Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Single Quote issue with in a text

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Single Quote issue with in a text
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi,
I got a problem in forming the value of type String singleoute-comma-singlequote separated in a WHERE clause.

I have used the QUOTEDSTRING attribute it is working perfectly for me below I have some
things to mention which is working properly.

SELECT * FROM TABLENAME
WHERE FieldName IN (&WFVARIABLE.QUOTEDSTRING)

Ex:
&WFVARIABLE='LIFE'S GOOD';

SELECT * FROM TABLENAME
WHERE FieldName IN ('LIFE''S GOOD')

The value is forming properly for a single text to the sql server to understand and run without any errors. My issue is I have a string with singleoute-comma-singlequote

Ex:
-SET DEFAULT &WFVARIABLE='';

string --> 'LIFE'S GOOD','DIANNE%','NEWYORKSTOCK,'

How to put the string into WHERE CLAUSE so that the it should not throw any error.

If I use QUOTEDSTRING then the string is forming like below

SELECT * FROM TABLENAME
WHERE FieldName IN (''LIFE''S GOOD'',''DIANNE%'',''NEWYORKSTOCK,'') --> This is wrong,

I want the string in the following way If we use the QUOTEDSTRING

SELECT * FROM TABLENAME
WHERE FieldName IN ('LIFE''S GOOD','DIANNE%','NEWYORKSTOCK,')

Thanks in Advance

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6.10
Windows
Output: Excel,PDF

posted Hide Post
To get a quote into an & variable, you need an extra single quote pair as follows:

-SET &test = 'O''''BRIEN';

SQL
select LASTNAME from VIDEOTRK
where LASTNAME = '&test'
;
END

producing:

PAGE 1

LASTNAME
O'BRIEN

Note that you also need to still put quotes round &test in the query.

If you use FOCUS code, it is easier as described here here.

WF 7.6.8, Windows
Any output format: HTML, Excel, PDF, XML, etc.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This should work:
-SET &WFVARIABLE = '''LIFE'''S GOOD'',''DIANNE%'',''NEWYORKSTOCK''';
WHERE FieldName IN (&WFVARIABLE)

But this may be easier to understand:
-SET &WFVAR1 = 'LIFE'S GOOD';
-SET &WFVAR2 = 'DIANNE%';
-SET &WFVAR3 = 'NEWYORKSTOCK';
WHERE FieldName IN (&WFVAR1.QUOTEDSTRING,&WFVAR2.QUOTEDSTRING,&WFVAR3.QUOTEDSTRING)

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Here is the way I like to do quotes within a set command.

-SET &QT='''' ;
-SET &WHERE1VAL=&QT || 'BMW' || &QT | ' OR ' | &QT || 'AUDI' || &QT;

The result would be:

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT *
WHERE CAR LIKE &WHERE1VAL;
-*WHERE CAR LIKE 'BMW' OR 'AUDI';
END

------------------------------------------
DevStudio 8.2.03
WFS 8.2.03

Posts: 86 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: May 10, 2007Report This Post