As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only. Moving forward, myibi is our community platform to learn, share, and collaborate. We have the same Focal Point forum categories in myibi, so you can continue to have all new conversations there. If you need access to myibi, contact us at email@example.com and provide your corporate email address, company, and name.
Hello, I was wondering if any of the long-time WebFOCUS developers remember a problem they may have encountered in the past - namely the control file, Domainname.htm, sometimes getting zapped to zero bytes.
Do any of you know the reason why this happens?
I tried digging around in FocalPoint but couldn't find anything.
I know I've encountered this in the past and it happened yesterday on the antique system I'm supporting.
I remember in some releases, when trying to open a file from an outside text editor and saving changes, it would revert the file to 0 bytes and everything would be gone after. The code was deleted somehow by saving the file from Notepad++. Not sure if that is related or not.
8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.
Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015
We found that it was the way the software saved when a change was being made; it deletes the file and then saves the new one. This is great when it works, but zeros out the file if it glitches mid-process. Never found a fix, just set up an hourly backup process to recover files and a zero-byte scan to find them when it happened
8105 Tomcat and AIX reporting server input: Teradata, SQL, DB2, Essbase, Oracle, text output:html, excel, PDF,
Yes, this is the infamous FILE zero-byte problem. EditPlus has a life-saving option to backup the file being edited. I have backups of files I edited in 2005!
The bigger problem is the MRE Domain "control" (as the documentation calls it) file, domain-id.htm. I've experienced this file getting zapped at least a couple of times in my career. We restored the file, things worked for a day, then things got unstable, so a server reboot (WebSphere, WebFOCUS) seems to have fixed it for now.
My current job is to babysit a dying (v7.7.05) star.
Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991
Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server