Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Halloween Question : Who of Mr MRE and Doctor WebFocus is doing what ( of DM orders)?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Halloween Question : Who of Mr MRE and Doctor WebFocus is doing what ( of DM orders)?
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Bonjour,
Since I was born in the Focus World, &TYPSOR is the DM variable that precises what kind of Output I expect from a Focexec.
In my early days
'E' Ecran in French, Screen in English, meant that HotScreen had to be used ( PreHistory, but ...)
'I' Imprime in French, Print in English, meant that OffLine had to be used (66 lines 132 columns, Pyjama Paper, at the time)
'W' Word in my French as Word in English meant Word Processor (Format WP) : Offline written in a File &FICSOR
'T' Tableur in French, Easy to be swallowed By Excel ( Comma delimited with SemiColumn as a separator, 1st Line : Columns Name)
'F' Fichier in French, File in English, meant that a File had to be ceated with a Formar &FORMDEM and a FileName &Ficsor

This took benefit of a versatility that Focus had, much ahead of many Tools (at the time)
And 'T' was the most Popular .. (People love Excel, I don't know why)

Styled Reports have come a long time ago and my TYPSOR turned bigger
'X' Styled sheets Excel 2K ( with Formula, so that Compute turns to be kind of Excel Macro commands)
'W' That has turned towards PDF, the standard of that Word Processing game (Personal opinion ...)
'H' HTML since Web Browser is much, much more Popular that HotScreen (whom I kiss on the front as a glorious ancester)

And I come to my point : Universal StySheet does not exist since there are small tiny (and boring) differences between HTML, Excel and PDF
Style sheets.
So, under my beloved Focus/Mvs Environment, a -INCLUDE UTREQSTY does everyting that's necessary for any of those TYPSOR
and, if a Styled Typsor, a -INCLUDE &STYSHEET ( inside UTREQSTY) gets the StySheet (that obeys Dialog Manager, at this place -if necessary-)
With the help of Francis Mariani ( who doesn't know much of that stuff ), I can get, precisely, what I want out of any Stysheeted Output

But Under DS, it seems that MRE and Data Server do not understand my
-INCLUDE &STYSHEET ( &STYSHEET.Fex not found by MRE)
or
-SET &ORDERSTY = '-INCLUDE ' ! &STYSHEET ;
&ORDERSTY.EVAL
is not understood by the Data Server (But is not stopped by MRE analysis)

Please, could someone tell me, precisely, how MRE/DS/Report Server and Data Server cooperate in the treatment of my unique Dialog manager orders written under DS
I Hate the words of 'primary parsing' by the Report Server : Who is doing What and When is my question
It seems that Data Server receives kind of "&" amp.DMVAR instead of &DMVAR;
( Report Server changing &TOTO into "&" amp .TOTO ; ? But IF &TOTO is to be included, it must be part of the message to Data Server, too )

Please, get me out of this "Life is tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"
Cordially

PS : "Not to be" is not at all the solution I expect

PS : No Java Script yet in the game : No !IBI.AMP.TOTO;
I focus on the dialog between Report Server and Data Server regards to the Dialog Manager I write in My DS Focexecs
(-REMOTE BEGIN and -REMOTE END of the 90'S and Cooperative Processing was clear to me.
But I cannot any longer rely on Cooperative Processing, Everything must be on the Report Server -USS Unix-, just the DB2 Data on my
beloved MVS World)
gt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Baillecl,

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11
Dev Studio 7.6.11 and !!!
PC Focus, Focus for OS/2, FFW Six, MSO

Posts: 134 | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
MRE preprocess the fex to send any fexs to the server. Of course, this happens before DM has run so their are no &VARS.

If you want MRE to ignore your include and send it as is to the server, simply code
-MRNOEDIT -INCLUDE &BOOGUY

And have a good Halloween!

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development

Posts: 200 | Location: NYC | Registered: January 02, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Bonjour,
I thank you for your advice, but it does not open my mind.
I just can't understand the Basis of the dialog between Report Sever and Data Server :

I changed -INCLUDE &STYSHEET into -MRNOEDIT -INCLUDE &STYSHEET
So, UTREQSTY, Included into all of My Focexecs to Commonly Handle &TYPSOR

-*  UTILITAIRE DE FIN DE REQUETE DE MISE EN FORME
-*---------  ON SEPARE LES SORTIES 'STYLE SHEET' DES AUTRES
-REQSTYP00
-*---------
-IF &STYSHEET EQ ' '  THEN GOTO  REQSTYP40 ;
-SET &FORMDEM = IF &FORMDEM NE ' '     THEN &FORMDEM
-        ELSE   IF &TYPSOR EQ 'X'      THEN 'EXL2K FORMULA'
-        ELSE   IF &TYPSOR EQ 'H'      THEN 'HTML'
-        ELSE   IF &TYPSOR EQ 'W'      THEN 'PDF'
-        ELSE   'EXL2K'    ;
 ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
 ON TABLE NOTOTAL
 ON TABLE SET EXL2KLANG FRE
 ON TABLE SET STYLE *
[COLOR:RED]-MRNOEDIT -INCLUDE &STYSHEET[/COLOR]
 ENDSTYLE
-IF &TYPSOR NE 'H'      THEN GOTO PASDECSS ;
 ON TABLE SET ONLINE-FMT HTML
 ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
-PASDECSS
-** Under MSO, We let Focus's Internal Matrix, cooked the HTML Way, run direct to the Web Browser
-IF &FOCMODE EQ 'MSO' THEN GOTO REQSTYP30  ;
-* ON TABLE HOLD AS &FICSOR FORMAT &FORMDEM
-GOTO REQSTYP99
-*---------  SOUS MSO : COMMENT SEPARER EXCEL, HTML ET PDF
-REQSTYP30
-*---------
-IF &TYPSOR EQ 'H' THEN GOTO REQSTYP99 ;
 ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT &FORMDEM
-GOTO REQSTYP99

But I'm afraid that the Member, which is the &STYSHEET.EVAL = PIXISXLS was not part of the exchange betwween Report Server (or about) and Data Server (or about) since the Html Source, in return contains :

-IF PIXISXLS EQ ' '  THEN GOTO  REQSTYP40 ;
-SET &FORMDEM = IF   NE ' '     THEN
-        ELSE   IF X EQ 'X'      THEN 'EXL2K FORMULA'
-        ELSE   IF X EQ 'H'      THEN 'HTML'
-        ELSE   IF X EQ 'W'      THEN 'PDF'
-        ELSE   'EXL2K'    ;
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET EXL2KLANG FRE
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
[COLOR:RED]-INCLUDE PIXISXLS
(FOC227) PROCEDURE FOCEXEC INCONNUE: PIXISXLS[/COLOR]
ENDSTYLE

Those two layers on different platforms don't understand each other, because of my code.
But I just can't fancy the role of each Part
(Just as Focus learners miss the way that Dialog Manager and Focus communicate,
Writting -RUN here and there, not knowing why, and hoping that it might work)
I need a guru to hold my hand and make me cross this river of mine

Thanks in advance ( and please, Not all of you throw back to the sea this SOS message, badly written as it is ...)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Baillecl,

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Any code in MRNOEDIT must be totally executable and resident on the server. Your PIXISXLS fex must exist on the reporting server.

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development

Posts: 200 | Location: NYC | Registered: January 02, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
-INCLUDE PIXISXLS

PIXISXLS.fex (and all its format-specific siblings) must reside on the data server, in some directory listed in the search path -- not on MR.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your concease answers.
My God, I've a talent to be disagreable with people kind enough as to help me.
But, It must be here, it should be there is very true, but ..
It is Here (/app, Report Server) It should go There (Data Server) and I am nothing but a developper ( No Access to the machines firmly held by my technical gurus - as in any well organised Company).
How can I hold Focus's (and friends's) hands. Knowing which /App StySheet should move towards the data Server in the same flow that Report Server will send towards Data Server ( Through EDA and all that i-way stuff that I don't Master at all)
Oh, three legged Cactus, Why are you hurting me each time I try to make friend ?
Cordially and Ol'Timer Focusely
My idea was that UTREQSTY of the Report Server would -INCLUDE /app &STYSHEET and so Data Server would receive a coherent Request and do the expected Job

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Bonjour,
I just can't sleep ...
I already had something of the kind : MR or someone around refused to Execute a DM Request :
EX &REQMEF FICENT = &FICENT, ECHO = &ECHO,
.../...
So I had to tell him more precisely :

-              IF &REQMEF EQ LSRTH15   THEN GOTO :LSRTH15
-       ELSE   IF &REQMEF EQ LSRTH15M  THEN GOTO :LSRTH15M
-       ELSE   GOTO :LSRTH12 ;
-:LSRTH12
EX LSRTH12  FICENT   = LSRTH10A , ECHO=&ECHO ,
-GOTO :FLIG1RQMEF
-:LSRTH15
EX LSRTH15  FICENT   = LSRTH10A , ECHO=&ECHO ,
-:LSRTH15M
EX LSRTH15M FICENT   = LSRTH10A , ECHO=&ECHO ,
-:FLIG1RQMEF
            MOISTRT = &MOISTRT ,
            MFINTRT = &MFINTRT ,

-INCLUDE STYSHEET causes me, probably, same kind of Problem since MR tells me he can't find &STYSHEET.fex
I guess that if I could copy &STYSHEET on some kind of \MyTemporapp\JustToFixTheName and, this being done,
-INCLUDE \MyTemporapp\JustToFixTheName
I might have a chance ...

I knew many things in the Basic MS World : SET TEMP = K ; DOS COPY etc ...
I'm a bit short in Unix ( USS or something of the kind)

Did any Guru have same kind of problem and have some kind of ideas to get through ?
The SOS bottle being thrown away, I go back to sleep
Focusely and tiredly

By the way, How many years did Robinson await a rescue ?
( Something different of 'Should have a boat' Wink Smiler )

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11

posted Hide Post
Using the Dialog Manager code referenced here as an example, is there any way to conditionally GOTO a specific label depending on the value of a field the same way in MF FOCUS for a batch job?

- IF &REQMEF EQ LSRTH15 THEN GOTO :LSRTH15
- ELSE IF &REQMEF EQ LSRTH15M THEN GOTO :LSRTH15M
- ELSE GOTO :LSRTH12 ;
-:LSRTH12
EX LSRTH12 FICENT = LSRTH10A , ECHO=&ECHO ,
-:LSRTH15
EX LSRTH15 FICENT = LSRTH10A , ECHO=&ECHO ,
-:LSRTH15M
EX LSRTH15M FICENT = LSRTH10A , ECHO=&ECHO ,
-:FLIG1RQMEF
MOISTRT = &MOISTRT ,
MFINTRT = &MFINTRT ,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Oh, three legged Cactus, Why are you hurting me each time I try to make friend ?

I sincerely nominate Baillecl to the position of Chief of Documentation - Technical Manual division. I love this.

- ABT

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
When MR sees an "unescaped" -INCLUDE or EX, it ships a copy of the fex file (using the undocumented EX -LINES feature) to the reporting server so that the latter can access it when the time comes.

So, if you have a limited number of reports (or stylesheets) of reasonable length stored in MR that may be referenced by dynamically generated code, you can make them all available, along these lines:

-GOTO start
-* The GOTO makes these -INCLUDEs unreachable, but MR doesn't know that...
-INCLUDE fex1 
-INCLUDE fex2
-INCLUDE fex3
-start
-DEFAULT &parm=1

-SET &FEX=DECODE &parm(
-  1  'fex1'
-  2  'fex2'
-ELSE 'fex3'
-  );

-MRNOEDIT EX &FEX.EVAL

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Bonjour,
I don't Master private Messaging to people who helped me, so I turn into Public this private message :
Bonjour,
I feel so down and out in this forum where first level ( and short term ) efficiency is so high that I often think of staying apart.
I've nostalgy of Focus guys sharing a culture and exchanging Tricks (and great humor as Tony A practices so well).
I just can't find the right way to live present Focus community.
That's why I thank you very much for your answers. (And if you're kidding me, as the old fool I tend to be, I just did not see)
Focusely and Thanksfully

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11