Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED]HTML Composer: Change link?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED]HTML Composer: Change link?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all,

I have an HTML page that was written in HTML Composer (App Studio). The FEX files the page references have changed location so I need to update the path/link used in the HTML page, but cannot for the life of me find where to do this in HTML Composer. I have already checked the Hyperlink section under Properties and do not see any way to edit the Requests defined in the Tasks section. I really don't want to have to rebuild half the HTML page every time a link needs to be updated....

Anybody have any insights?

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WebFocus 8.1.0.5; Windows Server 2012, Windows 7; All Outputs

Posts: 4 | Location: Missouri | Registered: April 18, 2016Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, you will "have to rebuild half the HTML page every time a link needs to be updated". If you used the GUI to build the page, you have to use the GUI to edit the page. You have to point-and-click to reference the fex in the new location. Heaven help you if you use a text editor to edit a GUI-built HTML page.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I ran into this problem after moving a FEX file that was called upon by a complex, self-service type HTML page.

I categorically deny that I opened up the HTML page in a text editor and found some XML markup code that referenced the FEX:

ibif_ex="/WFC/Repository/BIDEV/Self_Service/Self_Service.fex"

I deny that I changed the path to the FEX. This is not supported by IBI.

I also deny that I get a nag message now when opening up the page in App Studio. Something about "this file was edited outside of the GUI" or something like that.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies - I was able to make it work with the not-to-be-mentioned solution Big Grin

It boggles my mind why IBI is phasing out the tools and features Developers live in day in and day out...having to jump through hoops like this just to make a minor link change is flat out absurd!!

WebFocus 8.1.0.5; Windows Server 2012, Windows 7; All Outputs

Posts: 4 | Location: Missouri | Registered: April 18, 2016Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The Developers are being replaced by empowered Users.

According to Wired, we're Finished:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Francis Mariani:
The Developers are being replaced by empowered Users.

According to Wired, we're Finished:

Well, two things:

1) Human programmers won't be needed in the future until computers try to divide by zero. Which won't take long.

2) WIRED magazine is selling copies in front of a magazine that is touting an article titled "Pole Dancing for Beginners". Doesn't do much for the credibility thing.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Or maybe coding is not dead ...

"If you are joining the company in your 20s, unlike when I joined, you’re going to learn to code. It doesn’t matter whether you are in sales, finance or operations. You may not end up being a programmer, but you will know how to code."

-- Jeff Immelt, Chairman and CEO at GE

Full article is here:
Why GE is giving up employee ratings

WebFOCUS 8.2.06

Posts: 210 | Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan | Registered: October 19, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Both good news!
Fabuplus - "Pole Dancing for Beginners"
GE - "you’re going to learn to code"

Francis

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I found another work around for this that seems to do the trick.

What you can do is create a new external request (for example) to the new updated location for the referenced fex. Give it the same exact name.

If there are parameters, drag them from the old incorrect path to the new one. Once they are all there, delete the reference to the old (broken) reference and everything should now work.

The key is the names must be exactly the same.

I should also note that this method will NOT work for dropdowns (dynamic requests) and you will still need to re-link those under settings. You may also need to click each of the parameters under the new link and choose Send as mine defaulted to Don't send.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RyanIPG13,

Production: WebFOCUS 8.202M
QA: WebFOCUS 8.206.01
Windows/SQL