Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Assign Column To Variable [SOLVED]

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Assign Column To Variable [SOLVED]
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hi All, I am having an issue with extracting a field to be a variable and wanted to see if you guys could help as I am sure others have had this issue.

TABLE FILE US_CONV_RATES
SUM
	 FST.CLS_PRICE AS 'CUR_CAD'
WHERE FROM_COUNTRY EQ 'CAD';
ON TABLE HOLD AS CUR_CAD FORMAT ALPHA
END

TABLE FILE CUR_CAD
SUM
	 CUR_CAD
ON TABLE SAVE AS CUR_CAD
END
-RUN
-READ CUR_CAD &CUR_CAD.P18.6

-TYPE &CUR_CAD 

I am trying to extract the USD to CAD conversion rate from this table which stores that information in a P18.6 format. Unfortunately I am getting an error that it is an invalid format for a read function. Because this is a currency conversion I need to make sure I pick up the decimal points. I did also try changing the code -READ CUR_CAD &CUR_CAD.P18.6 to -READ CUR_CAD &CUR_CAD.A24 but that was unsuccessful as well and I got an error that a value was missing for &CUR_CAD.

I also tried converting CLS_PRICE to be a A24 instead of a P18.6 by multiplying by 1,000,000 which allowed me to successfully extract the value to a variable. Unfortunately once I had the value as a variable I wasn't able to convert it back to having the decimal place as any calculations would result in the rounded number without the 6 decimal positions.

Thanks in advance for all of your help, I want to make sure I handle this in an efficient and practical matter.

Thanks,

-Luke

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Luke Forster,

Web Focus 8105
Windows 7

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Try this
TABLE FILE US_CONV_RATES
SUM FST.CLS_PRICE AS 'CUR_CAD'
WHERE FROM_COUNTRY EQ 'CAD';
ON TABLE HOLD AS CURCAD FORMAT BINARY
END
-RUN
-READFILE CURCAD
-RUN
-TYPE CUR_CAD VALUE IS : &CUR_CAD

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Martin,

It worked perfectly, thank you for the quick response.

I do have a question about -READFILE though, are there any downsides to extracting the value to a variable the way you showed in your code? This seems like a much easier way to accomplish bringing a value from a table to be a variable but I haven't ever seen it done that way before. Not sure if this is possibly a newer feature or something like that but before I adjust to always doing it this way by default I wanted some additional info.

Thanks,

-Luke

Web Focus 8105
Windows 7

Expert
posted Hide Post
There are two issues, I've found with -READFILE.

1. The variable may get prompted for, if there isn't a -DEFAULTH or -SET of each column in the HOLD file.
2. If the -READ is in a look, it will produce a WARNING, that may cause report caster to fail (If its a scheduled job).

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. The variable may get prompted for, if there isn't a -DEFAULTH or -SET of each column in the HOLD file.
2. If the -READ is in a look, it will produce a WARNING, that may cause report caster to fail (If its a scheduled job).

Right Waz, must DEFAULTH all variables to avoid auto prompting. Ideally, -SET them to a default value such as '', this way no prompting and no warning.

Luke, the -READFILE appears somewhere in WF77x and you may be able to find documentation about it in Tech Support.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
What you will find is that a -READFILE will warn you that you are overwriting a variable, it is already exists.

A way around that is to issue a -SET &var =; before it, to clear the variable.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Luke,

Whilst Waz and Martin have, IMHO, given you the better method, I think that you need to know why your -READ didn't work.

There are two reasons really. The first is that when using -READ, only integer and alpha formats are acceptable. So your attempted use of a packed decimal was doomed to fail.

The second reason is likely to be the fact that, as a default, dialogue manager numeric variables will have no decimal places. You can change this behaviour by using SET DMPRECISION=n.

The location in the tech doc is here, just click on the "Using an Amper Variable in an Expression" link.

This may be of use to you even when using -READFILE

Good luck

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If I may add my two cents concerning DM variables and -READ:
What Tony says about decimals is true when you use DM variables in calculations. However, when reading from an ASCII file you will get all the characters, decimal point and decimals included.
Try the following:

DEFINE FILE CAR
RC/P12.2=RETAIL_COST/100;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT MAX.RC
ON TABLE SAVE
END
-RUN
-READ SAVE,&RC
-RUN
-TYPE &RC

You should get 88.78

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Danny,

Oh so true, but if you add the following code to the end of your example, without SET DMPRECISION = 2, you get 88!

-SET &RC = &RC * 1
-TYPE &RC

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post