Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Can't seem to find hold file for new report

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Can't seem to find hold file for new report
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I was trying to create a hold file to be used in another report. I have created hold files before and been able to report off them. Not sure what I'm doing wrong this time. After I run the fex, and create a new fex, I can't see or use the hold file.

Fex1 to Create Hold File
DEFINE FILE CAR ADD
Date_Updated/HYYMDS=HGETC(10, 'HYYMDS');
END
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SEATS
BY Date_Updated
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
ON TABLE HOLD AS DAILY_HIST FORMAT ALPHA
END

After running, this is the message:
quote:
0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 18 LINES= 10

I assume this means the output is 10 rows of data.

Fex2 for report in GUI not able to see DAILY_HIST. If I manually type into text view, get an error
quote:

0 ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE 1 IN PROCEDURE ADHOCRQ FOCEXEC *
(FOC205) THE DESCRIPTION CANNOT BE FOUND FOR FILE NAMED: DAILY_HIST
BYPASSING TO END OF COMMAND

fex 2 manually typed to look like:
TABLE FILE DAILY_HIST
PRINT Date_Updated
COUNTRY
CAR
SEATS
END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sxschech,

WebFocus 7.7.03
Win7, all output

Expert
posted Hide Post
If you want to keep a hold file, then you should probably use APP HOLD

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
FOCCACHE is another option of you only need to retain the HOLD data temporarily for a short period of time.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Doesn/t FOCCACHE only work for a session ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It does, which is often exactly what you need for temporary data.

If it only were a bit easier to use hold-files in FOCCACHE with embedded procedures (html launch pages). HTML Composter doesn't allow to select such files, even though they should be in the same session - it doesn't look in FOCCACHE at all! After you hack the HTML to add foccache to the path ("ibiapp_app" attributes) it can find such hold-files just fine, so it can work Frowner

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this will work for you. But we have resorted to doing is creating a "tmp" sub-directory under ibi/apps, and then creating a sub-directory under this per user (based on the userID).
This was implemented prior to the introduction of FOCCACHE, and is now so embedded in our applications that we have not yet thought of converting to FOCCACHE.
So, as an example, if your UserID is sxschech, then there would be a directory called ibi/apps/tmp/sxschech.
That is the first step.
The second step is that in the site profile we then MAP to this directory with the same app name e.g.
APP MAP TMPUSER DISK D:\ibi\apps\sxschech

Then, where we want HOLD files to be persistent between sessions, we would use e.g.
ON TABLE HOLD AS TMPUSER/DAILY_HIST FORMAT ALPHA

That creates both the FTM and MAS file in the user's TMP directory.

WebFOCUS 8.2.06 mostly Windows Server

Posts: 195 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: September 13, 2008Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Oh, and obviously the TMPUSER mapped directory needs to be in the PATH e.g.
APP PREPENDPATH TMPUSER

Posts: 195 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: September 13, 2008Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
If I'm reading this correctly, sxschec is running a FEX and creating a hold file. Then running a separate FEX and trying to access that hold file. I think this is a no-no. The FILEDEF for the hold disappears when the first FEX terminates.

The second TABLE request has to reside in the same FEX as the first one - or you have to create a FILEDEF back to the hold file before running the second table in a second FEX.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Forgot to turn notification on. Thanks for the suggestions. What I'm looking to do is to create a table file that will be appended to on a daily basis and then run a report off of that data.

WebFocus 7.7.03
Win7, all output

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If data is only needed temporarily, FOCCACHE avoids the necessity of using APP HOLD and FILEDEF because the FOCCACHE folder is appended to the front of the APP PATH for each user session.

@ Twanette - FOCCACHE won't work in your situation because it is single folder common to all users - unless you incorporate a method to uniquely name files stored in FOCCACHE for each user.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Dan,

FOCCACHE is actually unique to each user session and therefore doesn't have the Problem you suggest. Each user session will create a sub-folder within the main FOCCACHE folder (same parent folder as edatemp if I remember). You are correct in stating that the FOCCACHE folder is app mapped and prepended to the app path but it is the sub-folder in FOCCACHE that is prepended and not FOCCACHE itself. This negates the requirement that we used to employ differing hold file names generated by utilising the mre userid or time stamp etc. such that a file held as FOCCACHE/filename is unique to each user because of the folder per user per session situation.

I harness FOCCACHE often but will check for the existence of the source in FOCCACHE first just in case a new session is in existence. If the source file exists, I will skip the creation otherwise I will allow its recreation - much like we did in "days gone by" Wink.

So Twanette (remember you from foclist(?) days?), you should be able to proceed with a move to FOCCACHE usage fairly confident that it will match what you currently do without having to go to the effort of testing for the existence of the tmp/user folder first - just use FOCCACHE.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
@ sxsChech,

To achieve a daily (or periodic) appended file, you need to identify your base requirements first.

What RDBMS do you need to use (if any)?

If a flat file will suffice, then utilise filedef using the (append option on a permanent file existent on your SAN or network device.

If you need a structured table but do not have a RDBMS then look at using FOCUS format (XFOCUS is a licence implication). However, you will need FOCUS MODIFY knowledge but your local IB professional services might be available to assist if necessary?

There are many previous posts on Focal Point that may provide suggestions on how to achieve this.

Good luck

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tony for correcting both my mistaken post and my mistaken understanding of FOCCACHE.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony A,
Agreed. FOCCACHE would largely be a suitable replacement! It has just been a factor of time, and the age old "if it aint broken ..." Smiler

I think the only advantage to our method was that it could in fact be even more "persistent" than FOCCACHE i.e. even between browser sessions.
But the biggest disadvantage of our mechanism was that we had to build all the functionality to check/create the subdirectories, and then to clean up all the files that we didn't want to keep.

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
even more "persistent"

Absolutely, and very useful in many situations - I am sure that many sites use this sort of processing.

My only concern is, in a near real time environment, using files lurking from previous days (weeks, months?) and the end user (bless them Wink) believing that what they saw in the report was current data. Do you clear out your temp folders nightly or is your reporting environment not required to be near real time?

@ Dan, I must admit that it took me a while to read through how FOCCACHE was meant to work and get my few grey cells to comprehend the workings. Once I did, it has proved invaluable many times.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
@ Tony - My misunderstanding of FOCCACHE came from my own observations in the few instances where I had used it. When searching for my FOCCACHE session entries in Dev Studio, I found only one FOCCACHE folder. So my assunption was that every users' data would be stored in the same FOCCACHE folder. After your post I searched IBI's tech site and eventually found documentation that confirmed your explanation. Dev Studio must somehow limit my "view" of the FOCCACHE folder to only those entries I have created. A brilliant implementation that had me confused from my viewpoint.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
eventually found documentation

Hi Dan,

Oh so true and I now have an external hard drive (pen drive too small Wink) of the PDF documents that I have found to be useful.

I know that I can get them from the web anytime but that's not worth anything when I do not have internet access! I just have to remember to keep them current when there's a new release.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
external hard drive (pen drive too small ) of the PDF documents

I've done the same, but I've got all the documents, get them all for the release we are on/going to. Its easier that having to go get one when its needed.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984