Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
interview questions
 Login/Join

posted
can some one help me in giving some webfocus interview FAQ's

Expert
posted Hide Post
For you to ask?

- or -

For you to answer?

Wink

Either way, I would be cautious about posting any on this board as any applicant could get though an interview without the requisite, underlying, knowledge - thus defeating the whole purpose of an interview!!

If they were for you to ask an interviewee then you could end up with someone who has to continually ask questions on this (or other) forum(s) because of a basic lack of knowledge, thus ending up getting the good folks here to do their work for them!!!

Not that this happens of course - lol

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tony A,

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Q: How many WebFOCUS programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Depends on the version of the light bulb.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Q: How many WebFOCUS programmers does it take to change a light bulb? Please illustrate the solution in an example using the CAR file.

et

FOCUS 7.6 MVS PDF,HTML,EXCEL

Posts: 115 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 28, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Good One

I love you guys!!!

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think about the only questions you can ask that would provide avluable responses would be about experience - platforms (MVS, Linux, Windows)
development environments/tools (IDEs, Web tools) products (iWay, WF, ReportCaster, DevStudio)
features (Active Reports, self-service, MRE)
and last but not least, time using the products

Other than that, as Tony mentions, someone could just "cram for the test" without having the valuable tools

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Did you know that this is valid syntax:

TABLE FILE CAR PRINT THE SALES AND THE DCOST BY THE COUNTRY 
END

The THE is for "readability".

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Check out the join syntax in CAR file example. This works and gives no errors on MVS focus 7.11.

TABLE FILE CAR
BY COUNTRY AS KOUNTRY
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLD1 AND SET ASNAMES ON
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT CAR
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLD2
END
JOIN COUNTRY HOLD2 KOUNTRY HOLD1 J1
TABLEF FILE HOLD2
PRINT CAR BY KOUNTRY
END

KOUNTRY CAR
------- ---
ENGLAND JAGUAR
JENSEN
TRIUMPH
----------------------------
FRANCE PEUGEOT
ITALY ALFA ROMEO
MASERATI
JAPAN DATSUN
TOYOTA
W GERMANY AUDI
BMW

> ? join
JOINS CURRENTLY ACTIVE

HOST CROSSREFERENCE
FIELD FILE TAG FIELD FILE TAG AS ALL
----- ---- --- ----- ---- --- -- ---
COUNTRY HOLD2 KOUNTRY HOLD1 J1
> >

FOCUS 7.6 MVS PDF,HTML,EXCEL

Posts: 115 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 28, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
E.T.

The answer to your earlier question is -

One,

MODIFY FILE CAR
NEXT COUNTRY
ON NEXT CONTINUE
NEXT CAR
ON NEXT CONTINUE
NEXT MODEL
ON NEXT COMPUTE HEADLIGHT_DIP/A8 = IF D.COUNTRY EQ 'ENGLAND' THEN 'LEFT' ELSE 'RIGHT';
ON NEXT UPDATE HEADLIGHT_DIP
DATA ON FIDEL
END

-

Do I get the job Wink

T

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We're still waiting for you in Texas Tony. Smiler

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
ROFL ROFL ROFL

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
She's baaaaack! Smiler

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yes Susannah we miss you on here.

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
A train leaves Chicago at 9:32AM going 47 MPH. Another train leaves NYC at 6:37AM going 28 MPH.

A WebFOCUS programmer is trying to get his/her Page X of Page Y working in a compound PDF report composed of 6 different reports using version 5.2.x.

Question. Which will occur first - the programmer correctly completing his/her PDF, or the two trains meeting?

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2003,SQL Server 2005,Oracle

Posts: 125 | Location: New England | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Rick,

What continent does the programmer come from? Wink and how many days experience does that person have?

T

Guru
posted Hide Post
Mind telling us in what direction the two trains are going? Music

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think they are going to colide if the programmers are on the train trying to put the page numbers on the PDF compound report.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
WOW!! Tough crowd..though a very funny bunch...thanks for the lunchtime laughs.

Kummy, are you experienced at all in any of the FOCUS products? If not experienced, then I'd also have to agree with the Tony that it's just not fair to anyone, though when someone is in an interview, rarely would they have access to the forum on the spot like that, if they even know it exists(I only found out about it recently and I've been using this language since 1988!!!...yes, I've lived quite a sheltered career...).

My only advice is that if you look through the forum you'll see questions that folks are asking (i.e. difference between compute and define, etc.) and determine questions and expected answers.

I do have to add my two cents though...my favorite that rarely gets answered properly when I do interviews is: What does FOCUS stand for?

Also, if anyone states that they know FOCUS on their resume, but it's in lower-case, toss the resume because they don't know that's it's an acronym and has NOTHING to do with micro-focus COBOL(you have no idea how many recruiters think that it does).

Good luck,
Carol

------------------------------------------
last version used: v7.1; truly miss the wonderful things I did with WebFOCUS, HTML, & JavaScript.

Posts: 36 | Location: Rolling Meadows, IL | Registered: September 05, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Q: How many Tech Reps does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: They Can't. The product was installed properly.

Music

Expert
posted Hide Post
... and the most important question of all?

Where is the manual?

Although now-a-days it could quite possibly be "Where is the manual CD?" or "Where are the manuals?". For, as Carol will no doubt confirm, things have moved on since the early days of FOCUS and the manual has now become a small library Confused

T

Expert
posted Hide Post
Rick,

I am curious as to why the train out of Chicago is travelling at almost twice the speed of the one out of NYC?

Is it something about the neighbourhood? Or has the one out of NYC only half the wheels it arrived with?

T

Expert
posted Hide Post
Whilst the thoughts are coming, how about getting a car sticker to hand out at the next Summit -

"Old FOCUS coders never die, they just become functionally stable."

T

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...I think using the word "stable", at least for me, would be a stretch...at least that's what I'm told.

As for manuals, my End User-Written subroutine manual(now termed FUNCTIONS) still is quite handy...though I'm sure outdated.

last version used: v7.1; truly miss the wonderful things I did with WebFOCUS, HTML, & JavaScript.

Posts: 36 | Location: Rolling Meadows, IL | Registered: September 05, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
wow.. what does FOCUS stand for? that's a great Summit Trivia Contest question, along with What does WORP stand for?.

Kummy, we do apologize for hijacking your thread. But we're all tired and punchy and your topic was just irresistible.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
ET,

You just love showing the join without IN and TO don't you Wink

FOCUS an acronym Idea
I GOT IT!!! Falling On Crusty Used Socks

No?

OK - how about Forget Other Custom Utilization Software

Windows: WF 7.6.2: SQL Server 2008 R2

Posts: 86 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 03, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
For On-line Computer UserS I think it's stated in one of those old manuals that Tony mentioned me having.

As for WORP...it's some type of router protocol but I don't remember what WO is?

Guru
posted Hide Post
kummy - a couple of good questions are;
What are your WebFOCUS strenghts?
What ar your WebFOCUS weaknesses?

Rick - very funny! Take the page numbers off, leave them on the train and you'll be beat both trains!

Hey, I was doing some Disaster Recovery testing last week and got a WORP error. It was because Java wasn't installed on the DR box.

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
ok, Wiggly Orthogonal Router Protocol

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
the answer is - "never the twain shall meet"

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2003,SQL Server 2005,Oracle

Posts: 125 | Location: New England | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Funny
Old
Coders
Under
Stress

Surely?

T