Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] Probably not a Webfocus question but I don't know who else to ask...

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] Probably not a Webfocus question but I don't know who else to ask...
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi all -

I have an MS Access table connected to webfocus using SQLMAC connection. The field in MS Access is a Text field with a Field Size of 50. Webfocus creates the synonym for this field as A50V usage and actual. Exactly as I expected.

Problem:
I run a report on the field. The value of the field is 06/8608. The report shows fine on HTML output. But, when I report it in Excel, the field shows as June-8608.

Okay, so this is probably an Excel problem. And I know I can fix it if I use an Excel template. Unfortunately, this report can change formats depending on certain criteria, so I will have to create a bazillion templates to cover all possibilities. Is there a way I can get Excel to treat it as plain text without a template?

Webfocus Dev Studio Version 7.6.4, MS Office 2003.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 8.1.05 Windows

Posts: 333 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: October 17, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to remove the slash or change it then you could try concatenating a single quote to the front of the field value when you send it to excel.

Posts: 140 | Location: Adelaide South Australia | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What happens if you put a space in front of the field.

Create a new field

NEWFIELD/A51=' '|OLDFIELD;

use this one in the report?

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I do what OPALTOSH says. In EXCEL any field starting with a single quote is a text field.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Interesting that this code does not behave as you describe, the data with the slash shows as alpha.

Also, I don't think adding the quote to the beginning will work, in the example below, the quote displays in the Excel cells.

DEFINE FILE CAR
TEST1/A50V = '06/8608';
TEST2/A51V = '''' | TEST1;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
TEST1
TEST2
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I guess a quick question on which display application are each of you using - MS Excel or the browser plugin - and the version? It might make no difference but it would be interesting to find out if that's part of the problem.

For me, I use the plugin (opens in the browser) and I get what Francis describes. Version is 2003 (11.8324.8324) SP3

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Tony is correct, it is a good idea to state which tool is used. I tried both the MS Excel browser plugin and a saved file opened in MS Excel.

MS Excel 2003 (11.8324.8324) SP3.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi . Quite New to FOCUS

With following code,
-PROMPT &SAISEC.SECTION.
-SET &WHERECLAUSE = 'WHERE SCT_VAL EQ &SAISEC.';
-TYPE 'LA CLAUSE WHERE = &WHERECLAUSE.EVAL'

I GET
WHERECLAUSE = 'WHERE SCT_VAL EQ 39ST30000' for example

How can i please GET WHERECLAUSE = 'WHERE SCT_VAL EQ '39ST30000''
Will it work in a TABLE FILE with .EVAL clause ?

Thanks for helping me !

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 3 | Location: France | Registered: March 20, 2014Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You could use:
-PROMPT &SAISEC.SECTION.
-SET &WHERECLAUSE = 'WHERE SCT_VAL EQ ' | '''&SAISEC''';
-TYPE LA CLAUSE WHERE = &WHERECLAUSE

The .EVAL should not be required.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Alan

Thanks for answering and it's almost working for me
with
-PROMPT &SAISEC.SECTION.
-SET &WHERECLAUSE = '''&SAISEC''';
-TYPE LA CLAUSE WHERE = &WHERECLAUSE
-TYPE LA CLAUSE WHERE EVALUEE = &WHERECLAUSE.EVAL

I get
SECTION ? ST3000
LA CLAUSE WHERE = '&SAISEC'
LA CLAUSE WHERE EVALUEE = 'ST30000'
Smiler
But as soon as I try to use "|" concatenation operator, the editor line breakes in 2 lines (IBM EMULATOR) and when executing the focexec it says (FOC261) EXPRESSION INCOMPLETE IL MANQUE UNE OPERATION
'FOC261 incomplete expression, an operation is missing Frowner
Do you know if there is another way for concatenating string ? or IBM experts what am i missing in this editor ?

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

posted Hide Post
Gloups
Shame on me

just
-SET &WHERECLAUSE = 'WHERE SECTION EQ ''&SAISEC''';

Will do the Job...
Many thanks for helping Alan !
Kind regards
Alain

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
Why did I not respond to tell everybody if their suggestions helped? I can't remember anymore if the addition of a space worked for me or not...

I apologize for being an airhead.

WF 8.1.05 Windows

Posts: 333 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: October 17, 2006Report This Post