Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Dashboard: devide domains over tabs

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Dashboard: devide domains over tabs
 Login/Join

<Jochem>
posted
Hi all,

At the moment I'm working on creating a new Dashboard at a client.
They've been using WebFOCUS for a while, but since it's now going to be used company-wide some changes need to be made to the dashboard, group- and domain-structure.

The problem I'm now facing is that we have a big number of reports (100+) which I would like to get into the Dasboard as structured as possible.
Preferred way to do it here would be to create something like 7 or so tabs, and assign multiple domains (or folders) to each tab so you would also have a tree to navigate through in each tab.

Now; I can't seem to find a way to do this. The "folder" block type seems to come close, but only shows one folder.
The domain/role tree comes close, but shows all domains at once, and I'd like to devide these over the tabs. The "tree" block type also shows everything.

Anyone know of any way to get this done in MRE?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Looks like you've discovered all of the "out of the box" possibilities - meaning that those are your options without doing your own coding. About the only other thing within MRE would be to totally redesign the way your reports are assigned to domains until you get what you need through one of the options you've already mentioned.

Another option would be to create your own HTML page of links to the desired reports but you would have to maintain it manually.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Darin Lee,

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
<Jochem>
posted
Hi Darin,

First of all; best wishes for the new year.

Thanks for your reply.
I guess I'll have to do some coding then, also no problem.
Is there a way in which I can still use the group/domains in WebFOCUS, in other words: a way for me to retrieve from MRE which user belongs to which groups and retrieve the domainstructure? Perhaps from an XML file anywhere on the server?
I could of course make my own database, but I think in this instance it would be best to stick to using the MRE tools for the groups and domains, since the client is already familiar with them.

Report This Post
<Jochem>
posted
OK, one step further now: I'm now able to read the roletree.xml in the x:\ibi\WebFOCUS76\worp\conf\ dir via a WebFOCUS masterfile.
The file contains the entire group-domainstructure which I can now read. Step two would be to find out which user has access to which group.

Anyone know where I can find this information?
I've been looking through the other XML-docs, but I can only seem to connect the users to their standard (group)-view. While users can off course be part of multiple groups.

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Jochem,

Instead of tricking with the XML files I would suggest to use Apache Derby for managed reporting.

I'm not sure if it's allready supplied in current releases, but here you'll find a way to implement it:

http://www.informationbuilders.com/new/newsletter/9-4/02_Bonoan.html

Frans

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post
<Jochem>
posted
Hi Frans,

This is exactly what I'm looking for! It looks like you can still manage everything with the standard MRE-tools, but I can access all the data via a DB.
I'll dive into it and see what the best way would be to implement it here.

Bedankt!

Report This Post
<Jochem>
posted
Dag Frans,

Having read the article I have an extra question.
In most of the projects I've worked with clients used the standard MRE settings or no MRE at all, so I don't seem to have much knowledge on this subject; but do I understand correctly that in stead of the files in the conf (and basedir) directory I can easily select another way to store the MRE information in the Administration Console?
In other words: the client here uses SQL Server for pretty much everything, I could also store this in SQL Server?

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Jochem,

Yes you can connect MR authentication to MSSQL Server, but depending on the client's situation there could be better possibilities, like Integrated Windows Authentication.

An intersting benefit for users will be single signon.

Check this for more info:
http://documentation.informationbuilders.com/masterinde...ec/07sec.htm#1106989

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post
<Jochem>
posted
Dag Frans,

OK; I've changed the connection to SQL Server 2005 and created the MRE-DB via the WebFOCUS script, all I seem to have to do is fiddle with it a bit to get it to work (logins are denied at the moment, probably something small).

About the single sign-on, they have it here already and it certainly is worth keeping this.
If I'm not mistaken I can get this to work to leave the "Authentication" trusted and make the "Authorization" "External Directory" right?

If I can get this to work like this then it's exactly what we need here.

Thanks again for your help sofar!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Jochem>,

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
You could user the Managed Reporting Extract Utility to create focus files that you can report on. We have created reports from this information to count number of developers/users for a given application as well as Reports on which users belong to which groups. And what that groups domains are. Documentation is in the Managed Reporting Administration Guide and it gives you the layout of the masters and sample procedures.

Webfocus 8.0.7 on Windows

Posts: 176 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
<Jochem>
posted
To let you all know the solution I've now implemented: we're storing the MRE information (Users, Groups and Domains) in SQL Server now.
The clients uses Integrated Windows Authentication in combination with the SQL Server 2005 Authorization.

Additionally I've created one extra table in the database to also contain the tabs and the domain-IDs I wanted to show per tab, and a VIEW which connects all tables together (so I just have a single MASTER file).

The last step for me was to create a fex which outputs the domains and its contents for a tab, also based on the user's rights. The fex now outputs HTML and Javascript so you have a complete tree with collapsable folders and such.
If anyone is interested in this tree-procedure, just let me know; always happy to share.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I am also trying to the same thing. I am at the point to create the fex to built the tree. I used ExpandbyROw for now. I do not like it as it puts blank lines before the lowest level of the tree. Secondly the number of levels has to be fixed.

Webfocus 7.7.04, Windows, HTML,Excel , Active PDF, Active HTML, Flex Enable