Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Saving Output to Local Computer

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Saving Output to Local Computer
 Login/Join

posted
Hello -

I'm having trouble saving a report output to my local computer (HOLD or SAVE - I don't care because I don't need the master file.)

The query runs fine, but I get errors writing the output file.

I'm pretty sure (but not positive) this has to do with set up, environment, permissions, etc. and not so much with issuing the FILEDEF or ALLOC command.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Posts: 10 | Location: Great Barrington, MA | Registered: October 23, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You would need to do an ON TABLE PCHOLD or use ON TABLE SET ONLINE-FMT=output type to allow it to return to the browser and let your file assocations handle the open/save functionality.

ON TABLE HOLD, ON TABLE SAVE, FILEDEF and ALLOC only refer to locations relative to the server where WF is running. They will never return data to a local PC (unless your WF server has a mapped/shared drive to your local PC.)

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Darin -

Thanks for the suggestion. ON TABLE PCHOLD AS [filename] FORMAT [fileformat] does not result in a file being saved to my local computer.

I've tried ON TABLE PCHOLD ... along with FILEDEF but still no local file.

Posts: 10 | Location: Great Barrington, MA | Registered: October 23, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Please update your profile signature with your product suite, releases, and platforms so that we might better help you.

Unless you are running WebFOCUS on the PC that you work on, as Darin said, you will never get the file as it is written to a directory where the reporting servers resides. You would have to allocate it permanently with a filedef and then ftp it to your desktop.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That's really all there is to it. ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF would open Adobe Reader (if the browser has that association) or a dialogue box to open or save if it does not have the association. Same for EXL2K, ALPHA, etc. One exception would be that you cannot PCHOLD FORMAT FOCUS. Why, I don't know, but it is documented that way.

The only other thing I can think of is that you have some browser tool or pug-in that is not allowing file transfers and such. I don't think a pop-up blocker would have any effect, but you might try turning them off and testing.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
If you are wanting this as a flat file on your computer you would have to have your computer mapped as a drive on the server where it is running. Kind of an ugly solution. The FTP option is actually much better. You may be able to code the FTP instructions into your fex or through report caster.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the information and suggestions. I will work with the WF administrator to save the output to the reporting server.

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please update your profile signature with your product suite, releases, and platforms so that we might better help you.

Dan, don't forget to do the above.

If you want to save a data file to the reporting server, you don't necessarily need to involve the administrator. You can do it right in your focexec.

One method is to use the APP HOLD directory_name. This will save the hold file and the master in the directory you specify. If the directory is not in your ibi/apps, you can do an APP MAP first to point to it. If you only want to save the data file, you can say APP HOLDDATA. Please look up these commands in Advanced Search.

Another method is APP FI or FILEDEF which are equivalent commands, the former being the more current syntax. This allows you to specify exactly where the file is supposed to go. Please look up this command as well.

Good luck.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
<dab448>
posted
Try this code.
-*The user must have write permission the drive/server for this to work
FILEDEF DAVE DISK \\YOURCOMPUTERNAME\C$\DAVE.XLS
-RUN
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
MODEL
SEATS
COMPUTE SEATSPLUS/I2 = SEATS + 1;
BY COUNTRY