Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]Lines Per Page

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]Lines Per Page
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
So I have a stupid question that I need help with.

I am an converted app studio user (from dev studio) but I am working with an info assist user to try and help them build a report. We frequently have reports with more than 50 records so I typically change the lines per page to show all, however I couldn't find that option in info assist. I was able to change this report in app studio but I would prefer to be able to show them how to do it through info assist to avoid having to help them change this for every report they build.

Sorry to bother you guys with what I am sure is such a simple question but I have spent 15 minutes trying to figure this out.

Thanks,

-Luke

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

Web Focus 8105
Windows 7

Master
posted Hide Post
To be honest... I don't think there is a way to do that using info assist. there are a bunch of things what you would think are simple Style Sheet options to include. But the Style Shet options feel woefully incomplete.

I think you have 2 options here...

1) create a style sheet specifically for limiting the page to 50 lines. Your user can then use that style sheet to apply the 50 lines limitation

2) show your user how to add the value through the text editor and call it a day...

I guess there is always option 3 which is put in a NFR...

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Create an INCLUDE member that has:
SET LINES = 998 (this will always show all the lines with 1 TITLE line) Users can -INCLUDE this fex
Other SET commands can be added in the fex(if not set on the server):
SET ASNAMES = ON, BYDISPLAY=ON, etc
OR
ON TABLE SET LINES 998

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT *
ON TABLE SET LINES 998
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
END
-EXIT

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom Flynn,

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Tom,

That's a good way to handle it... But how can you do that within Info Assist, which I understand to be the crux of the issue? I don't see a way to include another fex in the report builder. You can in Document... but then it forces it to be an active report, and that brings other problems with it.

I guess you could add SET LINES = 998 to the site profile and push that globally for all reports. That's one way to do it. Might not be a bad way either.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I am not an IA person, but, I have learned a bit.
Select the reporting object and click "Edit in Reporting Object Tool". Then edit "PREPROCESSING OTHER"
Then insert your INCLUDE like so -MRNOEDIT -INCLUDE common_include_folder/your_set_commands_here.fex(this is just an example).
You can also place Dialogue Manager commands in there as well; again, my understanding, have not implemented.

SET commands for a global community placed on the reporting server(edasprof.prf) is the best practice, imo...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Tom,

That's not IA, that's from app studio/dev studio. IA has a lot less functionality. Luke was asking how his users would be able to add the command. Unfortunately a user with only access to IA won't have App Studio/Dev Studio so would be unable to change reporting objects etc. But as you point out, these are all places that Luke can make the adjustment for them. Some more global then others.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Expert
posted Hide Post
eric,
When I right-click on My Content in IA, Reporting Object is available. My suggested direction may be outdated, but, the functionality is still there:

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Master
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected Tom.

I didn't realize you can get there from the web. I wouldn't have thought to use Reporting Objects in this way, considering that you would have to create a new reporting object every time you want to do something slightly different. But its definitely a way to do it, and may be the only way.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Master
posted Hide Post
I have a workaround for this.

1. Create a report in InfoAssist, save it and close.

2. Right-click on the saved report, then "Edit With Text Editor".

3. Type "SET LINES = 998" into the first line of the FOCUS code, moving everything else down by one line. Save and close the text editor window.

4. Open the report by double-clicking on it or right-click and select "Edit". You should get a message warning that the report was edited outside of InfoAssist; confirm that you want to continue.

5. Save the report and close. The next time you open the report, there should be no warning and you should see more than 50 records.

InfoAssist will replace the "SET LINES = 998" with "ON TABLE SET LINES 998" in the "ON TABLE" section of the FOCUS code.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Squatch, wow, a GUI/Code combo TKO!

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Francis Mariani:
Squatch, wow, a GUI/Code combo TKO!

Eye of the Tiger, man. Eye of the Tiger.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
A workaround(not really, though) for those that can EDIT, most IA users can't...
If they could EDIT, this post probably wouldn't be here...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Master
posted Hide Post
not that any one cares... but that is one of the first things I mentioned.. open with text editor and add the code.... just saying....

But thing is, we don't know whether the user even has access to edit the text. Remember that's a granted permission, as is reporting objects. Depending on the level and security settings assigned to the user, they may not be able to do either.

at the end of the day though. Info Assist should be able to handle this without having to deal with the IBI "Scare Tactics" that you might have broken the code by doing something it should be able to handle anyways. Same with sizing a column, adding borders etc. I'm pretty sure that report assistant used to be able to do a bunch of these things. As I some times feel like we have fallen backwards with IA instead of forwards.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eric.woerle:
not that any one cares... but that is one of the first things I mentioned.. open with text editor and add the code.... just saying....

Actually, you mentioned making the change in App Studio. That is different than editing the code within the WebFOCUS portal. Your users don't need App Studio when editing that way. In theory, it is something they can do without asking you for help. That was the problem I was trying to solve.

Also, I assumed that your users were considered developers with text edit permission. That is the way it works here.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Flynn:
A workaround(not really, though) for those that can EDIT, most IA users can't...
If they could EDIT, this post probably wouldn't be here...

Since Luke was using App Studio to do the editing, I didn't know for sure if he was aware that editing can be done from the WebFOCUS portal (given the proper permissions). So I mentioned it.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
As Luke states, we ALL know how to EDIT in App Studio.
AND, Eric never mentioned making the change in APP Studio...

Over and Out!

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Flynn:
As Luke states, we ALL know how to EDIT in App Studio.
AND, Eric never mentioned making the change in APP Studio...

Over and Out!

I was talking about editing in the WebFOCUS Portal, not App Studio.

And Luke mentioned making the change in App Studio.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys, I shouldn't have digressed like that.

At the end of the day, I think we can all agree that IA is inadequate.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2