Focal Point
Holding and then viewing the result in a browser window

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8461097331

August 18, 2004, 07:19 PM
<Pietro De Santis>
Holding and then viewing the result in a browser window
In WF 4.3.6, when executing code something like the program shown below, the data in the resulting hold file AND the associated Master was displayed in a web browser window. This was a great way to offload data for app development when away from the server.

Since WF 5.2.1 this behaviour has changed. When the program completes, you are prompted by the web browser to open or save the data in the resulting hold file. You can choose to open it in a text editor, but there is no Master attached any more.

This change in behaviour is unfortunate. Can it be changed by some server setting? Or perhaps by some setting in the fex?

Thanks,

Pietro.

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COUNTRY CAR MODEL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT ALPHA
END
August 18, 2004, 08:40 PM
FocWizard
Pietro,

I'm not sure what you're requesting. If the MFD and data displayed in your browser, how is that useful, unless you had some home-grown code to screen scrape the result. And, imagine if the output was very large.

With this change, the data (which is typically the larger and more important piece of information) is downloaded, so it can be used automatically. If the Master doesn't change, then any prior master could be used, or sany alternate the user creastes.
August 18, 2004, 09:16 PM
<Pietro De Santis>
I'm sorry if I did not explain myself clearly.

In WF 4.3.6, when the Master and Hold file were displayed in the web browser, I simply selected all the text, copied the selected text, pasted into a text editor, separated the Master from the data, saved the Master, saved the data, wrote a fex to read the Hold file (with a filedef to allocate the file), and presto, I was able to be offline and continue working.

In WF 5.2, all I get is the data, I do not get the Master, therefore I have to create a Master for the hold file, which could get tedious if there were many columns. I like one part of the behaviour - the web browser asking to open or save the Hold file, but why was the Master eliminated? It would be more practical to include the master and giving the use the choice to remove the master from the text.