Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Solved] Making fields invisible to PRINT *

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Solved] Making fields invisible to PRINT *
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Is there any way to make fields in a Master not printable (ignored) when doing a PRINT *?

I thought it might be possible if you enter a blank field name in the Master, but that doesn't work.

I'd like to not use WF Data Source Security (DBA).

Thanks,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
How about using an alternate MFD which omits those fields? NG for a FOC file... But OK for some others? I should have asked : what's the DB?

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I should have mentioned that this is for a flat, text file

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I think you can do this in the master file.

Have a look at the RESTRICT attribute

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You could use a LET for the '*' in 'PRINT *'. Besides the problem of having to create a very large LET if you wish to exclude only a few columns from a very long list, there is also no way to clear it individually because LET CLEAR * will clear all LETs.

LET
 *=COUNTRY CAR MODEL BODYTYPE DEALER_COST RETAIL_COST #
   SALES FUEL_CAP MPG ;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
 PRINT *
END

EDIT: You may not be able to CLEAR the above LET individually, but you can reinstate the '*'...

LET *='*'

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan Satchell,

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
OK, after a fruitful lunch , this is how to restrict the display of a field from the Master File.

Add DBA info to the bottom of the master.
field....$
USER=RSTRCT, ACCESS=RW, $
 ACCESS=R, RESTRICT=NOPRINT, NAME={fieldname}, $

In the fex set the user.
SET USER=RSTRCT
TABLE FILE master
PRINT *

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Alternatively, and you said without DBA?, comment out the field(s) and replace it/them with a define(s) - not tried this but in theory it should work?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If it's a fixed file, I don't think you can do that, Tony. You have to account for all of the character positions.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. It's not crucial that I figure this out.

These are text files, with filler blank columns between real columns, so I was hoping there would be an easy way to exclude the filler columns from a PRINT *. I've given the filler columns no FIELDNAME value, but that isn't enough.

Cheers,

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it's a fixed file

That's true Ginny, but I was assuming (perhaps mistakenly) that Francis was on his DB2 fix again Wink

Francis, as its filler chars, could you extend the ACTUAL size but reduce the USAGE size of the field either before or after the filler? I suppose it all depends upon what the format of the individual data fields are and/or the content of the filler (comma delimited etc. but then you'd change the SUFFIX).

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You can eliminate a blank field by incorporating its columns into an adjacent field -- increasing the ACTUAL of an ALPHA field to its left, or of a numeric field to its right.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Tony, Jack, yes - very smart of you, I can play with the ACTUAL and USAGE, I didn't think of that.

Thanks!

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
and you said without DBA

Tries and tested on 7.6.9, but not other versions.

Also, make sure that your Fillers are all spaces if you extend the field actuals.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waz,

Waz...

In Focus since 1984