Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Reporting on 2 identical databases in different environments

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Reporting on 2 identical databases in different environments
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I'm not sure how to attack this.

We have a production database (Oracle), and we also have the same database replicated into a Managed Reporting environment. The original database is not in managed reporting.

To verify that our replication works properly, I need to write a little fex to look at a field in the production database, then compare it to the same field in the replicated database. Can I do that on one fex? I'm sure I'll need to use a hold file in there somewhere. Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Webfocus 8
Windows, Linux

Posts: 258 | Location: Palm Coast, FL | Registered: February 05, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
This really brings back memories. In my first installation we had multiple identical data bases in different geographic locations. We solved this by creating a separate master file for each, with a 2 letter prefix in the Synonym name to identify which database that MFD was pointing too.

i.e. Norfolk's table CAR was NOCAR, while Miami's was MICAR.

Then just do a MATCH file report to find the differences between them.

You might want to even go so far as to create a separate application to keep these 'special' MFD's in. There is no limit I know of as to how many MFD's can point to the same table.

Robert F. Bowley Jr.
Owner
TaRa Solutions, LLC

In WebFOCUS since 2001

Posts: 132 | Location: Gadsden, Al | Registered: July 22, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Good suggestion. These databases are on 2 different reporting servers, so that part has me confused on where to place my MFDs.

Webfocus 8
Windows, Linux

Posts: 258 | Location: Palm Coast, FL | Registered: February 05, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You should be able to do one of two things here.

1. Create a master for the tables as per roberts suggestion.

2. Create a synonym of the master on the other reporting server.

Either way you will have two masters to access the two tables in the two DB's.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Mike, databases are not 'on' reporting servers. While they may reside on the same physical box, as long as you set up the client on the reporting server to access both databases, have a different MFD for each of the two tables, you will have no problem.

That installation I refered to before, one reporting server had connections, and MFD's for 13 Oracle data bases in 13 different locations in the US, 6 SQL Server data bases and a DB2 database in Copenhagen Denmark.

With WebFOCUS, just as one browser can access multiple web servers, each WebFOCUS web server can access multiple Reporting Servers, each reporting server can access multiple databases. I won't even start on the possibilities with EDA to EDA connections here :-)

Robert F. Bowley Jr.
Owner
TaRa Solutions, LLC

In WebFOCUS since 2001

Posts: 132 | Location: Gadsden, Al | Registered: July 22, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Good info, thanks a lot!

Webfocus 8
Windows, Linux