Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Mouseover example for column title and data element

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Mouseover example for column title and data element
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi All,

I copied the example below from an old post and I'm getting an error. I'm on 8.201M

A couple questions ...
1) Can someone run this and see if it works for them? And if not, let me know what the issue is.

2)Is this still the best/preferred way to accomplish this functionality?

Thanks

Here's the example using the CAR file ...

-*-- Hover / Mouseover example using html title --------------------------------

-SET &TITLE_MSG =
- '<span style="cursor: default;" ' | 'title=''View details''>Country</span>';

DEFINE FILE CAR
 CONTINENT/A10 =
 IF COUNTRY IN ('FRANCE', 'W GERMANY', 'ITALY', 'ENGLAND') THEN 'Europe' ELSE
 IF COUNTRY IN ('JAPAN') THEN 'Asia' ELSE '???';
 MOUSEOVER/A255 =
 '<span style="cursor: default;" title=''The continent is ' |
 CONTINENT | '''>' | COUNTRY | '</span>';
END

TABLE FILE CAR
 PRINT
 MOUSEOVER AS '&TITLE_MSG'
 MODEL AS 'Model'
 BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
 ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
END

Here's the error message I get ...

0 ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE 17 IN PROCEDURE ADHOCRQ FOCEXEC *
(FOC003) THE FIELDNAME IS NOT RECOGNIZED: View
(FOC009) INCOMPLETE REQUEST STATEMENT
BYPASSING TO END OF COMMAND

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFocus 8.201M, Windows, App Studio

Posts: 227 | Location: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: August 12, 2008Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I put 'View Details' in double quotes, rather than 2 single quotes, and the page renders fine.

-SET &TITLE_MSG =
- '<span style="cursor: default;" ' | 'title="View details">Country</span>';

DEFINE FILE CAR
 CONTINENT/A10 =
 MOUSEOVER/A255 =
 '<span style="cursor: default;" title=''The continent is ' |
 CONTINENT | '''>' | COUNTRY | '</span>';
END

TABLE FILE CAR
 PRINT
 MOUSEOVER AS '&TITLE_MSG'
 MODEL AS 'Model'
 BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
END
-EXIT 

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
jfr99

I get the same error and not sure of the cause. In the master file you can create the DEFINE with a TITLE and DESCRIPTION of the field and use SET POPUPDESC = ON in your fex or server profile (edasprof.prf). I think that is the preferred method now.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi David ... That worked for me as well. Thanks

Chuck ... I'm mostly interested in a mouseover for a data element so is this still the best/preferred method there?

Thanks

Posts: 227 | Location: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: August 12, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The original post was from 2006, when we did not have POPUPDESC. The code works when the appropriate quotes are used - double-quotes like David mentioned.

Unfortunately, while POPUPDESC does what it's supposed to do, my example does more: it provides more information than a description - it includes data values.

Slightly cleaned up code - ready for 2030 AD.

-*-- Hover / Mouseover example using html title --------------------------------

-SET &TITLE_MSG = '<span style="cursor: default;" ' | 'title="View details">Country</span>';

DEFINE FILE CAR
  CONTINENT/A10 =
  MOUSEOVER/A255 =
    '<span style="cursor: default;" title="The continent is ' |
    CONTINENT || '">' || COUNTRY || '</span>';
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE CAR
  PRINT
    MOUSEOVER       AS '&TITLE_MSG'
    MODEL           AS 'Model'
    BY COUNTRY      NOPRINT
END
-RUN

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
BTW, it's unfortunate that we cannot include the TITLE and DESCRIPTION attributes in a DEFINE that's in a fex, not in a mas.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Here's another example using the CAR file. I created a profit field and a mouseover for the Title and the data element. I would like to have the information in the data element mouseover be on two lines. Retail Cost on one line and Dealer Cost on another line. How do I put a line break in the mouseover. Thanks

Here's the code ...

-SET &TITLE_MSG = '<span style="cursor: default;" ' | 'title="Retail Cost minus Dealer Cost">Profit</span>';
DEFINE FILE CAR
PROFIT/D7          = RETAIL_COST - DEALER_COST;
T1_PROFIT/A12      = FPRINT(PROFIT, 'D7', 'A12');
T1_RETAIL_COST/A12 = FPRINT(RETAIL_COST, 'D7', 'A12');
T1_DEALER_COST/A12 = FPRINT(DEALER_COST, 'D7', 'A12');
MO_PROFIT/A255 =
'<span style="cursor: default;" title=''Retail Cost = ' | T1_RETAIL_COST | 'Dealer Cost = ' |
T1_DEALER_COST | '''>' | T1_PROFIT | '</span>';
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
MO_PROFIT AS '&TITLE_MSG'
RETAIL_COST
DEALER_COST
PROFIT
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=MO_PROFIT, JUSTIFY=RIGHT, $
ENDSTYLE
END

Expert
posted Hide Post
This is an example of an embedded new-line in the title attribute:

-SET &TITLE_MSG = '<span style="cursor: default;" ' | 'title="Retail Cost minus Dealer Cost">Profit</span>';

DEFINE FILE CAR
PROFIT/D7          = RETAIL_COST - DEALER_COST;
T1_PROFIT/A12      = FPRINT(PROFIT, 'D7', 'A12');
T1_RETAIL_COST/A12 = FPRINT(RETAIL_COST, 'D7', 'A12');
T1_DEALER_COST/A12 = FPRINT(DEALER_COST, 'D7', 'A12');
MO_PROFIT/A255 =
   '<span style="cursor: default;" title="'
|| 'Retail Cost = ' || (' ' | LJUST(12, T1_RETAIL_COST, 'A12'))
|| ( ' ' | '&|#013;'
|| 'Dealer Cost = ' || (' ' | LJUST(12, T1_DEALER_COST, 'A12'))
|| '">') || T1_PROFIT || '</span>';
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
MO_PROFIT AS '&TITLE_MSG'
RETAIL_COST
DEALER_COST
PROFIT
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=MO_PROFIT, JUSTIFY=RIGHT, $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

& # 0 1 3 ; is a new line. The | in & | # 0 1 3 ; is required because WF interprets the ampersand as a Dialogue Manager variable.

Anything more sophisticated than my example above requires CSS, and/or JavaScript or jQuery. (as per the second link below, you could embed a tab character to line up the titles)

Here are two good threads on StackOverflow:
newline in < td title=“”> [duplicate]
How can I use a carriage return in a HTML tooltip?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
That is what I was looking for!!

Thank You Francis