Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Chart based on top 5 ranking, depending on filter criteria

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Chart based on top 5 ranking, depending on filter criteria
 Login/Join

posted
I went thru the forum discussion history, could not find this issue being discussed.

I am trying to build a graph with two filters:
Business Segment
Business subsegment

Data contains customer performance profitability performance.
Because the way the filters are set up, the same customer could show up twice if it exists in both subsegments under the segment.

I am trying to build a graph to show top 5 or could be top 10 customers volume and margin% based on the ranking of impact.

Is there anyone know how to make it work?
Thank you for your time!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Production WF 8.1, Test WF 8.2
Windows
HTML 5

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I don't think that your issue is with the filters, it looks like it's more a BY and RANKING issue.

Do you display you graph BY BUSINESS_SEGMENT and BY BUSINESS_SUBSEGMENT which result in having twice the same customer displayed ?

If you are displaying your graph by customer I don't think that twice the same customer will be displayed but since you are also ranking by the performance, if a customer has the same performance in two subsegment, it could be displayed twice.

But this can by affected the way your code is and data are. Without further detail is going to be difficult to give a proper answer.
Can you share your code and have more info on your data such as how it is organized (sample could help). Use code tag to display both code and data sample : the last icon on the ribbon
</>

As per below, some CAR are displayed more than once because they have several model with the same PERFO, but if BY MODEL is removed, then each car is displayed only once.

DEFINE FILE CAR
PERFO    /I2 = DECODE CAR ('ALFA ROMEO' 1
                           'AUDI'       2
                           'BMW'        3
                           'DATSUN'     1
                           'JAGUAR'     2
                           'JENSEN'     3
                           'MASERATI'   2
                           'PEUGEOT'    3
                           'TOYOTA'     2
                           'TRIUMPH'    2);
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT PERFO
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE HOLD AS TMP FORMAT FOCUS
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE TMP
RANKED BY PERFO
BY MODEL
BY CAR
END
-RUN

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Or: "BY HIGHEST 5 PERFO"

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
here is the screen print of my InfoAssist chart building:
Screen Print 1

This is the first time I post image on the Forum. Please let me know if you can see it.
Thank you.

Windows
HTML 5

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
SMW,

What is the relation with your original post ? Where is the issue with your graph ?
This graph looks good for me.

I thought that your issue was :
"the same customer could show up twice if it exists in both subsegments under the segment."

But the above may not be an issue. As I showed in my sample, it is possible that a customer appears twice due to data and it could be ok.

As for "I am trying to build a graph to show top 5 or could be top 10 " once your performance is assigned, you can use Doug's sample to have the Top 5 or use RANKED (search in technical library).

Normally what I do prior to build a chart, is to extract the data as in a regular report to look at the result and see if it will provide what I'm looking for from a data point of view.

Can you elaborate ?

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Can a RANK also be done on a report with a count? So i have similar questions in regards to state/county where i have all my BY fields, and then a SUM CNT.items.

CAn i do a top 5 ranking on that CNT.ITEMS field based on two by fields of Year/Week and STATE. Output would be ...

Y-Week1,Illinois, county1, 50, 1
Y-Week1,Illinois, county4, 44, 2
Y-Week1,Illinois, county5, 41, 3
Y-Week1,Missouri, county1, 44, 1
Y-Week2, Illinois, county1, 22, 1

AS Version: 8201
Gen: 10202016
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 49 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: December 13, 2016Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can a RANK also be done on a report with a count?

Try it BSBAL. Wink

What you may have to do is to perform your SUM CNT.field and HOLD the data to then use that new HOLD file as input to another report where you will RANK.

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM CNT.MODEL AS 'CNT_MOD'
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
ON TABLE HOLD AS TMP FORMAT FOCUS
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE TMP
RANKED BY HIGHEST CNT_MOD
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
END
-RUN

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MartinY,

In Focus since 2007

Expert
posted Hide Post
SUM VS RANK: One will show dups if multiple BY fields have the same value. Check the manual to see which one does that and determine which you want to display.

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Marin,
My chart is total sales and margin for a specific business segment.

I need to set an additional filter that allows me to select top 5 or 10 impact customers.

I don't know how to set the filter. I can't seem to implement Doug's suggestion because the sort/rank file is grayed out.

Windows
HTML 5

Expert
posted Hide Post
Add a "ImpactCustomers" DEFAULTed Variable to the fex and then add it to your parm page with the selections either 5 or 10, then add it to your BY HIGHEST &ImpactCustomers [field name].

posted Hide Post
I was able to make the ranking in my Hold file. see attached image.

I believe I had tried it before, and ran into "unrecoverable error" message.

As suggested by Martin, I ran the report based on this setting, I noticed that I am not able to combine the same customers that show up in multiple sub-segments into one, when I use filter "segment" only.

Also, the filter does not allow flexibility of custom input, only the range defined by WF.

Did I explain myself clearly?

Windows
HTML 5

posted Hide Post
Ranking screen print

Image did not get attached to the last posting.

Windows
HTML 5

Expert
posted Hide Post
For simplicity: Get all your data into a single segment HOLD file (FORMAT FOCUS works best imho) and work from there.

For test and verification: Hard Code "BY HIGHEST 5 [field]", and '10' and run it.

posted Hide Post
this is the screen print of me trying to rank to the filter. It does not seem to work...

Impact Ranking trial

Windows
HTML 5

posted Hide Post
this is the coding...
Coding

Windows
HTML 5

posted Hide Post
It seems to be very hard to read Frowner

I don't know how to past it in as text without using URL

Windows
HTML 5

Expert
posted Hide Post
Just a FocalPoint Tip: Please try to keep your replies to a single post. The previous one should be a single post.

Smiler Doug

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know how to past it in as text without using URL

Use the code tag (right most icon on ribbon)
</>

Or in your tread type (without the spaces between [ and c) :
[ code] "paste or type here your code" [/ code]

In Focus since 2007

posted Hide Post
thanks Doug!
New kid on the block will not repeat the same mistake Smiler

Windows
HTML 5