Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Manually copying/creating masterfile

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Manually copying/creating masterfile
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
After you manually edit a masterfile, do you need to restart the server or something? Say for example that I have an archiving process saving a .foc file and this process has been running for years. There is a masterfile for the resulting table. Now I want to make a second process that saves a .foc with a different name and is the same as the old one except for the difference of one field being added. When I edit the masterfile, add the field, and save it with the new name, why does Webfocus not pick it up?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6.9
Windows
all output (Excel, HTML, PDF)

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
After you manually edit a masterfile, do you need to restart the server or something?

Well, my experience with WebFOCUS has shown me that changes to masterfiles are immediately "seen" by the server - no restarts are ever needed.

Would it be possible (and this may be a silly question as many of the ones I've asked before) that you have a copy of the masterfile somewhere else and your APP PATH is making the server pick that one up instead of the most updated one?

Please go to your approot and do a recursive search to make sure that your master file is unique.

Running the following code will show you the APP PATH in use by your session:
APP SHOWPATH
-RUN

Finally, I've read in previous posts something about FOCCACHE (or something similar) which I don't think is available in my 5.3.4 environment so I don't know much about how it works so please accept my apologies if my reasoning makes no sense: if that feature is somehow "enabled" in your environment, would it be possible that a cached version of the masterfile is being used by the server instead of the one you just updated?

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Why do you think Webfocus does not pick it up?

did you create a report on the new focus file?
how does the proces fill the database?

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Are you sure you have write permissions on your masters directory? If you don't and you are creating the MFD it won't save it and from Dev Studio it won't give you an error.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Try issuing a check file fn hold...where fn=filename

Ira

aix-533,websphere 5.1.1,apache-2.0,
wf 538(d), 537 (p),
==============
7.6.11 (t) aix 5312
websphere 6.1.19
apache 2.0

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
make a second process that saves a .foc with a different name
This be telling point. If you "save" FOCUS file then you create .mas also so edit no be kept.

Think
TABLE FILE CAR
  SUM RETAIL_COST
   BY COUNTRY
   BY CAR
ON TABLE HOLD AS MYCAR FORMAT FOCUS
END
TABLE FILE CAR
  SUM RETAIL_COST
      DEALER_COST
   BY COUNTRY
   BY CAR
   BY MODEL
ON TABLE HOLD AS MYCAR1 FORMAT FOCUS INDEX CAR
END

This give you 4 file - MYCAR.FOC and MYCAR.MAS also give to you MYCAR1.FOC and MYCAR1.MAS. If you be edit MYCAR1.MAS to add column and then run fex repeat the change you to MYCAR1.MAS is be lose. You understand? Be this problem you haf?

Kofi

Client Server 8.1.05: Apache; Tomcat;Windows Server 2012
Reporting Server 8.1.05; Oracle; MS SQL; Windows Server 2012