Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Issue reading data from Flat Files with large amounts of data

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Issue reading data from Flat Files with large amounts of data
 Login/Join

<Vinod>
posted
Scenario-1:
TABLE FILE AAA
PRINT *
WHERE XX EQ 'YY';
END
When i use where conditions initially it does not pull the data.

Scenario-2:
TABLE FILE AAA
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS BBB
END
TABLE FILE BBB
PRINT *
WHERE XX EQ 'YY';
END
This works fine, because i am holding and then giving the sort condition for the hold file.

Can anyone help me in giving the reason why is this so?

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
ideally 2nd scenario should be

TABLE FILE AAA
PRINT *
WHERE XX EQ 'YY';
ON TABLE HOLD AS BBB
END
TABLE FILE BBB
PRINT *
END

no idea why 1st not working....ideally u should pull the filtered data from big tables ..then hold...then slice dice....

WF Server: 7.1.4 on Z/OS and Linux, ReportCaster
Data: DB2, DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server, Oracle Output: HTML,PDF,Excel2K
WF Client: Servlet, CGI

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Vinod

Can you tell us what the field source is and what the screening condition is you are using.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Alan B,

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Also as an addendum to Alan's question, are some of the fields not pulling 'defined fields' not actual data fields?

Since you indicate you are reading from a flat file are we to assume no joins in place?

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
<Vinod>
posted
I had created a flat file with the data recieved which was huge and also created Master file. There is only one file(Master)
Now when i use this file to report since the data is from a flat file with huge records in it, sometimes it used to work for where conditions and sometime not. So i tried to hold the file and then use where conditions it worked always.
I was just curious to know if any of you have faced this before.

Note: No joins only one file used.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
My guess is that your Master is not defined correctly and you may be pulling records from the next row of data which may/may not provide correct data.

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2003,SQL Server 2005,Oracle

Posts: 125 | Location: New England | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I agree with Rick, you're master might not be correct. If you do a
TABLEF file flatfile
PRINT somefield

from the flat file with no screening do you get the same number of records back that are in the flat file?

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
ditto
CHECK FILE mastername
is a great command to see how long your master is, and make sure your inbound text file is the same length.
Is your file specified as FIX, or COM, or COMT, or DFIX or... what type?
Also, there's ...
CHECK FILE mastername HOLD
TABLE FILE HOLD PRINT *
END
Also if your inbound flat is from a sql db, and it has /AnV fields, you're in a world of hurt. You have to define them to fixed fields, get rid of the V, and read the fixed fieldnames, re-extracting the flat file from its source.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
CHECK FILE mastername HOLD

I love this command for documentation purposes or just to alphabatize a master that I reference frequently to hang on my wall.

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post