Focal Point
[CLOSED] WF MRE 7.7.* - basedir domain.htm file zero bytes issue

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8497088986

April 10, 2018, 11:29 AM
Francis Mariani
[CLOSED] WF MRE 7.7.* - basedir domain.htm file zero bytes issue
Hello, I was wondering if any of the long-time WebFOCUS developers remember a problem they may have encountered in the past - namely the control file, Domainname.htm, sometimes getting zapped to zero bytes.

Do any of you know the reason why this happens?

I tried digging around in FocalPoint but couldn't find anything.

I know I've encountered this in the past and it happened yesterday on the antique system I'm supporting.

Thanks,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
April 10, 2018, 05:00 PM
Waz
Remember it happening, but don't remember a solution.

Hope you have backups

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

April 11, 2018, 09:29 AM
Francis Mariani
I found two troubleshooting documents related to this bug.

The first describes what I already remember doing in the past - restoring the domain.htm file from a backup.

80452520 – Not able to access reports in one Managed Reporting domain

It seems I'll have to do what the second describes - I can't view that domain via Dev Studio.

52172518 – Cannot associate domain with WFRS node in Managed Reporting

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
April 11, 2018, 11:47 AM
CoolGuy
I remember in some releases, when trying to open a file from an outside text editor and saving changes, it would revert the file to 0 bytes and everything would be gone after. The code was deleted somehow by saving the file from Notepad++. Not sure if that is related or not.

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.
April 11, 2018, 11:53 AM
Michael L Meagher
Oh man - I remember that one. I always had to restore from a backup. It got to the point where I saved off a copy before I started an edit.

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 - Production
WebFOCUS 8.2.04 - Sand Box
Windows 2012 R2 Server
HTML, PDF, Excel
In FOCUS since 1980
April 11, 2018, 04:52 PM
Waz
Our External editor was always set to backup on save.

Its just safer that way

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

April 11, 2018, 05:37 PM
KenFR
quote:
mes

We found that it was the way the software saved when a change was being made; it deletes the file and then saves the new one. This is great when it works, but zeros out the file if it glitches mid-process.
Never found a fix, just set up an hourly backup process to recover files and a zero-byte scan to find them when it happened

8105 Tomcat and AIX reporting server
input: Teradata, SQL, DB2, Essbase, Oracle, text
output:html, excel, PDF,
April 12, 2018, 09:18 AM
Francis Mariani
Yes, this is the infamous FILE zero-byte problem. EditPlus has a life-saving option to backup the file being edited. I have backups of files I edited in 2005!

The bigger problem is the MRE Domain "control" (as the documentation calls it) file, domain-id.htm. I've experienced this file getting zapped at least a couple of times in my career. We restored the file, things worked for a day, then things got unstable, so a server reboot (WebSphere, WebFOCUS) seems to have fixed it for now.

My current job is to babysit a dying (v7.7.05) star.

Francis

April 12, 2018, 11:18 AM
CoolGuy
LOL Sooo true... Our's was a 7.6.11 red giant. We barely got the last application off of it before it went super nova on us... *moment of silence/takes hat off*

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.
April 13, 2018, 05:38 PM
RRKen
quote:

As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced

8.2.03 AIX Client Windows Tomcat
DB2, Terradata, SQL, Oracle