Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] HOLD file
 Login/Join

posted
Hello -

I work on my predecessor's report that getting data from a HOLD file. The HOLD file needs to be updated before running the report based on the result (old data shown up). I could not find any documentation left for me. Would it be possible to trace back which fex generate that HOLD file? Otherwise, I might have to start that report from scratch.

Thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8105m
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanit

Do these fex files exist in the content area in the repository or in the application folders?

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
No...

it's not registered which .fex creates which HOLD file.

It could even be several fex that create or write to the same HOLD file...

...but!

You could query the repository and scan all sourcecode on that specific HOLD file name.

it should be in there somewhere.

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
App and Dev Studio have a feature on master files to scan where that master is used named "Impact Analysis". That does the reverse of what you want.

Something feature to scan where a master is generated (if it is a HOLD-file), would be useful.

It happens frequently enough that we're looking in a procedure that someone else created, or one of our own that was created a while ago, that we're left searching.

We usually grep the *.fex files in the file system.

If you're stuck with the repository you can probably use a select with a like expression - if the field type used to store the fex in the DBMS in question permits that. BLOBs are often not very query-friendly, for example.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
From within App Studio (and Developer Studio) you can copy all the files (fex, mas, acx ...) to a Windows directory. I do this frequently to keep the previous versions before I change focexecs. You can then use a search tool to look for the focexecs(s) that create your hold file. I have had good luck with Agent Ransack.

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 - Production
WebFOCUS 8.2.04 - Sand Box
Windows 2012 R2 Server
HTML, PDF, Excel
In FOCUS since 1980

Posts: 115 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: April 07, 2015Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip, Michael; I didn't know we could do that!

WebFocus 8201m on Windows; App Studio 8201; Procedures: WebFocus with SQL; HTML Parameter Pages & Dashboard; Output: Excel, HTML, & PDF.

Posts: 88 | Location: MI | Registered: July 23, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for delay reply. I was out of office.

Chuck - I don't see the fex file that creating this HOLD file. I only see the fex that using this HOLD file to generate the report I want in the Content folder. The HOLD file is in EDASERVE\Application folder.

Dave - I checked that HOLD filename, but unfortunately no other filename being similar to that HOLD file.

Wep5622 - thanks for that tip. After using Impact analysis, all I see are fex files using that HOLD file, not the one creating it.

Michael - thanks for the advice. I will do this from now on. Sometimes I feel that files are disappeared for no reason. Maybe too many hands in the pot.

I will wait until my IT staff takes a look on this and his backup. If file is not found, I have no choice to recreate that fex file and mimic that output for that HOLD file.

Thank you all!

WebFOCUS 8105m
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
It is possible that the HOLD file is created by a program that is not in the Repository, but on the reporting server - in one of the application folders. I would check there.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Francis. I will ask IT to check that as well.

WebFOCUS 8105m
Windows, All Outputs

posted Hide Post
Finally, after troubleshooting with IT, we found the fex file that generates that HOLD file. It was simply that I didn't have permission to see it before.

Thank you all for your time and suggestion to help me out.

WebFOCUS 8105m
Windows, All Outputs