Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Amper auto-prompting:

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Amper auto-prompting:
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
Hey all,

I'm trying to build out a set of reports that need the user to select a fiscal year to view via amper auto-prompt before the report runs.

If I use a basic dynamic single-select list of values based of the field containing the fiscal year options (2003-2030), the user ends up having to sift through almost 30 years to select the year desired for viewing.

Is there a way to still dynamically pull year options from the field specified above but reduce the range shown to the user? Like if I wanted the user to only have 2013-2017 to choose from, can that be done in addition to those options being able to update themselves every year so we don't have to come back every year and update a static list of possible years for the user to view?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
SUM instead of PRINT?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Without knowing how your data is built from where you are extracting your fiscal year...

Add filter in your code such as
-SET &CY = &YYMD / 10000;
-SET &CY_P2 = &CY - 2;
-SET &CY_N2 = &CY + 2;
-TYPE &CY, &CY_P2, &CY_N2

TABLE FILE....
PRINT FiscalYear
BY FiscalYear
WHERE FiscalYear GE &CY_P2;
WHERE FiscalYear LE &CY_N2;
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
MartinY,

Thanks for the insights! I'm pretty new to building reports with WebFOCUS. If you're willing, a few quick questions:

Right up front, thanks for your patience while I try to grasp this. I'm using a column named FISCALYEAR/A4 that holds the values 2003 to 2030 to fill the values list dynamically for a prompt for a particular report. How would I get this filter of yours to work with the data from FISCALYEAR, and/or where would I put it and then connect it to get it to work with the data in the prompt? Side-question: Why did you divide &YYMD by 10000?

Again, thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by MartinY:
Without knowing how your data is built from where you are extracting your fiscal year...

Add filter in your code such as
-SET &CY_P2 = &CY - 2;
-SET &CY_N2 = &CY + 2;
-TYPE &CY, &CY_P2, &CY_N2

TABLE FILE....
PRINT FiscalYear
BY FiscalYear
WHERE FiscalYear GE &CY_P2;
WHERE FiscalYear LE &CY_N2;
END

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Focus !

First, it may not the prettiest way to do it but having "&YYMD / 10000" keep only the year part of the CCYYMMDD date.

Second what you could do is the fallowing
-SET &CY_P2 = &CY - 2;
-SET &CY_N2 = &CY + 2;
-TYPE CurrentDate =&YYMD, CurrentYear= &CY, Previous2Yr= &CY_P2, Next2Yr= &CY_N2

DEFINE FILE.....
FY /D4 = EDIT(FISCALYEAR);
END
TABLE FILE....
PRINT FY
BY FY
WHERE FY GE &CY_P2;
WHERE FY LE &CY_N2;
END

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
CoolGuy,

AutoAmper prompting is for lazy people.

It's just collects all possible values for a field an offers them to the end-user.

Best solution:
If you want more control, make an HTML-screen.
Here you can choose to populate a dropdown with the values from another fex. You could easily make a fex that selects only the years you want by using a WHERE. ( you cannot do that in autoprompt ).

More solutions:
1) "Quiet okay"
You could fill and save a hold file with only the years you want and let the code refer to that file for available field values.

2) "Okay, but needs maintenance"
Do not dynamically retrieve the values. Just hardcode it:
&YEAR.(<2013>,<2014>,<2015>,<2016>,<2017>).Select year.

3) "Nasty, h4ck3rs..."
DEFINE FILE <yourfile>
   SELECTABLE_YEAR/I4 = IF YEAR GE 2013 AND YEAR LE 2017 THEN YEAR ELSE 2013; 
END

...and then use SELECTABLE_YEAR instead of YEAR.

__
Happy h4ck!ng ! Cool

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
MartinY,

Thanks for the filter solution. It looks great and probably works great. Again, I'm way new and am still unsure how to apply this filter to the 'combobox20' HTML control via HTML Composer. How do I get it to populate within the control? Do I need to have this filter in its own .fex file?

Side note: You've been way helpful thus far and I really appreciate your time you're taking to help me.

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by MartinY:
Welcome to Focus !

First, it may not the prettiest way to do it but having "&YYMD / 10000" keep only the year part of the CCYYMMDD date.

Second what you could do is the fallowing
-SET &CY_P2 = &CY - 2;
-SET &CY_N2 = &CY + 2;
-TYPE CurrentDate =&YYMD, CurrentYear= &CY, Previous2Yr= &CY_P2, Next2Yr= &CY_N2

DEFINE FILE.....
FY /D4 = EDIT(FISCALYEAR);
END
TABLE FILE....
PRINT FY
BY FY
WHERE FY GE &CY_P2;
WHERE FY LE &CY_N2;
END

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Thanks for your insights and understandings.

Your "Best solution" seems great but I am unsure how you would do that. Solution 1...same. Solution 2 is what I've defaulted to until I can get a solution that I understand and can implement. Solution 3 would work but it wouldn't update itself year after year.

Appreciate it!

quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
CoolGuy,

AutoAmper prompting is for lazy people.

It's just collects all possible values for a field an offers them to the end-user.

Best solution:
If you want more control, make an HTML-screen.
Here you can choose to populate a dropdown with the values from another fex. You could easily make a fex that selects only the years you want by using a WHERE. ( you cannot do that in autoprompt ).

More solutions:
1) "Quiet okay"
You could fill and save a hold file with only the years you want and let the code refer to that file for available field values.

2) "Okay, but needs maintenance"
Do not dynamically retrieve the values. Just hardcode it:
&YEAR.(<2013>,<2014>,<2015>,<2016>,<2017>).Select year.

3) "Nasty, h4ck3rs..."
DEFINE FILE <yourfile>
   SELECTABLE_YEAR/I4 = IF YEAR GE 2013 AND YEAR LE 2017 THEN YEAR ELSE 2013; 
END

...and then use SELECTABLE_YEAR instead of YEAR.

__
Happy h4ck!ng ! Cool

Expert
posted Hide Post
This will change every year, no maintenance required:

-SET &BEG_DATE = &DATEYY - 2;
-SET &END_DATE = &DATEYY + 2;

Your Calendar Code Goes Here:
TABLE FILE YOUR_CALENDAR_TABLE_VIEW
SUM
    YEAR
  BY YEAR
WHERE YEAR GE '&BEG_DATE'
  AND YEAR LE '&END_DATE';
 ON TABLE HOLD AS BASEAPP/PROMPT_YRS FORMAT FOCUS 
END
-RUN

Then in your program:

WHERE YEAR EQ '&YEAR.(FIND YEAR IN PROMPT_YRS.YEAR.Select Year';

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
You could, of course, introduce a new selection where years are grouped in, say, 5-year intervals, and have that chain to the main list of fiscal years. This selection could be a check box, for example. And the list of real years you can build dynamically rather than hard-coding the list.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
George P,

Thanks for the ideas! Will keep that them in mind.

quote:
Originally posted by George Patton:
You could, of course, introduce a new selection where years are grouped in, say, 5-year intervals, and have that chain to the main list of fiscal years. This selection could be a check box, for example. And the list of real years you can build dynamically rather than hard-coding the list.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tom F.,

Hey, thanks for the filter code. Looks like a good option.

So, I'm new to all this, and am working in AppStudio. I can switch to DevStudio if needed, because I have that too. My problem I have now is where the filter code goes, and how within AppStudio or DevStudio do I link the filter to the HTML drop-down list control so that it populates correctly. Does the filter code go in its own .fex? The WHERE clause in your code example...That goes within my report .fex I'm guessing. Once that is clear to me, where within either dev environment (within what ribbon, panel, etc.) do I go to connect the filter to the control?

Again, thanks for your time and patience with me, and all your help! Everyone else also!

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Flynn:
This will change every year, no maintenance required:

-SET &BEG_DATE = &DATEYY - 2;
-SET &END_DATE = &DATEYY + 2;

Your Calendar Code Goes Here:
TABLE FILE YOUR_CALENDAR_TABLE_VIEW
SUM
    YEAR
  BY YEAR
WHERE YEAR GE '&BEG_DATE'
  AND YEAR LE '&END_DATE';
 ON TABLE HOLD AS BASEAPP/PROMPT_YRS FORMAT FOCUS 
END
-RUN

Then in your program:

WHERE YEAR EQ '&YEAR.(FIND YEAR IN PROMPT_YRS.YEAR.Select Year';

Expert
posted Hide Post
The code can be run once per year on Jan 1; it will automatically roll to the next 5 years, and Yes, it is in its own fex in a folder on the server(can even be in Baseapp). The baseapp folder is "USUALLY" always on the APP PATH, so, it is always there and the FOCUS DB will always be available.

You can place the focexec in another folder, but, it must be on your APP PATH. If it is not on the APP PATH, then you'll need to add APP PREPENDPATH YOUR_FOLDER_NAME at the top of the report focexec, described below.

The WHERE clause goes in the report focexec. For multi-select, you'll need to add OR to the FIND statement(lookup FIND in the manual)...

hth

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
My Bad, you are now doing HTML.
In HTML Composer, left-click the List/Drop Down box, select Dynamic, External Procedure, and point to that fex. You'll need to to replace ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT FOCUS to ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML

Next you'll need to Bind your ampere variable so it will be passed to your report fex.

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Thank you for the added insights and help. Could you elaborate a bit on how to "Next you'll need to Bind your ampere variable so it will be passed to your report fex."

Thanks!

quote:
My Bad, you are now doing HTML.
In HTML Composer, left-click the List/Drop Down box, select Dynamic, External Procedure, and point to that fex. You'll need to to replace ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT FOCUS to ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML

Next you'll need to Bind your ampere variable so it will be passed to your report fex.

Expert
posted Hide Post
You need to open a manual or get some training...
IBI does the training, I don't, opening the manual doesn't require training...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tom,

I understand I've asked you quite a bit today and appreciate what help you have given me. No worries on additional help. I'll figure it out. IBI's online docs are pathetic when it comes to applying concepts within AppStudio context, etc. I've poured over "manuals" they provide but maybe I haven't hit the one pertaining to my issues yet. Hope you have a good rest of the day. Thanks again.

quote:
You need to open a manual or get some training...
IBI does the training, I don't, opening the manual doesn't require training...

Expert
posted Hide Post
Seems pretty extensive to me...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Got it figured out. Thanks to all who tried to and did help in this thread. I ended up using an external procedure tied to the control with the filtering specified and read as XML.