Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Multiple Fex files having same hold file name.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Multiple Fex files having same hold file name.
 Login/Join

posted
I have 10 fex files as proc1......... to proc10.

Each file starts with a data pull from a table and holds the data in a file.

Name of the hold file is same across all 10 procedures.

Ex: Procedure1
 TABLE FILE <TABLE_NAME>
PRINT
<FIELD1>
<FIELD2>
BY FIELD<3>
WHERE <FIELD1> EQ 'A';
ON TABLE HOLD AS H_FILE1
END
-RUN
........OTHER COMPUTATIONS......  

Procedure2
TABLE FILE <TABLE_NAME>
PRINT
<FIELD1>
<FIELD2>
BY FIELD<3>
WHERE <FIELD1> EQ 'B';
ON TABLE HOLD AS H_FILE1
END
-RUN
........OTHER COMPUTATIONS......   

........ UPTO Procedure 10.

Later i set up each individual file to run parallely.
During this process few procedure were executed successfully and few errored out as "Description of the File Name H_FILE1 could not be found".

When i re-run the errored out procedures, execution was successfull.

Hence could you please let me know, setting up multiple file to run parallely with same hold file name(H_FILE1) overrides the H_FILE1?

Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Posts: 21 | Location: bangalore | Registered: December 18, 2008Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I am not sure how you are running these in parallel, but if it is in the same focexec, it will be in the same Server agent.
If they run in the same Server agent, they will use the same edatemp directory and over write each other.

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
If you use FILEDEF and append records, it wouldnt.

FILEDEF TEST DISK bi_source/H_FILE1.dat (APPEND

WebFOCUS: 7702
O/S : Windows
Data Migrator: 7702

Posts: 127 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: May 29, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
With APPEND the data is not over-written, but the Master still is.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
i run PROC1.fex - PROC10.fex files in deferred mode.

Posts: 21 | Location: bangalore | Registered: December 18, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Even with the HOLD file allocated in APPEND mode, I think this is a risky approach because there may be file contention for writing the MASTER, or even writing to the HOLD file, if two or more jobs are trying to write output/master at exactly the same time. If you must run them in parallel, I would output each result set to a uniquely-named HOLD file and then use the MORE command, the USE command, or the system COPY command afterwards to merge them all together.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I see no way of doing this reliably with HOLD files. You can get around the over-writting Master problem by using FILEDEF (APPEND with SAVE or SAVB, but you may still have problems.

If you must do this, in the 10 fexes, I'd do this:
ON TABLE HOLD AS H_FILE1 FORMAT FOCUS
ON TABLE HOLD AS H_FILE2 FORMAT FOCUS
ON TABLE HOLD AS H_FILE3 FORMAT FOCUS
ON TABLE HOLD AS H_FILE10 FORMAT FOCUS

Then in the fex that uses this data:
USE
  path/folder/HFILE_1.FOC AS HFILE_1
  path/folder/HFILE_2.FOC AS HFILE_1
  path/folder/HFILE_3.FOC AS HFILE_1
  path/folder/HFILE_10.FOC AS HFILE_1
END

Then you may have to consider the issues you can have with folder management. That is, if necessary, making sure that multiple users running the job don't step on each other and that for a given user all of their files are in a single location.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post