Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Column Reference in Fex file

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Column Reference in Fex file
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I am working on a report for my client in which I came across a scenario where I get a column D_XXX_DS from oracle ref cursor, whereas in fex file I have used D_XX only but still it gives me the value what is expected by column D_XXX_DS.

There are 15 different columns returned from the cursor but column D_XXX_DS is the only column from the cursor starting with D.

What I would like to know is why this is happening in EDASERVE?

Are there any settings in webfocus for the same?

Thanks in Advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.1.7
Windows
Excel,HTML,PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
When making reference to a field, WebFOCUS will try to match the field name in your code (even if it's shorter) to an actual field in your data source and if it finds a match, it'll use that one.

So it makes perfect sense that WebFOCUS will recognize D_XX (as used in your .fex) as matching D_XXX_DS partially and will decide to use the latter, provided of course that no other field name can possible match the same partial name in the data source (which you already confirmed anyway).

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If you don't want WebFOCUS to use "truncated" field names but complete ones instead, you can:

SET FIELDNAME = NOTRUNC

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
SET FIELDNAME = NOTRUNC

This is new to me!

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
for me also...

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Me Too !

Another new thing learned. Smiler

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Are you guys serious? Confused It's hard to believe you did not know about NOTRUNC! It is one of my favourite and default settings in my reporting environment; very useful particularly when dealing with RDBMS tables (via masterfiles).

I used to like that WebFOCUS feature that allows accessing fields by using a truncated or short name. It was all good until the day when new fields were added to a database table and after refreshing the master file some reports that depended on it stopped working. The reason? those newly added fields had a similar prefix and the "truncated" name used in the .fex no longer matched a unique field but many of them Frowner By using NOTRUNC I am forcing myself to always use a complete field name instead of a truncated one; you may not do it on purpose but as the tool is very forgiving you may have code that runs fine without knowing that you have a potential bug.

Anyway, I'm glad something new was brought to the table. Well, not so new ... I use it in my WF 5.3.4 environment Wink

Neftali.

Expert
posted Hide Post
From my perspective, its perhaps laziness from my old MF FOCUS days.

Smiler

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Even after using SET FIELDNAME = NOTRUNC it seems to be working as it was earlier,
This may be bcoz i have only one column with similar signature.

But I totally agree with above post this should be added as preliminary step before moving ahead, I will make note not to repeat this thing again.

WebFOCUS 7.1.7
Windows
Excel,HTML,PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Would you mind posting the code snippet where your query occurs as well as the content of your masterfile? One of us could spot something else such as perhaps the existence of a virtual field (DEFINE) or a short-named ALIAS for the actual database filed.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Neftali, I assume you're relatively new to the WF game, so you've memorized more recent documentation than us old fogies. I wish the default was NOTRUNC because I don't enjoy reading code like:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SA
BY
CO
BY
MO
END

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This is a piece of one of my test masterfiles created for an Oracle table:
FILE=DATE_DIM, SUFFIX=SQLORA, $
SEGNAME=DATE_DIM, SEGTYPE=S0, $
FIELD=CALENDAR_DATE,      CALENDAR_DATE,  HYYMDS, HYYMDS, MISSING=OFF, $
FIELD=FULL_DATE_DESC,     FULL_DATE_DESC, A35,    A35, MISSING=OFF, $

This code works fine as WF graciously determines that CALENDAR_D matches uniquely my CALENDAR_DATE field:
TABLE FILE DATE_DIM
PRINT CALENDAR_D
WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 10
END

However, I decided to add a new entry to my masterfile in order to use "pure" dates:
FIELD=CALENDAR_DATE_YYMD, CALENDAR_DATE,  YYMD, DATE, MISSING=OFF, $

My code suddenly stopped working because CALENDAR_D now matches 2 different fields: CALENDAR_DATE and CALENDAR_DATE_YYMD. WF reports
(FOC003) THE FIELDNAME IS NOT RECOGNIZED: CALENDAR_D

Had I been more careful from the very beginning (even if it wasn't due to total laziness Wink ) and used a complete field name I would not be facing that issue now. However by making WF less "forgiving":

SET FIELDNAME = NOTRUNC
TABLE FILE DATE_DIM
PRINT CALENDAR_D
WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 10
END

WebFOCUS would have thrown a very clear (FOC003) THE FIELDNAME IS NOT RECOGNIZED: CALENDAR_D since my first version of the code thus forcing me to use a complete name and avoiding a future bug.

Rahul, I don't understand why WF is still allowing a truncated name and matching it to your database field even with SET FIELDNAME=NOTRUNC. The behaviour I described above was seen in both WF 5.3.4 and 7.6.2. I don't see why it would be different in your 7.1.7 environment.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You're right Francis. Though an old fogie myself, I'm relatively new to the WF arena (around 6 years).

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SA
BY
CO
BY
MO
END

Now, that's an interesting piece of art ... and it works!

It makes me remember the old dBASE III days -I hope I'm not the only one here who remembers that Razzer- where every command could be written just by specifying its first 4 characters (REPL instead of REPLACE, for instance) which was fine for a "live" interaction to the database via prompt but that was taken too far by some people who coded their programs following the same 4-character approach creating a very ugly and difficult to understand (and debug) code.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: njsden,

Guru
posted Hide Post
I remember that in FoxPRO, but the guys from Perrysburg were from Ashton Tate weren't they. And the original version of FoxPRO did look a lot like.. Wait, they didn't!

WebFOCUS Administrator @ Worldpay FIS
PROD/DEV/TEST: 8204, SANDBOX: 8206 soon - BIP, Reportcaster, Resource Manager, EUM, HyperStage soon, DB: HIVE,Oracle,MSSQL

Posts: 291 | Location: Greater Cincinnati  | Registered: May 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Wink
quote:
Now, that's an interesting piece of art ... and it works!
Now add "SET FIELDNAME = NOTRUNC" in fron of that and see what happens. Just as a POC and to prevent such things as "Had I been more careful from the very beginning and used a complete field name I would not be facing that issue now."

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
That's the whole point of this thread...

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Nice Thread Point well taken...

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
It's been a year since this was discussed and I haven't done it yet, but I will definitely put this setting in my default include. Doug, thanks for reminding me Smiler

Francis