Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     skipping lines around SUBTOTALs, how to kill [SBU]

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
skipping lines around SUBTOTALs, how to kill [SBU]
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
anybody know how to get a subtotal line without the blank line before and after?
There's probably a setting.
I just don't know it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
<Pietro De Santis>
posted
The sort, sneaky answer is to turn GRID ON!

Now we'll have to ask IBI why turning GRID OFF/ON affects how many lines are used for SUBTOTAL.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
ah bless you, but grid is too icky a solution. any other ideas?

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
<Pietro De Santis>
posted
Check out this example. The css styling TD {font-size: 1px;} sets all the TD's that do not have anything else in them to 1px font size, thus reducing the lines before and after the subtotal.

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES
BY COUNTRY SUBTOTAL BY CAR
HEADING
" "

ON TABLE SET PAGE NOLEAD
ON TABLE HOLD AS H001 FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET STYLESHEET *
TYPE=REPORT, GRID=OFF,
FONT='VERDANA', SIZE=8, $
TYPE=SUBTOTAL, BACKCOLOR=RED, $
ENDSTYLE
END
-HTMLFORM BEGIN

!IBI.FIL.H001;
-HTMLFORM END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Mabel>,

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
sweet!
but i'm actually trying to kill it, because my users use RCXX and the excel version will have all those icky blank lines that make sorting the db really annoying.

<Pietro De Santis>
posted
Interestingly, I don't get blank lines in Excel 2000.

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES
BY COUNTRY SUBTOTAL
BY CAR

ON TABLE SET PAGE NOLEAD
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2000
END

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
If its a PDF did you try BOTTOMGAP in your STYLESHEET?

TYPE=SUBFOOT, BOTTOMGAP=.??, $

Posts: 104 | Location: Boston | Registered: April 23, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
yep, but i'm not doing PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
i'm doing RCXX and letting BillGates handle the conversion, the fex reruns and opens in real actual excel, not xml which my users hate.
So if i've got blank TDs, BillGates is gonna give them to me. I gotta kill 'em at the source.
Lenny, thanks for the input, but if i had to do pdfs , i'ld a quit this job ages ago! Wink

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall in more recent versions of WebFOCUS additional and finer commands were added to control and customize the borders/gridlines on a report. Since GRID=ON eliminates the blank lines, try turning the GRID ON and then use the new border/gridline control commands to "hide" the grid lines by changing their color/width or turning them off idividually, if possible. I have not tried this myself but it might get you what you are looking for.

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
<Pietro De Santis>
posted
Mickey's suggestion seems to be the best.

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Susannah, I have no idea what RCXX is but try the following. This gives me a report in HTML with no skipped lines.

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM RCOST DCOST
BY COUNTRY SUBTOTAL
BY CAR
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, BORDER=LIGHT, BORDER-STYLE=NONE, $
ENDSTYLE
END

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Turn your grid OFF
and you'll get extra lines.
rcxx=right click export to excel, a very billgates thing to do.

<Pietro De Santis>
posted
Susannah,

I ran this and then RCXX'd and no extra lines.

I guess it's the HTMLCSS ON and the border commands.

I know we don't like using HTMLCSS ON but in this case...

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM RCOST DCOST
BY COUNTRY SUBTOTAL
BY CAR
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *

TYPE=REPORT, GRID=OFF, BORDER=LIGHT, BORDER-STYLE=NONE, $
ENDSTYLE
END

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
WORKS! guess i gotta bite the bullet
Thanks Pietro.

<Pietro De Santis>
posted
The big question is, why does it work this way?

Why does WebFOCUS do things other than controlling the GRID when you set GRID to OFF or ON?

It should be adding or removing empty lines around report elements, just show or hide the grid.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
oh you're preaching to the choir, here. i've been after the PM at Summit for 3 years now, and no response. Not even a glimmer of understanding what i'm talking about with GRID baggage.

Expert
posted Hide Post
And here we are in 2011 and still No Answer? GRID does weird stuff (which should not be associated with GRID ~ imho).

See you at Summit!!!

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Doug, I guess the unanswered question is on GRID, but in case someone scanning this topic doesn't know, this IS solved in 7.6.11 for removal of blank lines on subtotals.

SET DROPBLNKLINE=ON will remove the blank lines around subtotals and more.

For more info, see topic: Controlling Generation of Blank Lines on Report Output

David

In FOCUS since 1985 - WF 8.009/8.104 Win 8 Outputs: ALL of 'em! Adapters: Sql Server Teradata Oracle

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: February 20, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
11,790 reads later. Thanks for the update on the DROPBLNKLINE setting.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, a thorn in many a persons side over the years they've been looking to remove.

Can this topic be marked [SOLVED] by the moderator?

In FOCUS since 1985 - WF 8.009/8.104 Win 8 Outputs: ALL of 'em! Adapters: Sql Server Teradata Oracle

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: February 20, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
that so-called 'marking' of topics just makes the subject much harder to read, makes the lists much harder to scan...
it was a very bad idea, conceptually.. should have been implemented AT THE END of a topic, not the beginning....
and its only 'SOLVED BY UPGRADE', so i'll mark it 'SBU' at the end... howzat?

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
That works for me. Thanks!

I was going to make an additional suggestion regarding marking topics as SOLVED, but that's going off topic for this topic. I'll make it to Kerry or the FocalPoint world at large when I've thought it through.