Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED]Filter in Synonym?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED]Filter in Synonym?
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hi, I've looked around the forum and documentation and found a examples but nothing that quite answers my question in a simple enough way for me to understand!
What I need to do. We have a DB2 database containing our data. In certain 'header' tables that are the first tables generally mentioned in join statements (such as an 'order header' which then joins to multiple 'items') we have a 'branch' data item. We need to turn off access to certain branches' data to all of our dashboard reporting and to some reportcaster reports - as we are selling those branches and for a while they will continue to have data in the database but no one in the remaining company can be allowed to access this data (but some scheduled reports will be sent to them).
Question - is there an easy way to force a filter on the tables - even when they are joined up to others - so that they by default will have for example WHERE BRANCH NE 'X' OR 'Y' ;
If this is something that can done at synonym level I can always create some new synonyms for the new owners scheduled reports to allow them to access their data (ie in the copy in effect switch the 'ne' into and 'eq' - WHERE BRANCH EQ 'X' OR 'Y' ; )
Many thanks in advance for any and all help and suggestions Smiler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tamra,

7.7.05 Windows.

Posts: 39 | Location: UK | Registered: July 11, 2012Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
There may be an easier way than this, but I think you could create a DEFINE in the synonym to test for those two branches:

DEFINE BRANCH_BLOCK/A1=IF ((BRANCH EQ 'X') OR (BRANCH 'EQ' 'Y')) THEN 'Y' ELSE 'N';

Then add an additional WHERE clause to your reports to exclude those branch records:

WHERE BRANCH_BLOCK NE 'Y';

You could create a new synonym for the new owners and set BRANCH_BLOCK to 'N':

DEFINE BRANCH_BLOCK/A1='N';

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Yes - can see what you're saying but (very) small team, a couple of thousand reports and very short timescales, so a very simple fix in one place would be awesome!

7.7.05 Windows.

Master
posted Hide Post
Actually, I just found out there ARE filters in master files... I've just never used them.

I'll create a copy of the sample CAR master file and see if I can get one to work.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Bad news... although you can create a filter in a master file, it does not appear to automatically apply it. In App Studio, the filter shows up, but I must right-click on it and select "Add filter to report".

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I came across this:
http://webfocusinfocenter.info...f5-8F1A-D2058F6C697F

7.7.05 Windows.

Master
posted Hide Post
Have you considered using DBA Security?

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darryl_uk:
I came across this:
http://webfocusinfocenter.info...f5-8F1A-D2058F6C697F

Interesting. I think you probably need to use the RESTRICT option.

Maybe something like:

RESTRICT=NOPRINT, VALUE=((BRANCH NE 'X') AND (BRANCH NE 'Y'));, $

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
Squatch,

it would be restrict=value_where. The NOPRINT option is to hide the field.

RESTRICT=VALUE_WHERE, NAME= [SEGMENT], VALUE=BRANCH NOT IN ('X','Y');,$ 

the thing I have been warning people about is that if you use Clustered Master Joins and DBA security in v8.1.05 (probably 8.0.09 and up) you need gen 913 or above. there was a bug in sql generation somewhere after V8.0.08. basically it would always join all tables in the query all the time. It wouldn't recognize when a table wasn't used and exclude it from the query.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Daryl,

How about using FILTER FILE in EDASPROF?
See: Filter File

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post