Focal Point
[CLOSED] Moving Users and Changed Content from v8 to v8 environments

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8467059876

October 20, 2015, 12:10 PM
Terry McBrien
[CLOSED] Moving Users and Changed Content from v8 to v8 environments
Greetings,

Our team is upgrading our WebFOCUS Version 7.7 environment to Version 8.1.05 . The final v8.1.05 environments will be dev, uat, and prod.
We use the IBI provided migration software which moves v7 to v8. I'm interested in hearing anyone's experience in moving objects from v8 to v8, dev to uat to prod.

How did you move your users or did you manually reenter your users? How did you move the security per user?

I found Change Management can move the content and "my content" while using Mode Manager. Change Management appears to be lacking the ability to
see modification attributes. Any content remediation done in UAT needs to be captured since a certain date, via Change Management; I can't find the modification date in order to export a package of only changed content. Likewise, I want to capture only modified v7 content since a certain date, migrate v7 to a stage v8 nvironment, but then I can't use Change Management to identify the change by date when selecting content for the export package. Perhaps I am missing a base fundamental Change Management feature regarding modification attributes.

-Thank you for any info you'd like to share, Terry

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

Moving to 8206, 8105M, Linux, AIX Windows, All Outputs
October 20, 2015, 02:45 PM
CoolGuy
Terry,

Note that Change Management is supposed to be for moving like version content from a source environment to a like version target environment. (7 content to another 7 environment, or 8 to 8) To migrate MRE users, RC jobs, schedules, etc. you must use the supplied .bat utility scripts on the source and target server. If your 7.x content is in the app folders of the Reporting Server, you are out of luck. You have to use the file system to copy things over and make all the code changes to ensure they work. If they are HTML docs created in 7.x, you most likely will have to completely recreate them from scratch.

Good luck!

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.