control. When I run it, I get a text box but no calendar icon. This is straight HTML Composer - no coding - one form, one control (no parameter so that may be the culprit).

I better check for hot fixes.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
That's the confusing factor: "document.getElementById("cal_FrmDt").style.color = "red";" works by addressing ONLY THE TEXT PBOX of the Calendar. "disable" works well also. but not the "block".

I tried the others and they don't seem to work wither.

I'll do a "calendar only" html file in the composer and pass it on.

Thanks,
Doug

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug,

Expert
posted Hide Post
Here's a simple sample using onfocus
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META id=mycharsetmeta content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" http-equiv=Content-Type>
<META id=Generation content="Gen 3.0">
<SCRIPT id=IBI_RelCallBack type=text/javascript>function AdjustChildrenPosition(){
}
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_OptionsScript type=text/javascript>
var cgipath = "cgipath";
var ibirls = "ibirls3";

var rltdyncalendar = "rltdyncalendar";
var gmap = "ibigmap";
var olap="olap";
var olappanebase="olappanebase";
var olapdrill="olapdrill";

var ibixmltree="ibixmltree";

var ibiOptions = new Array(cgipath,ibirls,rltdyncalendar);
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_nls type=text/javascript src="/ibi_html/javaassist/nls.js"></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_nlsVars type=text/javascript src="/ibi_html/javaassist/nlsvars.js"></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_ibigbl type=text/javascript src="/ibi_html/javaassist/ibi/html/js/ibigbl.js"></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_ibigblloadCss type=text/javascript>
ibigblloadCss(null);
addIntlTranslatedJS("composertrans.js");
</SCRIPT>
<TITLE>HtmlPage</TITLE>
<SCRIPT id=clientEventHandlersJS type=text/javascript>
//Begin function window_onload
function window_onload() {

UpdateData();

// TODO: Add your event handler code here
//add onInitialUpdate() function to make changes before initial run of the reports
}
//End function window_onload

//Begin function calendar1_onfocus
function calendar1_onfocus(ctrl) {
  document.getElementById("text1").style.color = "red";
}
//End function calendar1_onfocus

//Begin function calendar2_onfocus
function calendar2_onfocus(ctrl) {
  document.getElementById("text1").style.color = "blue";
// ???  document.getElementById("text1").focus = true;
}
//End function calendar2_onfocus
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT for=window type=text/javascript eventname="onload">window.onload = function() { window_onload(); }</SCRIPT>

<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18975"></HEAD>
<BODY style="OVERFLOW: auto" elementtype="21" nextelementuniquenumber="3" edaconnectionrequired="false">
<INPUT style="Z-INDEX: 3; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 110px; HEIGHT: 25px; TOP: 100px; LEFT: 40px" id=calendar1 language=javascript onfocus=calendar1_onfocus(this) tabIndex=2 size=11 elementtype="14" persistentuniqueid="compUid_1" name="calendar1"> 
<INPUT style="Z-INDEX: 2; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 110px; HEIGHT: 25px; TOP: 100px; LEFT: 220px" id=calendar2 language=javascript onfocus=calendar2_onfocus(this) tabIndex=3 size=11 elementtype="14" persistentuniqueid="compUid_2" name="calendar2"> 
<SPAN style="Z-INDEX: 1; POSITION: absolute; TEXT-ALIGN: center; WIDTH: 310px; FONT-FAMILY: arial; HEIGHT: 32px; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; TOP: 30px; LEFT: 40px" id=text1 tabIndex=-1>This changes color when the calendar controls are in focus. 
<BR>This is only a test.</SPAN> 
<INPUT style="Z-INDEX: 4; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 310px; HEIGHT: 25px; TOP: 70px; LEFT: 40px" id=edit1 tabIndex=1 value="This is just for testing..." size=16 persistentuniqueid="compUid_3" name="edit1">      
<INPUT style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px; LEFT: -100px" id=layoutinfo type=hidden>
<INPUT style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px; LEFT: -100px" id=IBIMR_domain value=webdevel/webdevel.htm type=hidden name="IBIMR_domain">
<INPUT style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px; LEFT: -100px" id=IBIMR_folder value=#douglasleee0 type=hidden name="IBIMR_folder">
<INPUT style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px; LEFT: -100px" id=ibif_ex value=app/on_focus_test.htm type=hidden name="ibif_ex">
<INPUT style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px; LEFT: -100px" id=ibiapp_app value="webdevel storeoperations baseapp" type=hidden ismre="1" name="ibiapp_app">
<xml id=focus_xmlelement>
<script type="text/xml">

<rootxmlnode>

<variables></variables>

<input_controls>

<input_control bindcontrolid="compUid_1" elementtype="14" name="calendar1" id="calendar1" multiple="0" onetimepopulated="1">

<link linktype="default">

<condition default="1" name="Default" whattodowithcontrol="0" valuescompareoperator="0" parameterscompareoperator="0" conditionmultiselectoperator="0">

<data_info calendardata="0/0/-10;0/0/10" calendardatatype="1" ibiformat="YMD" accept="0">

<static_values>

<static value="" display="" selected="0"></static></static_values></data_info></condition></link></input_control>

<input_control bindcontrolid="compUid_2" elementtype="14" name="calendar2" id="calendar2" multiple="0" onetimepopulated="1">

<condition default="1" name="Default" whattodowithcontrol="0" valuescompareoperator="0" parameterscompareoperator="0" conditionmultiselectoperator="0">

<data_info calendardata="0/0/-10;0/0/10" calendardatatype="1" ibiformat="YMD" accept="0">

<static_values>

<static value="" display="" selected="0"></static></static_values></data_info></condition></link></input_control>

<input_control bindcontrolid="compUid_3" elementtype="7" name="edit1" id="edit1" multiple="0" onetimepopulated="1">

<data_info accept="0">

<static_values>
<static value="This is just for testing..." display="This is just for testing..." selected="1"></static></static_values></data_info></condition></link></input_control></input_controls>

<other_bound_objects></other_bound_objects>

<requests></requests></rootxmlnode></script>
</xml></BODY>
<SCRIPT id=IBI_loadcalendar type=text/javascript>
if(ibigblInitInfo.testOptions(rltdyncalendar)){
     setDateRange();
     setupDocCalendars();
}</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_loader type=text/javascript>
doBeforeLoad();
</SCRIPT>
</HTML>

It's "close. but, no cigar." (yet)

Expert
posted Hide Post
Try using onkeydown="return false;"

You may have to check this for cross browser compatibility.

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META id=mycharsetmeta content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" http-equiv=Content-Type>
<SCRIPT id=IBI_RelCallBack type=text/javascript>function AdjustChildrenPosition(){
}
</SCRIPT>

var cgipath = "cgipath";
var ibirls = "ibirls3";

var gmap = "ibigmap";
var olap="olap";

</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_nls type=text/javascript src="/ibi_html/javaassist/nls.js"></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_nlsVars type=text/javascript src="/ibi_html/javaassist/nlsvars.js"></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_ibigbl type=text/javascript src="/ibi_html/javaassist/ibi/html/js/ibigbl.js"></SCRIPT>

ibigblloadCss(null);
</SCRIPT>
<TITLE>HtmlPage</TITLE>

UpdateData();

//add onInitialUpdate() function to make changes before initial run of the reports
}

}

}
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT for=window type=text/javascript eventname="onload">window.onload = function() { window_onload(); }</SCRIPT>

<BODY style="OVERFLOW: auto" elementtype="21" nextelementuniquenumber="3" edaconnectionrequired="false">
<INPUT style="Z-INDEX: 3; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 110px; HEIGHT: 25px; TOP: 100px; LEFT: 40px" id=calendar1 language=javascript onkeydown=" return false;" onfocus=calendar1_onfocus(this) tabIndex=2 size=11 elementtype="14" persistentuniqueid="compUid_1" name="calendar1"> 
<INPUT style="Z-INDEX: 2; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 110px; HEIGHT: 25px; TOP: 100px; LEFT: 220px" id=calendar2 language=javascript onkeydown=" return false;" onfocus=calendar2_onfocus(this) tabIndex=3 size=11 elementtype="14" persistentuniqueid="compUid_2" name="calendar2"> 
<SPAN style="Z-INDEX: 1; POSITION: absolute; TEXT-ALIGN: center; WIDTH: 310px; FONT-FAMILY: arial; HEIGHT: 32px; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; TOP: 30px; LEFT: 40px" id=text1 tabIndex=-1>This changes color when the calendar controls are in focus. 
<INPUT style="Z-INDEX: 4; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 310px; HEIGHT: 25px; TOP: 70px; LEFT: 40px" id=edit1 tabIndex=1 value="This is just for testing..." size=16 persistentuniqueid="compUid_3" name="edit1">      
<INPUT style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px; LEFT: -100px" id=layoutinfo type=hidden>
<INPUT style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px; LEFT: -100px" id=IBIMR_domain value=webdevel/webdevel.htm type=hidden name="IBIMR_domain">
<INPUT style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px; LEFT: -100px" id=IBIMR_folder value=#douglasleee0 type=hidden name="IBIMR_folder">
<INPUT style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px; LEFT: -100px" id=ibif_ex value=app/on_focus_test.htm type=hidden name="ibif_ex">
<INPUT style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px; LEFT: -100px" id=ibiapp_app value="webdevel storeoperations baseapp" type=hidden ismre="1" name="ibiapp_app">
<script type="text/xml">

<rootxmlnode>

<variables></variables>

<input_controls>

<input_control bindcontrolid="compUid_1" elementtype="14" name="calendar1" id="calendar1" multiple="0" onetimepopulated="1">

<static_values>

<input_control bindcontrolid="compUid_2" elementtype="14" name="calendar2" id="calendar2" multiple="0" onetimepopulated="1">

<static_values>

<input_control bindcontrolid="compUid_3" elementtype="7" name="edit1" id="edit1" multiple="0" onetimepopulated="1">

<data_info accept="0">

<static_values>
<static value="This is just for testing..." display="This is just for testing..." selected="1"></static></static_values></data_info></condition></link></input_control></input_controls>

</xml></BODY>
     setDateRange();
     setupDocCalendars();
}</SCRIPT>

doBeforeLoad();
</SCRIPT>
</HTML>

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
"disable" works well also. but not the "block".

"block" isn't meant to block anything, it refers to the formatting model used for the element.

See the specifiation, most notably section 4.1, for details.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,

And the winner is: Waz. Big Grin For the language=javascript onkeydown=" return false;". (Thanks for your patience as well, I neglected the "language=javascript.)

Thanks (Francis and Wep5622) for the clarification of "block" isn't meant to block anything. I guess I just wanted something "That Simple and Intuitive". But, not as intuitive as I’d like (imho), Waz's suggestion did the trick.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, there's a caveat to all of this.

The (onkeydown=" return false;") interferes with my validation of the two dates (from and to). So, at least for now, I'm placing a transparent gif over them to prevent access to them... It's really a work-around, but, acceptable for now seeing that we need to get this in to production ASAP.

Still Smilering...

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This is what you should do:
<HTML>
<HEAD>
}
</SCRIPT>

var cgipath = "cgipath";
var ibirls = "ibirls3";

var gmap = "ibigmap";
var olap="olap";

</SCRIPT>

ibigblloadCss(null);
</SCRIPT>
<TITLE>HtmlPage</TITLE>

UpdateData();

}

}

}
</SCRIPT>

<INPUT style="Z-INDEX: 3; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 110px; HEIGHT: 25px; TOP: 100px; LEFT: 40px" id=calendar1 language=javascript onfocus="document.getElementById('edit1').focus();" tabIndex=2 size=11 elementtype="14" persistentuniqueid="compUid_1" name="calendar1"> 
<INPUT style="Z-INDEX: 2; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 110px; HEIGHT: 25px; TOP: 100px; LEFT: 220px" id=calendar2 language=javascript onfocus="document.getElementById('edit1').focus();" tabIndex=3 size=11 elementtype="14" persistentuniqueid="compUid_2" name="calendar2"> 
<script type="text/xml">

<rootxmlnode>

<variables></variables>

<input_controls>

<static_values>

<static_values>

<data_info accept="0">

<static_values>

</xml></BODY>
     setDateRange();
     setupDocCalendars();
}</SCRIPT>

doBeforeLoad();
</SCRIPT>
</HTML>  

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You can add javascript validation before the return.

onkeydown="validate();return false;"

You can also change this to be more dynamic, and have the validate return a tru or false.

onkeydown="validate();"

function validate() {
tests and checks

if (testedOK) return false;
else return true ;
}

Waz...

In Focus since 1984