Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Count of rows as a column in the hold file

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Count of rows as a column in the hold file
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
I would like to have the number of rows in a hold file as a column in the same hold file. I've tried several different things with no success. This is what I finally came up with, running a query against the hold file to determine the number of rows. Does anyone have a better way?

TABLE FILE MSCRM_ACTIVITYPOINTER
SUM
MIN.PARTYIDNAME
MIN.ACTIVITYTYPECODE
COMPUTE CNT_ACTIVITY/D6 = 1;

BY PARTYID

WHERE SCHEDULEDSTART FROM DT(2007-11-01 00:00:00.000) TO DT(2008-01-31 23:59:59.999);
WHERE CF_COMPANYIDNAME LIKE '%BMO Nesbitt Burns%';
WHERE ACTIVITYTYPECODE EQ 4201
WHERE PARTYOBJECTTYPECODE EQ 2;
WHERE PARTICIPATIONTYPEMASK EQ 5;

ON TABLE HOLD AS H001M1
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE H001M1
SUM
CNT_ACTIVITY
SUM
PARTYIDNAME
ACTIVITYTYPECODE

BY PARTYID

ON TABLE HOLD AS H001M1
END

Thanks,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Too possible soluations.

# 1

TABLE FILE ...
SUM
COMPUTE CNT_ACTIVITY/D6 = 1;
SUM
MIN.PARTYIDNAME
MIN.ACTIVITYTYPECODE

BY PARTYID

WHERE SCHEDULEDSTART FROM DT(2007-11-01 00:00:00.000) TO DT(2008-01-31 23:59:59.999);

ON TABLE HOLD AS H001M1
END

Option 2:

TABLE FILE ...
SUM
MIN.PARTYIDNAME
MIN.ACTIVITYTYPECODE

BY PARTYID

ON TABLE HOLD AS H001M1
END

-RUN
-SET &TOTLINES = &LINES;

DEFINE FILE H001M1
COMPUTE CNT_ACTIVITY/D6 = &TOTLINES;
END

TABLE FILE H001M1
PRINT
CNT_ACTIVITIY
ON TABLE HOLD AS ...
END

Hope this helps

Scott

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think the compute always comes up with 1.
Might be better to do a count as your first verb request, such as:
TABLE FILE ...
SUM
CNT.ACTIVITYTYPECODE
SUM
MIN.PARTYIDNAME
MIN.ACTIVITYTYPECODE

BY PARTYID

ON TABLE HOLD AS H001M1
END

Hope this helps ...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Is this what you are wanting?

CODE]
TABLE FILE CAR
COUNT COUNTRY
MODEL
PRINT MIN.COUNTRY
MIN.MODEL
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE HOLD AS CCNT
END
TABLE FILE CCNT
PRINT *
END
-EXIT[/CODE]

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,

If you have a hierarchy type file (like CAR) this will work:

-* File franciscount.fex
DEFINE FILE CAR
ONE/I5 WITH CAR = 1;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM ONE
SUM SALES 
BY COUNTRY BY CAR
END

Aside from that, still thinking...

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
T.S.

Thanks for the response.

I originally coded the second option you suggest.

I can't use the first option you suggest, because the HOLD file is subsequently used in an inner JOIN to a SQL table and the CNT_ACTIVITY column will not sum up to the original count because sometimes there is no matching row in the cross-referenced file.

Cheers,

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I can't use a COUNT because there may be more than one input row - the COUNT is thus more than the number of output rows.

The program reads MS SQL Server tables.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES
COMPUTE MCNT/I5=1 + MCNT;
BY SEATS
ON TABLE HOLD
END
TABLE FILE HOLD
SUM MAX.MCNT
SUM SALES
BY SEATS
END

Daniel
In Focus since 1982

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It can be done in one pass, even when each result row summarizes multiple source data rows:
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM CNT.DST.CAR WITHIN TABLE
 CNT.MODEL
 SALES
BY CAR
END

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
There was a presentation given at Summit regarding the "magical" use of WITHIN that would probably give you a solution. I can't remember that name of the presentation or even who presented it - I'll have eto go back through my notes (that I left in my other office). JG's post using WITHIN TABLE reminded me of this.
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT CAR
CNT.CAR WITHIN COUNTRY
CNT.CAR WITHIN TABLE
BY COUNTRY
END

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
WITHIN does the trick! I'll have to read up about it.

Thanks a million!

SUM
CNT.DST.ACTIVITYTYPECODE WITHIN TABLE AS CNT_ACTIVITY
MIN.PARTYIDNAME
MIN.ACTIVITYTYPECODE

BY PARTYID

ON TABLE HOLD AS H001M1
END

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Darin,

I think WITHIN was mentioned in both the "One Liners ... " and "FOCUS Internals ... "

T

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
WITHIN is definitely a "One Liner" that opens doors...

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
SUM
CNT.DST.ACTIVITYTYPECODE WITHIN TABLE AS CNT_ACTIVITY
MIN.PARTYIDNAME
MIN.ACTIVITYTYPECODE
BY PARTYID
. . .
. . .
END

Doesn't that yield all one's in the first column? I think you want
CNT.DST.PARTYID WITHIN TABLE

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jack, the program returns 471 in the CNT_ACTIVITY column. I can't use CNT.DST.PARTYID because MS SQL Server does not allow prefixes for Uniqueidentifier columns which PartyID is.

Thanks,

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It was the "One Liners" presentation. Didn't make it to the other one. See, I DID learn something there - it wasn't just an excuse for a great party.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Digest this!

quote:
Manipulating Display Field Values in a Sort Group

You can use the WITHIN phrase to manipulate a display field’s values as they are aggregated
within a sort group. This technique can be used with a prefix operator to perform
calculations on a specific aggregate field rather than a report column. In contrast, the SUM
and COUNT commands aggregate an entire column.
You can use up to 64 fields in a display command when using the WITHIN phrase.The
WITHIN phrase requires a BY phrase and/or an ACROSS phrase. A maximum of two WITHIN
phrases can be used per display command. If one WITHIN phrase is used, it must act on a BY
phrase. If two WITHIN phrases are used, the first must act on a BY phrase and the second on
an ACROSS phrase.
You can also use WITHIN TABLE, which allows you to return the original value within a
request command. The WITHIN TABLE command can also be used when an ACROSS phrase
is needed without a BY phrase. Otherwise, a single WITHIN phrase requires a BY phrase.
- WebFOCUS - Creating Reports With WebFOCUS Language - Version 5 Release 3

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I don't find that description of WITHIN clear. Whatever it is intended to mean, I don't think it's accurate -- I found SUM CNT.DST. and COUNT DST. yield identical results.

TABLE FILE CAR
"sum within table:"
SUM CNT.DST.SEATS WITHIN TABLE
SALES 
BY CAR
END

TABLE FILE CAR
"count within table:"
COUNT DST.SEATS WITHIN TABLE
SUM.SALES 
BY CAR
END

TABLE FILE CAR
"count within car"
COUNT DST.SEATS WITHIN CAR
SUM.SALES 
BY CAR
ON TABLE SUMMARIZE
END

It's interstring semantics:

SUM CNT.DST.A WITHIN TABLE ... BY B
or
COUNT DST.A WITHIN TABLE ... BY B

means "take the Count of Distinct A within each value of B, summed up to the table level, and replicate in each row"
-- rather then "take the Count of Distinct A over the whole table, and replicate in each B row" as I had thought.

In other words, the verb object (including its prefix operators) is evaluated within sort groups, just as though there were no WITHIN specified; the WITHIN just alters the level of summation of that result, to be stored in each row of the result.

That's how you get 741 "distinct" values of ACTIVITYTYPECODE, when the underlying values all equal 4201.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi to all,

The weirdest thing about this syntax is the following:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM CNT.DST.CAR WITHIN TABLE
SALES
BY CAR
BY MPG IN-GROUPS-OF 10
END

You think that this will count the distinct values of CAR, right? Well see the ouptut:

COUNT
                             DISTINCT
  CAR                   MPG  CAR        SALES  
  ---                   ---  --------   -----                                   
  ALFA ROMEO             20        12   30200  
  AUDI                   20        12    7800  
  BMW                    10        12   62540  
                         20        12   17850  
  DATSUN                  0        12   43000  
  JAGUAR                  0        12   12000  
                         10        12       0  
  JENSEN                 10        12       0  
  MASERATI                0        12       0  
  PEUGEOT                20        12       0  
  TOYOTA                 20        12   35030  
  TRIUMPH                20        12       0  

It counts the 12 LINES and not the 10 CARs. So this is very good for you Francis, but I wonder whether somebody will not "correct" this feature in a future release...

Daniel
In Focus since 1982