Focal Point
[CLOSED] CHECK FILE PICTURE (for WebFOCUS)

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8257072706

July 22, 2011, 11:55 AM
Doug
[CLOSED] CHECK FILE PICTURE (for WebFOCUS)
I know that CHECK FILE PICTURE works fine in a non-web display (fixed font with leading spaces). But, is there a CHECK FILE PICTURE for WebFOCUS which display the output correctly? I just did a a search on "CHECK FILE PICTURE" and didn't find anything worthwhile (unless I missed it Confused).

Please let us all know if there is such a thing.

Thanks in Advance to all the POW. ~ Doug

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug,
July 22, 2011, 02:04 PM
Prarie
I don't think I understand the question.

which display the output correctly?
July 22, 2011, 02:52 PM
Francis Mariani
It displays in courier on my server.

Meanwhile, I opened a case and have a new feature request: "CHECK FILE PICTURE not useful with large Master file names". CHECK FILE is still working with file names of 8 characters.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
July 22, 2011, 03:56 PM
Doug
I'm talking about the alignment (or -misalignment) of the pictorial represenatation of the TABLE structure...
July 22, 2011, 04:09 PM
David Briars
I did a CHECK FILE GGORDER PICT, in the Command Console, and received the following result in the browser:

<PRE>
<H5>
 0 NUMBER OF ERRORS=     0
 NUMBER OF SEGMENTS=   2  ( REAL=    1  VIRTUAL=   1 )
 NUMBER OF FIELDS=    12  INDEXES=   0  FILES=     2
 TOTAL LENGTH OF ALL FIELDS=   92
 1SECTION 01
 STRUCTURE OF FOCUS    FILE GGORDER  ON 07/22/11 AT 15.05.09
 ORDER01
 01      S1
 *ORDER_NUMBER**
 *ORDER_DATE  **
 *STORE_CODE  **
 *PRODUCT_CODE**
 I
 I
 I
 I ORDER02
 02    I KU
 :PRODUCT_ID  :K
 :PRODUCT_DES :
 :VENDOR_CODE :
 :VENDOR_NAME :
 :            :
 :............:
 GGPRODS

</H5>

It looks like the picture is fairly well represented, except that everything is 'left justified'.

Is this 'left justification' what you are seeing?

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster
July 22, 2011, 04:21 PM
Doug
quote:
Is this 'left justification' what you are seeing?
Yeppers... And that's not good enough... try it with EMPLOYEE. There's also a wrap at 80(?) characters which causes width issues.
July 25, 2011, 06:06 AM
GamP
This has been this way since the very first web-edition of focus. I doubt if anything will be done to create a better looking presentation.
Alternatively, you could start the interactive agent tool (Start/programs/Information Builders/Webfocus 77 server/diagnostic functions) and do the command there. This will present the data a bit better, although there also it is limited to 80 positions. But the alignment is a lot better.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988
July 25, 2011, 07:14 AM
FrankDutch
This command was available far before the first web version of Focus.
Does anybody remember DOS? (something before windows)

This worked in PCFocus version 2.1 (or maybe earlier)
Back in 1984 (feel old when I tell ppl this)

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

July 27, 2011, 02:25 AM
<JG>
Open the file in the synonym editor and go to the modeling view tab.

Perfect graphical view although the segtype etc. info is not included in the image.
That is displayed in the properties box when you select a particular segment.
July 27, 2011, 02:45 PM
Doug
Frowner "doubt if anything will be done to create a better looking presentation."
Smiler "This will present the data a bit better"
Frowner "although there also it is limited to 80 positions"
Smiler "But the alignment is a lot better."
July 27, 2011, 03:11 PM
<JG>
WebFOCUS is WebFOCUS, FOCUS is FOCUS.

WebFOCUS is graphic based, FOCUS is text based.

CHECK FILE XYZ PICTURE is FOCUS,
sytnax that is as old as FOCUS (as Gerry likes to remind everyone it started the same year as Microsoft),
BUT IT IS TEXT BASED as was MS DOS.

The web does not like text unless it is specically formated for it.

FOCUS does not know or understand web, that's the job of WebFOCUS.

However tools are in place to deliver things web wise.

Just use the correct tool for the job.
August 05, 2011, 09:35 AM
Doug
JG, Thanks for the insight for the newbies... However, I understand all that and and agree. I'm just saying that (imho) I think that "CHECK FILE [FILENAME] PICTURE" should have followed the ways of the web (WebFOCUS) and been enhanced along the way. Then, "CHECK FILE [FILENAME] PICTURE" would present a web-friendly "PICTURE. Wouldn't you, or anyone else, agree?

I know that the JOINs can be seen in the GHUI. But not a multi-segmented file. Or can it?
August 05, 2011, 10:36 AM
Håkan
Frank

CHECK FILE did, if I'm not mistaken, work in PC/FOCUS 0.6 ..........

WebFOCUS DS 8.0.06/08 DS/AS
WebFOCUS RS 8.0.08 (Linux/IBM i)
WebFOCUS Client 8.0.06 (Linux)
August 06, 2011, 10:05 AM
George Patton
quote:
Originally posted by FrankDutch:
This command was available far before the first web version of Focus.
Does anybody remember DOS? (something before windows)

This worked in PCFocus version 2.1 (or maybe earlier)
Back in 1984 (feel old when I tell ppl this)

Don't feel bad Frank. I not only have a working copy of PC FOCUS (also a Multi-user version !!) but also an original IBM PC that it ran on ... Just last week I even stumbled upon a program I wrote with CRTFORMS and PF keys to navigate with ....

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP
August 08, 2011, 06:26 PM
Doug
I have an 8" floppy disk. Would you copy it there for me?
August 09, 2011, 08:57 AM
jgelona
You guys are too funny. I long for the good old days (not really) before PC FOCUS used expanded memory. Trying to get a mulit-user MODIFY with CRTFORMS to run in about 400K was a challenge at times.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.
August 09, 2011, 05:14 PM
Håkan
jgelona,

what about going to a trade show with 0.6 (or maybe 0.8) without MODIFY? SCAN was the way to get data into your db....

WebFOCUS DS 8.0.06/08 DS/AS
WebFOCUS RS 8.0.08 (Linux/IBM i)
WebFOCUS Client 8.0.06 (Linux)
August 15, 2011, 05:32 PM
Doug
quote:
Trying to get a mulit-user MODIFY with CRTFORMS to run in about 400K was a challenge at times.
Those were the days, my friend We thought they'd never end... Remember that song? Who sang it?

August 16, 2011, 09:17 AM
GamP
Mary Hopkins, I believe it was her that made the song famous (back in '68) ..

Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988
August 16, 2011, 10:21 AM
George Patton
Gosh! Mary Hopkins !! It was a good song...

As for operating PC FOCUS in 400K, we used a funny little memory card called a MAXIT in our PCs that allowed all the little 16K and 32K gaps that existed between 640K and 1024K to be aggregated together as useable memory. For those who don't remember, the IBM PC actually came with 1 meg of memory, but everything above 640K was reserved for the system. The space between 640 and 1024 was occupied by the command interpreter, COMMAND.COM, video cards, network cards, etc. but there were gaps between the memory addresses that normally couldn't be used by any DOS programs. The MAXIT cards, which had 4 banks of 8 switches each could be carefully set, with much trial and error, to take advantage of those gaps.

Another thing we did was to COMPILE the MODIFYs which shrank the memory requirement for each of them by about 50% if I recollect.

I actually have our first network server from 1965 here in my basement - an IBM PC with a whopping 10 megabyte hard drive...

Those were the days, indeed....

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP
August 16, 2011, 01:27 PM
BobSh
It was Mary Hopkin. She won an award for it back too many years ago in some kind of European singing contest. I was station in the Air Force in England at the time and you couldn't turn on the radio without hearing it.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05M, gen 144, Windows 2008 Server R2 64-bit, Tomcat 6.0.33, IIS 7.0, SQL Server, Excel 2013, PDF, HTML, FOCUS files.
August 17, 2011, 09:45 AM
DavSmith
Jeeze, you guys made plug in my "MyTouch" and use MOG to lookup "Mary Hopkin" and POW, there was the song. I hadn't heard it in years and, BOY, that was and is a great song. In my youth it was just a fun song to sing, in my middle age it takes on a much deeper meaning.

Thanks for going "Off-Topic"!

In FOCUS since 1985 - WF 8.009/8.104 Win 8 Outputs: ALL of 'em! Adapters: Sql Server Teradata Oracle