Focal Point
[Inputs needed] Google Maps with WebFOCUS - Latitude Longitude

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8607017216

November 11, 2011, 01:17 AM
Ramkumar - Webfous
[Inputs needed] Google Maps with WebFOCUS - Latitude Longitude
Hi All,

We are planning to integrate Google maps with one of ur Applications(WF 7.7.02), to generate geographcial reports. I know, there are good manuals and documentation from IBI on the same. I will use them for a sure.

But I am starting this post for getting answers to couple of my questions.

1) With Google maps Integration, what is the area where more challenges will be faced ?

2) Do we need to purchase any seperate licence from Google for this?

3) Is there any limitation in the number of users who can access the application(in production) if we are going for Google maps ?

4) Which one would be a better option to integrate with IBI? Google Maps or ESRI ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ramkumar - Webfous,

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows
HTML/PDF/EXCEL/AHTML/XML/HTML5
November 11, 2011, 09:29 AM
David Glick
I am the Product Manager for the interface between HTML Composer and Google Maps and I can tell you that once you define the layers and the marker groups, it's easy from there. Google changes their policy periodically, but currently if you are hosting the site behind a filewall or any kind of security, you need to buy a license from them. That license can be page view based, or user based. The Google Maps integration consists of marker groups and being able to select markers and drill down to reports. ESRI is more involved, but if you need things like regions, it is the way to go.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com
November 11, 2011, 09:44 AM
Edwin
With Google maps Integration, what is the area where more challenges will be faced ? All you need is your latitude/longitude data.

2) Do we need to purchase any seperate licence from Google for this? It's free for public domain use.

3) Is there any limitation in the number of users who can access the application(in production) if we are going for Google maps ? If you get a lot of page views you'll certainly need a corporate license, I heard it's around 10k.

4) Which one would be a better option to integrate with IBI? Google Maps or ESRI ? Google Maps is easier as Mr. Glick mentions.
November 11, 2011, 12:19 PM
Sayed
If it is an external faced application, where many users will be clicking on the maps, make sure you do your cost analysis before going with Google. Although, Google maps are very easy to intergrate with WebFOCUS, their pricing plans are click based. It can get quite expensive when you add up few cents per click.

Thanks,
Sayed

WF 8.x and 7.7.x Win/UNIX/AS400, MRE/Portal/Self-Service, IIS/Tomcat, WebSphere, IWA, Realmdriver, Active Directory, Oracle, SQLServer, DB2, MySQL, JD Edwards, E-BIZ, SAP BW, R/3, ECC, ESSBASE
November 12, 2011, 05:47 PM
<MLerner>
To echo what David and Sayed said, Google Maps is much easier. However, if you will have a high usage total cost of ownership will likely be less with ESRI, while also providing more power.

That said ESRI will require more knowledge and take you longer to get going.
November 14, 2011, 04:30 AM
Ramkumar - Webfous
Hi Glick/Edwin/Sayed/Matthew,

I Thank you for all your inputs. This would be much helpful for me in the analysis part.

Thanks again.

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows
December 20, 2011, 07:48 AM
Ramkumar - Webfous
I am reopening this again, to get few more information in this regard. Appreciate all your help in this.

I have a query reagarding, generation of Latitude and Longitude information for Google maps. How do we generate a large set of Latitude and Longitude information say for entire USA?

I tried with BATCHGEO, but not sure how to generate information from the WebSITE. Could you please help me in this ?

Also, which is the best or optimum way of generating Latitude and Longitude information? What are the various options available ?

Thank you for all your help regarding this.

Regards, Ram.

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows
December 21, 2011, 09:05 AM
David Glick
There are geocoding services available. I do believe Google has one as well. I am unfamiliar with anyone who uses them though.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168
December 29, 2011, 07:03 AM
Ramkumar - Webfous
David, Thanks for your reply.

I just want to know, the most generic way of generating the Latitude and Longitude info for all the ZIP codes across united states. As we have a sample LOCALE focus mart in ibidemo, What is the optimum way(mostly used tools - either free ones or paid ones) of generating the entire superset of Latitude and Longitude, which we can load into our database and use it further.

We need your suggestion on this, which tool to go for?

Every other forum says Batchgeo... But not sure how to do with Batcgeo in the Website.

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows
December 30, 2011, 07:49 AM
<MLerner>
BatchGeo (http://batchgeo.com/en/) is what I always use for small sets. They limit to 5,000 a day I believe.

What is the problem you are having using it?

Also for $40 you can buy the data you seek
http://www.zipcodedownload.com/

I also found a free set that I did not check:
http://www.boutell.com/zipcodes/
December 30, 2011, 07:49 AM
David Glick
Sorry, I have no idea. I have never done this myself nor do I know anyone who has.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168
January 02, 2012, 02:41 AM
Ramkumar - Webfous
Thanks Matthew for the information. We will evaluate one among these.

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows
January 02, 2012, 02:42 AM
Ramkumar - Webfous
Thank you David for your Reply.

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau