Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Failed to Access (WFC 701) NULL error in Dev Studio

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Failed to Access (WFC 701) NULL error in Dev Studio
 Login/Join

posted
We recently upgraded our pcs to windows 7 where by dev studio required a re-install.
When I try and re-add my environments I get the following error

Failed to Access (WFC 701) NULL

We had previously
Dev Studio 7703
Local Report Server 7705

7705 should have resolved this bug.

I can confirm the Dev Studio install is 7703, but cannot confirm whether our IT have installed Report Server 7705 on our pcs. Where do I go to check this? Is there a local file I can look at to get this info.

I went to http://localhost:8080/ibi_apps.../webfocusconsole.jsp
and found the following

Product Release: 7.7
Service Pack: 03
Build Version: branch7703
Build/GEN Number: 126
Build/GEN Date: June 6, 2011 6:04:45 AM BST
Application Server: Apache Tomcat/6.0.20

Does this give a good indication?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS : Report Server 7705. Dev studio 7703 running 7705 report server.
Platform : SQL Server 2005, SSAS 2005
Reports : Dashboard, Self Service (Active, InfoAssist, InfoMini), HTML Composer

Posts: 28 | Location: Peterborough | Registered: May 11, 2012Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Mike,

What you have there is the client version. So what you need to do is run the following from the adhoc page (2nd link down on left at http://localhost:8080/ibi_apps/) -

? VERSION

That should give you version info (yes, really!)

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I found that the missing peice to the puzzle was to install the dev studio 7703 hotfix 5.

I couldn't find it on the support website, but luckily I had stored a copy of it when we did the initial install.

So this seems to have fixed it.

BTW I did try and run ? VERSION but got the following message

=====================================
Error attaching to Reporting Server: EDASERVE
The reporting server may not be running or may not be properly defined in the Client Communication Configuration file.

Please notify your server administrator.
==================================

So there is probably something not quite right on in my local host. Tried running a simple CAR report as well and same issue

Expert
posted Hide Post
Did you check the service was running?

The default is for the service to be started when opening DS but often, if your machine spec is OK, then you can configure it to auto start via services.msc (need admin on machine to start etc.)

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
yes these options were set in DS

Start local webFOCUS server
Stop local webFOCUS server on Exit
Stat local web Server

I have noticed that I no longer get the CMD prompt showing that the local server has started.
Also when logging onto 8121 it doesn't work...so would assume my local host is not starting as expected.

My rights do not allow me to check services.

Expert
posted Hide Post
That would be correct.

When they upgraded your PC did they set your local admin as before?

If you still have my number then feel free to call me before 5:30.

T

posted Hide Post
Ok. I have found I have access to services.
I can see that the service is not running...
if I go to start it I get the following...

The WebFOCUS 77 Server for Developer Studio service on Local Computer started and tehn stopped. Some Services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Your best option would be to call it in just in case.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Guru
posted Hide Post
You should have did the install of Dev Studio yourself. Sounds like Security Mode is set to OPSYS on your local WebFocus Reporting Server. If you can get to the webconsole set the Security Mode to OFF. http://localhost:8121/webconsole . If you can't do that create a Windows Environment variable EDAEXTSEC and set its value to OFF. Then restart your computer. The Windows Environment Variable is another way of setting the Security Mode of the local WebFocus Reporting Server.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Unix Self-Service/MRE/Report Caster - Outputs Excel, PDF, HTML, Flat Files

Posts: 320 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: February 12, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Just for info, I had rang Mike shortly after my last post and resolved this issue - which was an admin.cfg issue.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony A:
Just for info, I had rang Mike shortly after my last post and resolved this issue - which was an admin.cfg issue.

T

Tony, I have the same issue but the difference is I am trying to connect to another server. But other colleagues do not have this error when they connect to the same server. when you say it was an admin.cfg issue, is this file on local machine, wf client or wf server? Can you please elaborate how to fix this?

Thanks.

7.66 and 7.704
System: Windows / AIX / Linux
Output: Mostly HTML, with some PDF, Excel and Lotus(!)

Posts: 147 | Location: Toronto (GTA) | Registered: May 25, 2005Report This Post