Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Quick OLAP question

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Quick OLAP question
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I'm working in both Dev Studio and App Studio. I'm researching OLAP use and I can't seem to figure out if I can create OLAP-enabled reports in App Studio. I see all sorts of references to Dev Studio, but nothing in App Studio. Does anyone know if this is possible? I just need to know where to focus (no pun intended)

Pondog

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 116 | Location: Birmingham, Al | Registered: July 23, 2015Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Pondog,

I assume you want to turn on OLAP in your report and already have your OLAP Dimensions (probably from a Cube). If so you can turn on OLAP via the from the "Autodrill & Analysis" button in the "Naviagation" section of the the "Format Tab". This pops up a box and allows you change the OLAP and Auto Drill Options.

If you need to create your OLAP dimensions then you do that from the Procedure View - right click -> "New..." -> OLAP Dimensions

Hope that helps.

Stu

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 (8.2.06 in testing)

Posts: 253 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Stu,

Being the FNG and new to WF I'm not sure what you mean when you talk about a Cube. I'm researching OLAP to get a better understanding on how we can use it in our reporting. I've been walking through the OLAP instruction in the WF 8 Tech Library but haven't encountered anything about a Cube, yet.

Initially, I created the OLAP report in Dev Studio and then moved to App Studio. It seems to be a common way of doing things since I'm working in AS 8.0.09. We're hoping to upgrade to 8.1.05 later this week or next. However, I couldn't figure out if/how to start an OLAP report in App Studio. All the documentation I've run across seems to point to Dev Studio.

All this to say, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This helps a bunch!

Pondog

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 116 | Location: Birmingham, Al | Registered: July 23, 2015Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Quick and Dirty intro to OLAP.

(Note I have barely used OLAP cubes in a production sense and most of what follows may well be hear-say or overly simplified)

Usually when SQL databases are relational - there are multiple tables that have relationships to each other. There are many variants in how the tables are designed and relate to each other with the star-schema and 3rd nominal form being favorites. These are stored in databases like MS SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle DB, DB2 etc.

OLAP (online analytical processing) deals with data with multiple dimensions - for example sales by region, by year, by product. To do this data is aggregated at different levels of the dimensions - organised by hierarchies. This gives you the ability to slice, dice, drill up/down and roll up data on the fly. With relational data this can be sometimes slow to calculate so the OLAP cube can be used to do the calculations and store the values at different level of aggregation. MS SSAS and Cognos, Essbase are all examples of OLAP servers that allow you to create and manage cubes.

When you report against cube data sources with WebFOCUS the dimensions and hierarchies are inherited from the cube. WebFOCUS also allows you to do OLAP against non-cube data by setting your dimensions either in the master file or within the FEX itself.

Hope this helps more than it confuses

Stu

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 (8.2.06 in testing)

Posts: 253 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not aware of us using cubes. I'll have to look into that. All my dimensions have been built within the FEX. Of course, in the learning process all my reports have been very simple, however, I can see how the use of cubes will come in handy. Thanks for the OLAP info.

Tony

quote:
Quick and Dirty intro to OLAP.

(Note I have barely used OLAP cubes in a production sense and most of what follows may well be hear-say or overly simplified)

Usually when SQL databases are relational - there are multiple tables that have relationships to each other. There are many variants in how the tables are designed and relate to each other with the star-schema and 3rd nominal form being favorites. These are stored in databases like MS SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle DB, DB2 etc.

OLAP (online analytical processing) deals with data with multiple dimensions - for example sales by region, by year, by product. To do this data is aggregated at different levels of the dimensions - organised by hierarchies. This gives you the ability to slice, dice, drill up/down and roll up data on the fly. With relational data this can be sometimes slow to calculate so the OLAP cube can be used to do the calculations and store the values at different level of aggregation. MS SSAS and Cognos, Essbase are all examples of OLAP servers that allow you to create and manage cubes.

When you report against cube data sources with WebFOCUS the dimensions and hierarchies are inherited from the cube. WebFOCUS also allows you to do OLAP against non-cube data by setting your dimensions either in the master file or within the FEX itself.

Hope this helps more than it confuses

Stu

WebFOCUS 8.0.09

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs