Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Closed] I want Report Caster turned off forever please

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Closed] I want Report Caster turned off forever please
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
Don't get me wrong, it's a great part of the product, but this is on my laptop where I do development for prototypes and proofs of concepts and the like. I have absolutely no use for it and when I installed WF it included Report Caster without asking and the setup for it isn't working.

I can't add users or groups to my MRE because Report Caster prevents anything from saving.

How do I unhook Report Caster from my MRE stuff so I can can just build my dashboards in peace?

J.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John_Edwards,

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
<JG>
posted
It's the license code that you used to install.

You cannot add or remove bits. The only option is to reinstall with the correct code.

(unless you are on a very old release)

Having said that I hope you've paid for the licence on your local machine because a simple dev studio
intall does not include MRE/BID or Caster.

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
First of all I'd like to thank you for making the extra effort to question my integrity. That was a special moment in my day.

If what you say is the case I'm going to need to get Report Caster fully sussed out before I can proceed with the remainder of my work. That's a shame. My guess is that it's the jre files since it pretty much always is, but I have them installed and took the time to find them when I did my configuration.

My 7.6.6 install has it running correctly but I can't do this demonstration on anything less than 7.7. I was hoping I could just unhook it and move on, but that may not be the case. Maybe my 7.6.6 install has settings that will work in 7.7 as well.

J.

Expert
posted Hide Post
"Maybe my 7.6.6 install has settings that will work in 7.7 as well." - not bloody likely!

There must be a way to disable ReportCaster - I thought it might be somewhere in the Client Admin Console

- Admin Console > Configuration > Client Settings > ReportCaster is where RC is defined - check to see if this is blank.

- Admin Console > Configuration > MR Security Settings > Advanced - ensure SYNC_CASTER_ON_MRSIGNON is set to false

- Admin Console > Configuration > Client Settings - Managed Reporting - there could be something here.

I don't know if this helps at all.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
<JG>
posted
quote:
to question my integrity

John, that was not my intention in any way or form, in your case.

However I added it because I do know that there are quite a number of individuals out there
who foreget the issue.

If you have a license it's very simple, ask IBI for an installation code that installs what you want
specifically "MRE, BID, UAS" that's the official config term.

There should be no problem giving you a code for less than has been paid for.

Trying to remove caster after the install is a serious pain, I know I have had to try it on more than one occasion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <JG>,

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It used to be possible to have ReportCaster function independently by setting the "Install" flag on the "MR Info" tab in the ReportCaster Configuration to "No".

I would think this would give you the desired effect, but you'd have to test to be sure. To get the setting to take might require ReportCaster starting at least one time.

After making this change, do the following in this order:
1) Stop the distribution server.
2) Stop Tomcat.
3) Start the distribution server.
4) Wait 30 seconds.
5) Start ReportCaster.

This should give the dserver.xmls file a chance to cycle to the web apps.

After that's been done you might be able to create user's without ReportCaster running. (e.g. Be able to stop the Distribution server from here on out).

Let me know if it works.

WF 71.x, 76.x, 7701, 8.0 Beta OS: Linux, Win2k3, Win2k, Win2k8, WinXP

Posts: 203 | Registered: November 19, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Also, if the ReportCaster server is not running, you *may* be able to access the ReportCaster Configuration from the Start menu IBI > WebFOCUS77 > ReportCaster > Distribution Server > Configuration > Edit (buried so deep, it's a wonder I found it).

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
My final resolution to this was to reinstall my WFClient with a license code that excluded Report Caster. Between my existing Apache install and the jar files that connect RC to SQLServer being out of date, there was just too many issues in the way of getting it to run correctly so I yanked Apache Tomcat off the machine, then reinstalled client without Report Caster. Managed Reporting suddenly sprung to life and ten minutes later I had the app up and running.

Fundamentally this was a return-on-investment decision. I couldn't afford to spend a week completing a 30 minute task. My apologies to anyone coming to this thread searching for a solution to the actual problem I described above.

J.

Expert
posted Hide Post
From my years of experience with WebFOCUS, I've found that reinstalling the software has been a solution quite often.

Francis