Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     DevStudio 5.3.2 and Graphs

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
DevStudio 5.3.2 and Graphs
 Login/Join

<Pietro De Santis>
posted
Error dialog box: "Automatic positioning is not supported by graph editor"

- Why is the "Graph Editor" not compatible with "Automatic Positioning"?

Error dialog box: "Graph Editor does not support new graph engine functionality. Using the editor while new graoh engine is enabled may cause compatibility issues. It is recommended that you set the graph engine to OLD."

- Why does it not support the new graph engine functionality?

One would assume that when new functionality is added to WebFOCUS, Dev Studio would keep up.

Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Error dialog box: "Automatic positioning is not supported by graph editor"

- Why is the "Graph Editor" not compatible with "Automatic Positioning"?

Error dialog box: "Graph Editor does not support new graph engine functionality. Using the editor while new graoh engine is enabled may cause compatibility issues. It is recommended that you set the graph engine to OLD."

- Why does it not support the new graph engine functionality?

One would assume that when new functionality is added to WebFOCUS, Dev Studio would keep up.
Pietro,

In 5.3, a new graphics engine was introduced to provide higher resolution and better quality graphic output within WebFOCUS. There was great demand for board room quality graphcs (PNG, SVG, and even JPEG!).

So the editor that most people used is not friends with the new engine, hence the messages you are receiving. So basically, the engine is ahead of the editor. The main issue is that the Editor still uses a Java 1 Applet interface and AWT classes, and the new engine used Java 2D classes.

As I understand it, the editor is being completely rewritten to unlock a world of features and will be demoed at this years tech Summit in Las Vegas in a few weeks. Users will not need to know much of the editor to do a lot of the "classy/custom" things you do in it today.

Hope this helps explain...

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
So you are saying after the Summit...we'll be getting a new Editor...with what Version?

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
<Pietro De Santis>
posted
quote:
the editor that most people used
is provided by IBI, is it not? If so, then I think it should be compatible with any other new or updated components delivered at the same time.

Cheers.

Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Pietro,

Fundamentally, I agree with your point. It boiled down to the fact that the graphics area needed a lot work. So much so, that there was too much involved to get everything out at once. Most customers, when asked, replied "I use the API for most customization, so get me the better output first, I can wait for the editor".

Prarie22, I am not sure when it will be released. My guess might be after summit. It is my understanding that they (IBI) are going to demo it, which means it's currently under development, which further means it should be available shortly after that.