Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Dev Studio 7.6.5 - accented characters problem

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Dev Studio 7.6.5 - accented characters problem
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
I open a fex in the Dev Studio text editor.
I type an accented character in the fex, e.g. é.
I then save and close the document.
When I re-open the document the accented character is replaced by a white square
(unknown character?), e.g. □.

This happens on files located on both the local Windows server and the AIX server.

The command ? LANG has the same result on both servers:

NATIONAL LANGUAGE INFORMATION
 Language                001/AMENGLISH   (   ,en)
 Code Page               437
 Client Code Page        437
 Dollar                  24($)
 Lowcase alphabet        YES
 Decimal notation        OFF(.)
 Currency symbol         $
 Date/Time format        EDA
 NLS sort                NO
 NLS upcase/lowcase      NO
 NLS Control Characters  OFF
 DBCS Flag               OFF(SBCS)

I verified that Dev Studio > Window > Options > General tab > Store data as ANSI is checked. I have found no other setting in Dev Studio that relates to code pages or language.

For the local Windows server, I can type the accented characters into the fex and save it. It's only once I manipulate the fex in Dev Studio (edit the file, drag-and-drop copy the file, etc) that the accented characters are dropped.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Only difference I notice is that both my local server and my Linux WF server show Code Page 137 instead of 437.

On second thought, I also noticed we have export LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1 in the server startup script.

Hopefully one or both of those will get you what you need. We do not have the issue and have several dozen reports in Spanish using those special characters.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Darin Lee,

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I changed the WebFOCUS Client Code Page to 137 ("U.S. English" or "Western European"). Now, when I type éçâ into a fex from DevStudio and open it in a local text editor (EditPlus), I get ‚‡ƒ instead. EditPlus is set to ANSI. If I re-open the file in Dev Studio text editor, the characters are OK. I gather 137 is not the right code page.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Darin,

What server startup script would I put this in?

quote:
export LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1

On the local Windows server, both WebFOCUS and Tomcat is started as a service.

Thanks.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Is it C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.0\bin\startup.bat?

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Frankie M,

Note that when you get to 7.6.9 the Save as ANSI (or what ever it was) has disappeared from DS Options - something else to add to the list Frowner!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how that would work in a Windows environment - mine is on Linux.

Did you change the code page for the WF Client as well as the server? It has to change for both - especially since editing through DS is using the client.

If you have not done so, I would recommend going through the "National Language Support for International Computing" manual available on tech support's doc library. It is pretty comprehensive - just a matter of deciding what code page you need, platform to be used, and how to configure. They're all covered pretty well in that doc.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Darin,

Thanks a lot for the info on the doc. I'll download it shortly and see if it helps.

Cheers,

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Darin,

Thanks very much. Reading the document helped me resolve the problem (only on the Windows server for the moment).

Following instructions found in the document, I set the NLS WebFOCUS code page to 137 in both the WebFOCUS Admin Console and the WebFOCUS Server Console. This seems to have corrected the problem.

Now to get my AIX support people to make the same changes.

Thanks again.

Francis