Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     text looks different on different monitors

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
text looks different on different monitors
 Login/Join

posted
When I create .htm pages (which have a list of links representing reports on a menu a user can select from), the text lines up and I think it looks good.

For example, in one menu I use Arial terminal as the font for the text on these links. On each link I, basically, have 2 columns - a description on the left, and the .htm filename (which the link runs) on the right. On my monitor all the .htm filenames are lined up as if in 1 neat column.

But on some other people's monitors, the text is scrunched up and those .htm filenames are not lined up.

Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do so that what I see on my monitor (where things are lined up and readable) are also what other people will see on their monitors?

Thanks,

~Mark

Posts: 27 | Location: Maryland | Registered: March 09, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Sounds as if the screen resolution is not the same for all of the monitors. Doubt it is a WebFOCUS issue.

Oh, and Mark, would you update your signature to show which version you are using. Thanks.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Could also be that the font that you are using is also not installed on the other machines. When creating Web pages of any kind, it is always better to stick to the generally available fontsfrom a base install of the OS instead of using fancy fonts such as scripts etc. Basically the font is served from the end users machine and not the web server.

The only way around this is to generate an image of the text you require in the font that you want, then you can just display the image. Not exatly suitable for a WebFOCUS app but it's one way that web designers get around the font problem.

Stick to Arial, Times New Roman, Helvetica etc.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Leah, sorry, I haven't posted anything here in awhile. I'll try to check the screen resolution of others. Mine is 1024 by 768.

I still haven't gotten the hang of everything we're using and what version, operating system, server, client.......but here's what I know we're using:

WebFocus 7.6.4
Dev Studio 7.6.4
Data Migrator 7.6.4
WIN XP - my pc
WIN NT - our servers
Apache Tomcat 5.x

Tony, I didn't really think I was using any fancy fonts. I'm pretty sure this has also happened when I've used Courier New.

Thanks,

~Mark

Posts: 27 | Location: Maryland | Registered: March 09, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Mark, you do realize this is not a WebFOCUS problem, but a general Internet issue. There are dozens of great websites out there that discuss web page design and how to minimize differences.

You should use CSS to style your web pages. I set the font-size of text on my pages in pixels (e.g. 12px) - changing the text size via the web browser option will not affect the page (though this does not appear to be recommended as it doesn't help people with challenging eyesight).

Screen resolution will definitely have an impact - there is no way to guarantee everyone is looking at your web page with exactly the same settings.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Is it possible that the various different PC's involved in your problem have different setting for Windows 'Large fonts/Small Fonts' setting (somewhere in the Advanced Display Properties) ?

That would seem to fit your symptoms.

Dave

Regards,
Dave

http://www.daveayers.com

WebFocus/Maintain 7.6.4-8
on Win2000 and 2003 Server

Posts: 165 | Location: Detroit Metro | Registered: September 17, 2003Report This Post