Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Record length limit in SUFFIX=COM?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Record length limit in SUFFIX=COM?
 Login/Join

<kiddpete>
posted
Confused We are attempting to read a comma delimited file with a SUFFIX=COM master. All works well until the data in the record pushes out to column 145 or beyond. When that happens, we get this message:

(FOC416) MORE VALUES SUPPLIED THAN FIELDS IN THE MASTER FILE DESCRIPTION

If we then break the record into two records, with no data in 145 or beyond, everything works fine again.

Is 144 the record length limit for this kind of file? Is there any way around it?

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Are you using TABLE, MODIFY or what?
What kind of quotation mark have you in your file?

Supposing you are using TABLE FILE and a double quotation mark in your file, you must set PCOMMA to ON (PCOMMA more information). See the following example:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE HOLD AS EXAMPLE FORMAT COM
END
-RUN

-* Without PCOMMA, we also get FOC416.
SET PCOMMA = ON

TABLE FILE EXAMPLE
PRINT *
END
-RUN
I hope this helps.
(elsewhere more information would be necessary)

Regards,
Mikel

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Mabel>,

Posts: 173 | Location: Madrid, Spain | Registered: May 09, 2003Report This Post
<kiddpete>
posted
We are using this in TABLE and there are no quotes in the records; just numbers, decimal points, and the comma delimiters. As I said, the file is read perfectly if, when length of data is 145 or more, we split the data into two records. Splitting means two physical records with less than 145 characters in each with the $ at the end of the data in the second record.

We can also simply delete digits from the numbers to pull the data back to column 144 (not actually deleting one of the numbers). The TABLE also works fine with the shortened record.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Have you also tested the LRECL parameter for your FILEDEF or ALLOC?
Try to increase it.

I don't know what is the problem. For example, I have executed the following code with 92 numeric fields and more than 512 bytes, and works fine.

-* Comma delimited file generation.
-* (Numeric fields, no quotes, no final ,$)
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
SALES SALES SALES SALES SALES SALES SALES SALES SALES SALES
RCOST DCOST
ON TABLE HOLD AS OUTF FORMAT COM
END
-RUN

-* Tests.
? FILEDEF
CHECK FILE OUTF
-RUN

-* Output.
SET PCOMMA = ON
TABLE FILE OUTF
PRINT *
END
egards,
Mikel

<kiddpete>
posted
Mikel,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. The file I am using has an LRECL of 400 bytes, most of which are blank. It looks like we are running different versions of Focus. I am running Focus 7.1.1 under MVS on an IBM mainframe. When I run your code, I get:

> ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE 13 IN PROCEDURE TEMP1 FOCEXEC
(FOC160) THE OPTION AFTER THE WORD 'FORMAT' IS INVALID: COM
BYPASSING TO END OF COMMAND
(FOC009) INCOMPLETE REQUEST STATEMENT

I not only do not have a COM output option, I do not have PCOMMA as a settable control. I thought IBI had eliminated differences between the various platforms. I guess not.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
My test works with WebFOCUS 4.3.6.

Under MVS, PCOMMA and HOLD FORMAT COM works on release 7.2.

I also have FOCUS 7.1.1 and i have tried the following:

1.- Generate data delimited file.

DYNAM ALLOC FILE OUTF DSNAME SCCID41.FILE.DATA1 SHR REU
-RUN

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
IF RECORDLIMIT EQ 5
ON TABLE SAVE AS OUTF FORMAT LOTUS
END
-RUN 2.- After, append the final ,$ (mandatory in 7.1.1) manually or using a dialogue manager loop and using the following master:

FILE=OUTF, SUFFIX=COM
SEGNAME=SEG01, SEGTYPE=S0
FIELD=FIELD01, ,I6, A6, $
FIELD=FIELD02, ,I6, A6, $
FIELD=FIELD30, ,I6, A6, $]3.- Execute the request:

TABLE FILE OUTF
PRINT *
END[/code]I get correct answer (there are more than 144 characters). I have problems with more than 36 fields.

Regards,
Mikel