Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Borders in Excel 2007 (EXL07)

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Borders in Excel 2007 (EXL07)
 Login/Join

posted
So we have a requirement to use the EXL07 format for a client's reports. They are wanting us to break up logical sections of the report with borders to make it easier for the end users to read the report, but for some reason while I can get these working on EXL2K I can't get them to show up at all on EXL07.

I have tried the normal:
TYPE=DATA,
     COLUMN=N2,
     BORDER-LEFT=MEDIUM,
$

I have also made an xltx template file with the borders pre-defined in the template, but that also fails. All of the borders are stripped out of the template. The only thing it kept in my test template was the tab name.

The only solutions we've come up with so far is to put in blank columns, but the client is opposed to that because they have some automated processes that source the excel files.

Has anyone found a good way to add borders to Excel 2007+?

Thanks,

Ed

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

77.0.3 to 8202, Windows/Linux, All Formats

Posts: 8 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 25, 2012Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
If you select EXL2K the line will be inserted in Excel 2007 but you do get a warning about an incompatible version. You should probably open a case for this as a bug.

WF 7.7.04, WF 8.0.7, Win7, Win8, Linux, UNIX, Excel, PDF

Posts: 175 | Location: Pomona, NY | Registered: August 06, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Smithec,

I'm sure that CAN be done. Can you make an example of that with an IB Sample file such as the infamous CAR file so I / we can show you an example?

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Doug,

Sorry for the late reply, but got sidetracked on another project. The file I was working on is below.

-* File Spacingtest.fex
TABLE FILE CAR
-*     BORDER-LEFT=LIGHT,
-*     BORDER-LEFT=MEDIUM,
-*     BORDER-LEFT=HEAVY,
PRINT 
     CAR.COMP.CAR
     CAR.CARREC.MODEL
     CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE
     CAR.BODY.SEATS
     CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST
     CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST
     CAR.BODY.SALES
     CAR.SPECS.LENGTH
     CAR.SPECS.WIDTH
     CAR.SPECS.HEIGHT
     CAR.SPECS.WEIGHT
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD 
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL07 TEMPLATE 'excel07template' SHEETNUMBER 1
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     INCLUDE = endeflt,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     GRAPHCOLOR='GREEN',
$
TYPE=DATA,
     COLUMN=N2,
     BORDER-LEFT=MEDIUM,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     OBJECT=MENU,
     COLOR='WHITE',
     HOVER-COLOR=RGB(66 70 73),
     BACKCOLOR=RGB(102 102 102),
     HOVER-BACKCOLOR=RGB(218 225 232),
     BORDER-COLOR='WHITE',
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     OBJECT=STATUS-AREA,
     COLOR='WHITE',
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     OBJECT=CURRENT-ROW,
     HOVER-BACKCOLOR=RGB(218 225 232),
     BACKCOLOR=RGB(200 200 200),
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     OBJECT=CALC-AREA,
     COLOR='WHITE',
$
ENDSTYLE
END

I don't think the template file helps, but if it matters I pre-styled the columns I wanted to have the border in that template, but all those styles appear to be overwritten by the fex output.

As Alex stated above this works fine in EXL2K but not in EXL07 which is part of the design requirements for my current project.

-Ed

77.0.3 to 8202, Windows/Linux, All Formats

Posts: 8 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 25, 2012Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You're out of luck I'm afraid. This is from Dev Studio help files -

Reference: Support for Excel Templates
EXL2K and EXL2K FORMULA are the only formats supported and Excel templates will only work with Excel 2002 and higher versions.

The following are not supported with Excel templates: EXL2K PIVOT, EXL2K BYTOC reports, EXL97, EXCEL, and compound Excel reports.

With EXL2K TEMPLATE format, WEBARCHIVE is automatically on.

The PCHOLD command returns an .xmh file, which the mid-tier converts to an .mht. HOLD creates an .xht file

Whilst it doesn't exactly state EXL07 in the second section, it can be implied from the statement about creating an .xmh file etc. at the end. EXL07 output creates an .xlsx file which is "true" MS Excel 2007 binary.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I've always found borders to be somewhat untrustworthy when outputting to excel. They never have seemed to work right. As a workaround, you might be able to build a macro to place the border seperation into the report. Its not pretty, but it might get you there.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post