Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Blank lines appearing at top of report output

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Blank lines appearing at top of report output
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone seen this? When I run a report locally, it displays fine and gives me a normal message like:

0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 133 LINES= 133
WebFOCUS Version 7.6.2 compiled and linked on Tue Jun 26 21:27:18 EDT 2007 (Gen branch762:130)

But when I run the same report up on the server, I get two blank lines at the top and the message says:

0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 2 LINES= 2
ALPHANUMERIC RECORD NAMED SAVE
0 FIELDNAME ALIAS FORMAT LENGTH
RSTT_RMNTH_NAME E01 A7 7
RSTT_RMNTH_NAME E01 A7 7
TOTAL 14
0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 133 LINES= 133
WebFOCUS Version 7.6.2 compiled and linked on Tue Jun 26 21:27:18 EDT 2007 (Gen branch762:130)

It looks like it's running two reports. Here's a simplified .fex I'm using to try to debug this:

ENGINE SQLORA SET DEFAULT_CONNECTION wmwp
SQL SQLORA EX reports.pk_walmart.load_dash_pos_table 'Rimmel';
END
TABLE FILE POS_TABLE
PRINT
WEEK_SALES
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN,
SQUEEZE=ON,
ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
PAGECOLOR='WHITE',
$
TYPE=REPORT,
GRID=OFF,
FONT='ARIAL',
SIZE=9,
COLOR='BLACK',
BACKCOLOR='NONE',
STYLE=NORMAL,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-Gregg

WebFOCUS 7.6.8
XP/Oracle/Essbase/BW
AHTML/PDF/Excel

Posts: 9 | Location: New York City | Registered: January 18, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
ENGINE SQLORA SET DEFAULT_CONNECTION wmwp
SQL SQLORA EX reports.pk_walmart.load_dash_pos_table 'Rimmel';
END

I'm no expert here, but the above code may be generating the message you see. In Report caster you see a lot more information than often displays on-line.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Ohhh, thanks Leah, that had me so excited, it really made sense! But that wasn't it:

Fex with SP call removed:
==============================================
TABLE FILE POS_TABLE
PRINT
WEEK_SALES
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN,
SQUEEZE=ON,
ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
PAGECOLOR='WHITE',
$
TYPE=REPORT,
GRID=OFF,
FONT='ARIAL',
SIZE=9,
COLOR='BLACK',
BACKCOLOR='NONE',
STYLE=NORMAL,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

Still produces 2 blank rows and same message:
==============================================
RSTT_RMNTH_NAME E01 A7 7
RSTT_RMNTH_NAME E01 A7 7
TOTAL 14
0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 197 LINES= 197

Anyone have any other ideas I could try?
Thanks,
-Gregg

WebFOCUS 7.6.8
XP/Oracle/Essbase/BW
AHTML/PDF/Excel

Posts: 9 | Location: New York City | Registered: January 18, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Have you tried adding -SET &ECHO='ALL'; at the very top of the program?

How do you run the report on the server? Is it in a BI Dashboard, MRE?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's what I get with ECHO:

RSTT_RMNTH_NAME E01 A7 7
RSTT_RMNTH_NAME E01 A7 7
TOTAL 14
TABLE FILE POS_TABLE
PRINT
WEEK_SALES
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN,
SQUEEZE=ON,
ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
PAGECOLOR='WHITE',
$
TYPE=REPORT,
GRID=OFF,
FONT='ARIAL',
SIZE=9,
COLOR='BLACK',
BACKCOLOR='NONE',
STYLE=NORMAL,
$
ENDSTYLE
END
0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 22 LINES= 22

The final product is a dashboard with four embedded reports, but I get the two lines no matter how I run the procedures. For this debugging I am simply clicking on the fex on the server in Dev Studio and hitting run.

Thanks,
-Gregg

WebFOCUS 7.6.8
XP/Oracle/Essbase/BW
AHTML/PDF/Excel

Expert
posted Hide Post
Turn WFServlet and Procedure tracing on in each environment to capture what code is parsed and executed. Do not forget to turn tracing off again once you have finished! Wink

If this is run via report caster (same report up on the server) then do you have a pre-process fex running before hand?

The additional message you are getting is as a result of running some code like this -
TABLE FILE [something]
BY RSTT_RMNTH_NAME
ON TABLE SAVE
END

Do you have code like this anywhere?

BTW, does it really matter that much? Or are you getting different report output as well?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It looks like something is being executed from edasprof or even earlier still in the processing logic (by means of wfs script files).
If you run it locally (on your own pc environment against your own private pc server, I assume) this does not happen, but when you run it an the production server then this does happen.
So it has to be something that is executed automatically before your procedure runs.
The fact that the set echo does not take effect until after the mysterious messages, seems to indicate that indeed something is executed first.
Maybe you systems administrator can shine some light on this issue.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I agree with GamP, something is running before your program, so it's most likely an INCLUDE or EXEC in edasprof.prf.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony A:
BTW, does it really matter that much?
T

It matters because the empty rows ruin the layout of the dashboard and look real amateur. I can't put it in production like this.

I'm going to see if I can copy the server's edasprof to my machine and recreate the phantom report locally.

Thanks,
-Gregg

WebFOCUS 7.6.8
XP/Oracle/Essbase/BW
AHTML/PDF/Excel

posted Hide Post
Got it! It was this line in the edasprof:

SET LINES=9999

Commented that out and the two blank rows went away.

Thank you all for your help!
-Gregg

WebFOCUS 7.6.8
XP/Oracle/Essbase/BW
AHTML/PDF/Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It's always the simple things that bite you.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post