Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Animations should be a lot faster

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Animations should be a lot faster
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Animations are fun to watch the first time. The second time not so much. The third time they become annoying: we have a stacked graph that has an animation that takes about three seconds to complete. Way too long.

How can we reduce the waiting time?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 8.0.0.8, Windows 7

Posts: 36 | Location: Portland, OR (USA) | Registered: October 11, 2012Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Anyone out there with WebFOCUS 8 ?

I guess this is part of the new stuff.

At this stage if no one replies, put a case in with Techsupport.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Animations should be off by default even. What's the point of making users wait for their information?

I suspect that the only people who are interested in animations are those who do presentations about WF8.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
If you have used InfoAssist to turn on animations, you can find a JSON object in your FEX:

*GRAPH_JS
"introAnimation": {
"enabled": true
},

To reduce the duration of an animation change it to something like

*GRAPH_JS
"introAnimation": {
"enabled": true,
"duration": 300
},

300 milliseconds is a nice, moderate compromise.

WebFOCUS 8.0.0.8, Windows 7

Posts: 36 | Location: Portland, OR (USA) | Registered: October 11, 2012Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Wep,

where as I do agree with you on animations being a waste of time... There is something to be said about the user experience. Animations add to that user experience and can sometimes be the difference between adoption and failure. I think Marc's solution of minimizing the animation to palatable length is a good solution for getting your user to their information quickly while still providing the razzle dazzle that end users enjoy.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
This is a slight diversion from the original "technical" topic ... but ...

Like Wep, I too am always challenging the real value of animation, but ultimately I realise I need to share Eric's view.

The keynote speaker at Summit was quite a "cool dude" and showed some very interesting visual representations of data.

He discussed a point that stuck in my mind though.

He called it the OOH/AAH principle - which is how we should measure any form of visualisation of data.

Your first reaction should always be OOH - a positive OOH obviously Cool i.e. you see something that is visually appealing / you see something that catches your attention.

Then your second reaction should be AAH - when you understand what it is that the visualisation is representing.

A good rule of thumb though? And as developers we need to evaluate what we create from the perspective of the "end user".

So if animation will appeal to the end user, then it should be there!

But remember - a pig with lipstick is still a pig! Wink

WebFOCUS 8.2.06 mostly Windows Server

Posts: 195 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: September 13, 2008Report This Post
<Emily Duensing>
posted
I believe there are a couple of settings for animation so you can control the timing as well as only do it once. Like it was said above, the first time is cool, but after that it is just annoying. There is now a setting so the animation only happens once. Not totally sure which release that is surfaced in; possibly production, maybe the next.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's the point of making users wait for their information?
Many have said that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". And so it is with animation as well. Perhaps there should be a user selectable control which allows THE USER to select animation of not and is merely defaulted to whatever the developer , or specifications, dictate. ~ imho ~

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post