Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Forcing the sequences

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Forcing the sequences
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi,

Using a Java programs and the IBI API, I am scheduling some some jobs which call some fex files and send the result to the printer.
I am surprise to see that Job1 which scheduled before job2 prints after job2 thus the documents are coming in un-expected order.
Is there a way or a parameter that would control the order of these jobs.

Regards

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Posts: 273 | Location: Europe | Registered: May 31, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Since you can't do dependencies in Report Caster as is and job2 runs faster than job1, then you will always have that problem. If job1 could write a completion flag that your java program could check before firing off job2, or your java program could check the RC log for completion of job1 before firing off job2, those could be possible solutions for you.

I am currently in the midst of evaluating a 3rd party scheduler to do event-based dependencies for Report Caster jobs.

Good luck! And please post your successes and failures here as I would be most interested.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
say,
if i run a RC schedule that has 2 tasks, the 2nd task doesn't kick off until the 1st task is done. Is that what you mean by 'dependencies' Ginny? or am i missing something..

i use the technique Ginny mentions, as well.
I check for a condition (some file existing or not) and if not then I loop thru a SLEEP command

-TOPLOOP
-IF some condition GOTO TO PROCEED;
SLEEP 600 (that's 10 minutes)
-RUN
-GOTO TOPLOOP ;
-PROCEED

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I have two questions on this:
1) Majid Jeddi: What version are you using?
2) When did SLEEP come into play, 769?

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It might be that the print for job 1 is much larger than job 2. The printer (driver) may decide to print the smaller job first.
Susannah solutions to this is to wait a certain amount of time between both jobs, to be sure that the print is done.
Sleep is a command that has been around for ages - I seem to recall it going back to the eda 3 releases, although I'm not quite sure about that. It is a focus command.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Susannah, I meant two separate jobs or a job that is dependent on the completion of a process on another platform like the mainframe. We currently have a flag process on another user development platform that works with a home-grown FOCUS-based scheduler. The WebFOCUS platform came along a bit later so doesn't participate in the flag process.

There is also a 3rd user development environment (Microsoft .NET) so there is a need for a 3rd party scheduler. The one we are looking at has a file trigger mechanism such that we wouldn't have to do a loop in the RC process. The RC job would run when the flag file showed up. A work in progress ...

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
ah.
cool.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi

Reply to GinnyJakes,

I think you are right. I will be running into this issue all the time unless i modifiy my java program to check if the job1 has finished or no to schedule the second one.

Answer to Doug

We are running 7.6.5 in production.

Reply to susannah,

No each schedule has only one Task.

Regards

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Majid Jeddi,

Posts: 273 | Location: Europe | Registered: May 31, 2007Report This Post