Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] file errors

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] file errors
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
hello, I want a file or an example that shows me how to control the errors, when no data when the server has fallen, thank you very much I have aprove this:
IF &LINES EQ 0 THEN GOTO ERROR ELSE GOTO BIEN
-ERROR
-HTMLFORM BEGIN

EROR

-HTMLFORM END
-BIEN
-EXIT
I WANT SOMEONE BEST

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Posts: 62 | Registered: September 18, 2008Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Three posts, three demands.

All very, very basic stuff,

Three answers.

Read the manuals,
Search the forum,
GET SOME BASIC TRAINING.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Read the manuals,
Search the forum,
GET SOME BASIC TRAINING.
Good One So eloquent and straight to the point! Wink You must have read my thoughts ... but forgot one -

Update your signature.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
but no thank you helped me a greeting I want code examples

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
whenusearch uwill find alotof code examples also in course matertial

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
sometimes these conversations read a bit like:

poster: i need answer
helper: we first need to know x, y, z
helper2: well despite the lack of info i would suggest this solution.....
helper2: did you try my solution?
helper: are you actually reading and understanding the replies?

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
All joking aside Wink

You can weed out errors by checking for &RETCODE, &IORETURN, &LINES (as you have shown), &RECORDS, &FOCERRNUM and loads more. It all depends upon the context of the code in which you require the control.

It would take a long time to explain to you when to use different methods and it's not something that I have the time for.

So, if there is a specific situation you have then post that question and I'm sure folks will be able to help. In the mean time, use the search function (top right link on this page), Read your manuals (if you have any - if not get your company to purchase some) and if necessary get some training to help you through the initial process of learning the language. All three of these were suggested to you originally by J.G.

If Englsh is not your first language then add your location to your signature and I'm sure that folks who converse in your mother tongue will try and help you out by responding in your own language.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Update Signature..doesn't seem to registar for some without specific instructions...

** Update signature
1) Logon to Focal Point and go into your complete profile.
2) Scroll down the page until you see the “Signature” field.
3) Fill in the signature you want to use. Here is a sample to model:

Prod: WebFOCUS 5.2.3 on Win 2K/IIS 6/ISAPI Mode
Test: WebFOCUS 7.1 on Win 2K/IIS 6/Weblogic 8.1/Servlet Mode

4) Once all changes are made/added, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the Submit button.

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
we'll wait and see Prarie Big Grin

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
While I've been reading posts on the forum for quite some time, I just recently "joined" because this post, and several others lately, moved me to respond.

This post, like many others, shows the many numbers of people who do not appear to even try to search for the answers themselves. I'll be the first to admit that finding information can be difficult. But there are many times when what is asked is basic stuff that would have been learned in the most basic of training classes or easily found in the manuals.

And my hats off to Tony for having the guts to say (on a different post) that there are less than honorable people in this world. I too, unfortunately, have experience with consultants whose companies instruct them to say they have experience even if they do not. So to those who say we all benefit by helping the newbies, let me share this story.

In college, one of my two room mates (Jack) hated research and would continually ask Steve (the other room mate) for 'assistance'. Steve would respond by giving Jack a lecture about doing his own work but always give him the answer too. After several instances of watching Jack get berated by Steve for not doing his own research, I finally asked Jack why he kept going to Steve. His response? Why not - Steve may yell and holler but he gave the answer.

So if you really want to help the newbies, don't give them a fish - teach them to fish. You'll help the honorable people far more and more importantly, you won't be helping the dishonorable ones.

WebFocus 7.6
Windows
outputs vary: have used HTML, PDF and Excel

Gold member
posted Hide Post
sorry if at some point I'm honored and I bothered job the best I can'm just in the project and what I have to draw however I apologize.
It is very easy to say that when you already have a fishbowl.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Expertomad,

Please try to ask your question in your native tongue. I'm sure that someone will be able to help. To start with what nationality are you?

S'il vous plaît essayer de poser votre question dans votre langue maternelle. Je suis sûr que quelqu'un sera en mesure d'aider. Pour démarrer avec quelle nationalité êtes-vous?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Gold member
posted Hide Post
My nationality is Spanish and I try to learn English as fast as you can.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Spanish eh? Well post in spanish and see if someone can help? Particularly the guys at IB Iberia?

Y bien hecho por tratar de aprender un nuevo idioma y con un ir - una vergüenza que no parecen ser capaces de entender qué es lo que usted está pidiendo - I hope that's right? Smiler

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hay algunos de este lado del mar que hablan español también. Pero el problema más grande no es la idioma. La respuesta se encontrará facilmente en los documentos técnicos, si se la busca. Y a él que pide, se lo da, mientras a él que manda, no tan pronto.

Como dijo Tony, el uso de &RETCODE, &IORETURN, &LINES, &RECORDS, &FOCERRNUM puede resolver el problema. Todos se describen en los documentos.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Gracias por hablarme en mi idioma provare lo que me habeis dicho gracias a todo y si busco las cosas lo unico que alomjor no tengo la documentacion suficiente saludos a todos espero no molestar

Expert
posted Hide Post
Puede obtener la documentación mediante el enlace situado en la parte superior derecha de esta página o por acceder a soporte técnico.

Buena suerte

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Muchas gracias hechare un vistazo en estos dias por que ahora me tienen con otro trabajo ,un saludito y buen dia

Expert
posted Hide Post
You're welcome Smiler

For those of you wanting to know, I think the gist is (no, I don't speak spanish Wink) -

Expertomad didn't have access to documentation, however, he has been pointed in the right direction. Currently he has been given another job to do so he will review the suggestions at a later date.

Thanks also to Darin for jumping in Smiler

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks Darin and Tony...for going the extra mile here. Smiler

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Tony y Darin,

¡La paciencia que tuvieron me dejo realmente impresionada!

PROD: WebFOCUS 7.1.0 on Linux/Tomcat 5.5.12 (standalone)/Informix on AIX
TEST: WebFOCUS 7.1.3 on Linux/Tomcat 5.5.16 (standalone)/Informix on AIX

Posts: 53 | Location: Montreal,Quebec,Canada | Registered: February 13, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Lex,

Es realmente nada que Google tiene una excelente función de traducción y como he mencionado antes, no hablo español! Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It is a cool thing.

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstanislov:

So if you really want to help the newbies, don't give them a fish - teach them to fish. You'll help the honorable people far more and more importantly, you won't be helping the dishonorable ones.

I like to thank everyone in this community that each one is eager to help one another. The forum became my first resource when I have a problem. I also learned that if I post a simple question with codes,describe the problem I am facing, I will get better answer faster.

When the experts told newbies like me that we should read the manual, I know they speak with experience and respect their advices. But we are overhelmed and not knowing where to start sometimes. Throwing a book at us won't help, maybe say "go search on xxx topic" would help more, like JG did for me once by giving me a link to start with.

Hua

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS

Posts: 305 | Location: Winnipeg,MB | Registered: May 12, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hua,

I'm sure we'll keep that in mind. It is of course the intention of everyone in this forum to be of help to each other.
But what really counts though, is the way that people ask for this help. If it shows that they already have done their searches and if it is put in a normal polite asking way then we're all very much willing to help out. But if the post is in a sort of demanding way or if it a very basic question or problem that shows clearly that little or no trouble has been taken to first find a solution before putting it in the forum, then the willingness diminishes quite rapidly.

Tony, your suggestion of putting the question(s) in the native language is a very very good means of communicating. You were of course referring to the google translation page. This will certainly improve the way we can communicate with each other because it takes away the frustration there is of not understanding what the question is.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Tony, gracias par ayuda. otro dia mas sin verte en paraiso por los ricos y los pobres en nuestra pecera Smiler ...

translation (roughly) thankx for the help. just another day in paradise for the have and have nots in our fishbowl.

ira wf 538 aix 533

aix-533,websphere 5.1.1,apache-2.0,
wf 538(d), 537 (p),
==============
7.6.11 (t) aix 5312
websphere 6.1.19
apache 2.0

Expert
posted Hide Post
ira,

We're not ogres all the time Wink Razzer

Your comment above translates via Google translator to -

thanks par help. another day without seeing in paradise for the rich and the poor in our fishbowl

Choice!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986