Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] WF8 Version Control

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] WF8 Version Control
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Has anyone successfully implemented version control in WF8? I've read it's coming in 8.2 somewhere but figured I'd ask the community.

On that same token, regardless of WF version, has anyone tried using github?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kathleen Butler,

WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.02
Windows 7, All Outputs

Posts: 141 | Location: Mclean, VA | Registered: December 04, 2012Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Absolutely Nothing.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
For us so far its manual and stepping on each others toes.

Frowner

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As long as you are still using files on a file-system, you can use any version control mechanism you like on that file system.

We use Mercurial (hg) on a Windows shared directory on our WFRS.

If you're using that portal stuff that gets stored inside a database - you're out of luck.

I'm of the opinion (even before code moved into a database) that IBI should provide drivers to access IBIFS as a file-system. That gives us many options that we currently don't have, such as version control, file searches, access with more powerful editors or IDE's, etc.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Agreed, but that would mean more and more people could get away with not having to use their GUI in favor of something else. Not that a fair amount of people aren't already yelling about the GUI to begin with -_-.

I was hoping it would come out with 8.1.05 but it sounds like 8.2 might be the first version with it. I used MS visual source safe before but it's pretty lackluster so I'm hoping something like TFS or a better software package will be compatible.

Windows 7, All Outputs

Posts: 141 | Location: Mclean, VA | Registered: December 04, 2012Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Well, we began to use Github and Sourcetree. Had to make a separate directory on my C drive and then used Sourcetree to move the code to Github. You will then have version control. It is a little clunky because you cannot (as far as I know) move it directly from the server in WebFOCUS. ---

Vivian Perlmutter
Aviter, Inc.

WebFOCUS Keysheet Rel. 8.0.2
(Almost) 1001 Ways to Work with Dates thru Rel. 8.0.2
Focus since 1982
WebFOCUS since the beginning
Vivian@aviter.com

Posts: 191 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: April 29, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
file searches, access with more powerful editors or IDE's, etc.

Funny you should say that, but I ended up building some search tools (in WebFOCUS) to "scan" the files for words/strings.

Also in WF8, I've pointed the external editor to EditPlus. I think its much quicker to open and close the files let alone the editing options.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waz:
quote:
file searches, access with more powerful editors or IDE's, etc.

Funny you should say that, but I ended up building some search tools (in WebFOCUS) to "scan" the files for words/strings.

Also in WF8, I've pointed the external editor to EditPlus. I think its much quicker to open and close the files let alone the editing options.

Yea we built one in WF7 that did something similar but notepad++ can scan files and folders for words and strings so in WF8 we use that, I also have notepad++ set up as my external editor. Haven't tried it much yet but I don't think you can save it back to the server from the external tool can you?

Vivian,
I'll have to try that, I think for the time being we'll just use github as a peer review system since it's kind of wonky as a repository with WF.

On a similar note, according to the customer service rep I talked to yesterday (take this with a grain of salt), internal version control is coming with 8.2. What it will look like I have no idea. He also mentioned support for external version control will be available later this year, again no clue on the details. Just a friendly heads up.

Windows 7, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
@Tim: Nope, your external editor gets a file that was copied to a local temp directory by Dev Studio. You still need to use Dev Studio to open each file you want to edit, you can't do that straight from the editor.

That's why I rarely use the external editor feature, it's not as convenient as navigating to our Windows share and open the files directly. And that's where we handle our version control as well.
You can do neither without file-system access.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I ALWAYS use the external text editor feature.

We get zero-byte saved files very often, and my very excellent external text editor saves me from the anguish of not knowing if the files was saved properly when closing it from Dev Studio GUI or text editor.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
To me that's surprising, Francis.

How I understand that this works is that your external editor edits a local temporary copy of the file, which upon closing (or perhaps even when saving) is sent to the reporting server by Dev Studio.

If that's the case, then I don't understand why you wouldn't get 0-byte files when using the external editor.