Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Resetting variable for email notification

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Resetting variable for email notification
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all!
I've just started using FOCUS and an trying to get up to speed with its syntax and usage.
I have a pretty simple request: I have a process that has around 12 flows in it. I'd like to use just 1 email object to notify me if any of the processes fail, and pass the name of the process that failed as a parameter to the email subject.
I can kinda do this if I SET a &variable in the code and then call it in my email body, but what I'd like to do is reset this variable after each flow has run. e.g. flow 1 has run ok, so set &variable to be '2', etc. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know a good place to get some docs and info on the FOCUS syntax?

Many thanks!

Prod: Service Manager 5.5 - DataMigrator 7.6 - Win2K
Test: Service Manager 5.5 - DataMigrator 7.6 - Win2K
Local: DevStudio 5.5.3 - Management Console
- Windows XP SP2

Posts: 21 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: January 15, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
use an alert box instead of an email
CMD NET SEND yourpcname yourmessage
2. ask your sales person to tell you, they should have provided you with the basic set of manuals when you bought the product, there are courses from ibi, all described on their website, and doc can be downloaded, all you need is your site code to establish an account.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Darren :
Please update your signature to show your environment settings. Responses to your Questions would then be more direct and appropriate.

Getting back to your issue, here is how we do it on a mainframe based EDA installation -

1> Have a SET command at the start of various routines to show the current location
-SET &CURSTP='A1';
2> Evaluate the &RECORDS field after appropriate TABLE FILE steps and determine if fex needs to continue processing or send out an alert email with a no-data message.
-IF &RECORDS EQ 0 GOTO LBL_EMLNODATA;
-SET &CURSTP='B2';
3> The email section does this...
-- Allocate a TSO file
-- -WRITE to this file, an entire JCL line-by-line. The main step here would be an emailing utility like IKJEFT01 or IEBGENER. The subject and body of this email contain a message and the &CURSTP value.
-- Once the JCL has been completely built, then DYNAM SUBMIT this dataset, to submit the job and email notify the recepient.
We use this techinque from many RPCs, so the emailing routine is actually a stand-alone fex and we -INCLUDE it whenever needed.

Like I said Darren, this is one way to do it if you are also on TSO.

Hope that helps to atleast give you an idea. And welcome to WebFOCUS.

Best regards,
Sandeep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of MS
WF.76-10 on (WS2003 + WebSphere) / EDA on z/OS + DB2 + MS-SQL
MRE, BID, Dev. Studio, Self-Service apps & a dash of fun !! Music

Posts: 218 | Location: Jackson, MS | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post