Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Sebol tables, large fields, printing mailing labels

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Sebol tables, large fields, printing mailing labels
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Ok, I am perplexed. I have a sebol table that I am bringing into WebFocus. There are three fields in the table that I need to concatenate together and have done. those fields are Title, first name and last name that I concatenate together so it reads "Mrs. Jane Doe" On all other reporting the name looks great. HOWEVER, on label printing the trailing blanks on each of the concatenated fields are reinserted and the name does not come out correct and bleeds over into the second label. Any ideas anyone on how to fix this to work correctly? The Sebol table fields are huge like 200, 300 and 300 characters each. The concatenated field is 800 characters total. How do I get this back to a manageable size and where it will print correctly on a label format. Again the report format prints this concatenation fine.

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Posts: 67 | Location: Marceline, Missouri | Registered: August 09, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You might try using the substr function to just create a field of manageable size.

syntax is

SUBSTR (inlength, parent, start, end, sublength, outfield)

Parent would be the long field, outfield would be the shorter one.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Jenny
can you show us the define you use?
did you trim out the spaces?
what is the size of the label you use?

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Sure here it is. We changed it up a little to see if we could make a difference but no change

TITLET/A10 = SUBSTR(10, TITLE, 1, 10, 10, TITLET);
FIRSTT/A50 = SUBSTR(50, FIRST_NAME, 1, 50, 50, FIRSTT);
LASTT/A50 = SUBSTR(50, LAST_NAME, 1,50 , 50, LASTT);
CONTACT/A120 = (TITLET | ' ' | FIRSTT | ' ' | LASTT);

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Posts: 67 | Location: Marceline, Missouri | Registered: August 09, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
here is the code for making the label pretty simple

SET ONLINE-FMT = PDF
TABLE FILE INK_DATA
BY SCHOOL NOPRINT
ON SCHOOL PAGE-BREAK
HEADING
"""""ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOPAGE
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN,
PAGESIZE='LETTER',
LEFTMARGIN=0.125,
TOPMARGIN=0.25,
PAGEMATRIX=(3 10),
ELEMENT=(2.625 1.1),
GUTTER=(0.275 0.0),
MATRIXORDER=HORIZONTAL,
$
TYPE=HEADING,
FONT='ARIAL',
SIZE=10,
$
ENDSTYLE

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I took out the quote and lessthan symbol so the fields would show up here. sorry

SET ONLINE-FMT = PDF
TABLE FILE INK_DATA
BY SCHOOL NOPRINT
ON SCHOOL PAGE-BREAK
HEADING
CONTACT
JOB
SCHOOL
ADDRESS
CITY ST ZIP
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOPAGE
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN,
PAGESIZE='LETTER',
LEFTMARGIN=0.125,
TOPMARGIN=0.25,
PAGEMATRIX=(3 10),
ELEMENT=(2.625 1.1),
GUTTER=(0.275 0.0),
MATRIXORDER=HORIZONTAL,
$
TYPE=HEADING,
FONT='ARIAL',
SIZE=10,
$
ENDSTYLE

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:

TITLET/A10 = SUBSTR(10, TITLE, 1, 10, 10, TITLET);
FIRSTT/A50 = SUBSTR(50, FIRST_NAME, 1, 50, 50, FIRSTT);
LASTT/A50 = SUBSTR(50, LAST_NAME, 1,50 , 50, LASTT);

I'm not sure what the first 3 formulas are needed for, but if you change in the last one the | to a double || that will trim the trailing spaces, so
CONTACT/A120 = (TITLET||' '|FIRSTT||' '|LASTT);

Frank

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
We were trying anything to make it work. sometimes little things make things work correctly. We at first had it like this

CONTACT/A500 = (TITLE|' '|FIRST|' '|LAST);

this still did not make it work properly. It is like when you save off the file and use it again in the label fex, it puts all the spaces back in instead of using the shortened version of the name. Here is what it looks like

Mrs. Trudy Barnes

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Gosh this does not put your spaces in properly. It was Mrs. (4 spaces) Trudy (about 25 spaces)then Barnes

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Also, on the other labels the First name and Last name fields line up all the way down the page with all the other first and last names. Almost like a hidden tab is in play somewhere. Very weird.

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Jenny
take a look at the the other question "GETTOK ...." it is more or less the same problem.

Frank

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Ok, I will look at it, not sure what gettok is but I guess I will learn! Sweating

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you are looking at a field like this in an html report it will probably look fine as spaces are automatically compressed in html.

Strong concatenation as in this example doesn't actually trim any spaces it simply moves them to the end of the object on the right side of the strong concatenation symbol.
CONTACT/A120 = (TITLET||' '|FIRSTT||' '|LASTT);

You can see it more clearly if you use a Courier font for your testing.

I might change it to this so that all extra spaces get moved to the very end:
CONTACT/A120 = (TITLET||(' '|(FIRSTT||(' '|LASTT))));

ttfn, kp

Access to most releases from R52x, on multiple platforms.

Posts: 346 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post