Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     WF Maintain -- I need to attach to fields that start with a number

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
WF Maintain -- I need to attach to fields that start with a number
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I have data tables that have fields that begin with a number. This does not please Maintain, which throws an obscure error at compile time. I need to find an alternative way to attach to these fields and am having trouble finding a way.

I've set an alias for the field where there is a character in front of the name, but I don't see a way to reference that alias in Maintain. Anyone have any ideas?

J.

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
John
I am not sure this is even allowed, but have you tried fully qualifying the field? Reference the field as:
Master.Segment.Fieldname

You can load and save the field this way. Can you please let me know exactly where it is failing for you and I can try it as well.

Maintain does not respect field aliases.

Mark Derwin

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The issue appears when you bind a screen widget to a field in a stack. In this case I created a checkbox, double-clicked on it, and selected a field entitled EncounterStk.12_Mo_Va_Sex_With_Male (no jokes please). At deploy time, a very misleading error is thrown, and I caught a break when I found a bug report on version 4.3.1 that described the problem. Removal of the reference magically fixed the problem again.

So in short, I don't think I have the opportunity to fully specify the field name. I'm willing to get creative, and I'm trying to decide if there is some way I can have one MFD reference another in order to change the names behind Maintain's back. At this point changing the data table would cause tremendous wailing (and the associated gnashing of teeth) so I am motivated to find an alternative method of access.

Master
posted Hide Post
John
I ran some tests and I'm afraid Maintain cannot handle the field with a number as character one. This is a documented limitation in the describing data manual.

I through we may be able to set up a compute to a temporary field in a stack, but this yields an error as well. If the field is in the stack, but it is not referenced or displayed, you do not get an error, but that will not help if you have to update this field.

Can you create a different Table desciption where the field name is not numeric, but still references your database? In the Master File Desc for SQL tables, Maintain uses the Field names, but SQL uses the aliases. I believe this may be your only solution.

Mark

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That is an ideal solution for me, thanks. I was doing to opposite -- changing the alias instead of the fieldname. Getting Maintain to recognize the MFD change was a bit tricky, but this did indeed bind my field to a screen widget so that it works correctly.

FIELDNAME=T_12_MO_VA_SEX_WITH_MALE, ALIAS=12_Mo_VA_Sex_With_Male, USAGE=A1, ACTUAL=A1,
MISSING=ON, $

Thank you, thank you, Sam I Am.