Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     ReportCaster stops with a bad input record

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
ReportCaster stops with a bad input record
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
We have a ReportCaster job that runs fine every day! There's a flat file used for input. Here's a simplified version of the code;

FILEDEF BCIMPORT DISK \\IMNT14SHARED\PRICING\DATA\BCDATA\AVGLIF.TXT
-RUN
TABLE FILE BCIMPORT
PRINT DESCRIPTION COUPON MATURITY
PRICE PRICE_MET SPREAD
BY CUSIP
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLDCURR
END
-RUN ...and more stuff happens

The input file was received recently with asterisks **** in one field in one record only and ReportCaster fails to run the rest of the job.

I would have guessed the HOLD file would have been created without the offending record, but that's not happening in ReportCaster. We're using release 5, we're not using MRE. Does anyone know why?

I'm told when ReportCaster generates an error, it fails to run the schedule sucessfully.
BTW, this runs fine outside of ReportCaster.
Any way to turn off ReportCaster error messages?

Thanks,
Carol

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding that MRE and Caster are not the 'same code set' as to interpretation.

If informational messages can be turned off, I'd like an answer to that question as well.

Thanks
Leah C

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Carol.i've had similar probs.
There is a setting SET ERROROUT = ON/OFF
that you might research,
(divide by zero is a famous caster killer that works fine live..and errorout didn't help any).
but what i do is clean my data right in my master before trying to read it.
so i have in my master a CTRAN function that takes a whacky character and changes it to something non-fatal. I have an EBCIDIC version for my ibm mainframe reads and an ASCII version for reading files on servers.
so..if i wanted to take out an & and replace it with a + before reading the data,
NEWNAME/A30=CTRAN(30,NAME,38,43,NEWNAME);
where 38 is hex value of & and 43 is hexvalue of 43. (in ebcidic they're 80 and 78 respectively).
Easier, you might use the STRIP function
THING/A17=STRIP(17,THING,'*','A17');
and the THING variable is redefined to be without any *. For this to work,
you'ld have to be reading text fields, so your incoming master might have to change to all format A and do your number formats later.
Any help?

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Susannah,
You are the BEST!
ERROROUT worked, that's exactly what I was looking for. And thanks for all the other great suggestions. I'm am using the STRICTMATH command, I realize we're using ReportCaster for more ways than it was designed to be used. But, having an error message stop the process is bit scary!

Thanks so much,
Carol

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Cool. yep, Envelope Pushing is our best sport!

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post