Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Printing HTML reports

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Printing HTML reports
 Login/Join

posted
I have a requirement to provide a very specificly formated report that can be printed landscape 8.5 x 11 or similarly PDF output.

I have created a HTML report with 3 other embedded html tables (IBI.FIL.xxx). The problem I am having, is that once the embedded tables are inserted the HTML format is lost, as far was page width.

If I just put the HTML code into a web browser, eveything works like I'd like it to. But once the results of my fex are inserted as HTML tables, the format seems fixed, expanding and contracting the windows does not reformat the data.

Here is the HTML:

<head>
    <title>MULTI-PART GRIDDED PARTS LIST</title>
</head>
<body>
    <table >
        <tr>
            <td colspan="4" style="height: 21px; text-align: center">
                MULTI-PART GRIDDED PARTS LIST &STITLE</td>
        </tr>
        <tr >
            <td style=" border-left-color: black; border-bottom-color: black; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: black; border-right-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-right-color: black; border-bottom-style: solid;">
                <span style="font-size: 7pt">CONTRACT: </span><br />
				<span style="font-size: 9pt">&FIFTH</span>
                <br />
                <br />
                <span style="font-size: 7pt">[Project Code: &&PF.&COUNT ]</span></td>
            <td style="border-left-color: black; border-bottom-color: black; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: black; border-right-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-right-color: black; border-bottom-style: solid;">
                <span style="font-size: 9pt; ">
                CAGE CODE:xxxxx<br />
                    <br />
                        xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<br />
                        xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<br />
                        ORLANDO, FLORIDA</span></td>
            <td style=" font-size: 9pt;text-align: center;border-left-color: black; border-bottom-color: black; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: black; border-right-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-right-color: black; border-bottom-style: solid;">
             <span style="font-size: 7pt;"> DRAWING NUMBER: </span><br />
                <br />
                PL &&PART1 &PLTITLE<br />
                Rev &DREV<br />
                <span style="font-size: 7pt">Title :</span>&&DOC_NAME_ENG1<br />
				&HDR</td>
            <td style=" border-left-color: black; border-bottom-color: black; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: black; border-right-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-right-color: black; border-bottom-style: solid;">
                <span style="font-size: 7pt; vertical-align: top;">&FOURTH</span><br /><br />
				</td>
        </tr>
				 <tr style="font-size: 9pt; text-align:center; ">
         <td colspan="4"  style="height: 21px; text-align: center" >
!IBI.FIL.DSTMT;
		 </td>
  	        </tr>
	    <tr style="font-size: 9pt">
			&PLPROP
		        </tr>
            <td colspan="4">
			!IBI.FIL.HOLD1;<br>
            </td>
        </tr>
            <td colspan="4">
			!IBI.FIL.HOLD2;<br>
            </td>
        </tr>
        <tr style="font-size: 7pt">
            <td>
                <span style="font-size: 9pt">LEGEND:</span><br />
                    ALT = ALTERNATE PART<br />
                    AS REQ = AS REQUIRED<br />
                    MTL = RAW MATERIAL<br />
                    P = PROCESS SPECIFICATION<br />
                    REF = REFERENCE DOCUMENT<br />
                    SCHEM = SCHEMATIC DIAGRAM<br />
                    SQAP = SUPPLIER QUALITY ASSURANCE PROVISION<br />
                    TEST = TEST REQUIREMENT<br />
            </td>
            <td colspan="2">
                <span style="font-size: 9pt">FIND NUMBERS FOR ALTERNATE PARTS ARE DESIGNATED BY THE
                    FIND NUMBER OF THE PRIMARY PART AND A DECIMAL SUFFIX.<br />
                    <br />
                    <br />
                    <br />
                      INFORMATION CONTAINED IN SQUARE BRACKETS IS CONSIDERED TO BE INTERNAL TO XXXXXXXXXXXXX. IT IS NOT TO BE CONSIDERED PART OF THE DATA PACKAGE OF THE PRODUCT.
                    <br />
                </span>
            </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
            <td colspan="3">
                <span style="font-size: 9pt">XXXXXXXXXXXXX APPROVALS ARE CAPTURED AND RETAINED ELECTRONICALLY.
                    SEE ENGINEERING RECORDS FOR SPECIFIC NAMES AND DATES.</span></td>
        </tr>
			<tr>
            <td colspan="3">
                <p>
                    <span style="font-size: 9pt"><b>WARNING - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                        XXXXXXXXXXXXX.</b> </span>
                </p>
            </td>
        </tr>
    </table>
</body>
</html> 

any help would be appreciated, I am wondering if PDF format would give me better control.

Mitch
prod/test WF 7.6.9 WIN

Posts: 15 | Location: Orlando, FL, USA | Registered: December 03, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Mitch,

My suggestion would be to always use PDF when you want the output printed.

HTML will flex with the screen size depending on how the HTMLis coded, but PDF is set fast being delivered to the end user as a completely formatted, non changeable (within the browser plug-in anyway) document in WYSIWYG.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
My thought exactly, Tony.

As you have three reports, use the compound PDF layout tool and forget about all that HTML coding. As Tony mentioned, you always get the same layout with PDF (and consistent output when printing.) HTML will vary with browser, screen size, etc. Good luck trying to get consistent printed output using HTML only.

Stick with PDF.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help.

OK, sounds like PDF is the way to go. I will post questions on a different thread on question of PDF formating since my requirements are quite specific on the format.

Mitch
prod/test WF 7.6.9 WIN

Posts: 15 | Location: Orlando, FL, USA | Registered: December 03, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Mitch
first, read the article in the 'focus on developers' section written by mickey grackin on formatting pdf output, its a 2 part article.
second, when i skim your code, it looks as though you have an -htmlform construct, and you are parking tables and variables into that construct. Thata a very viable way to do things, but for pdf, you'll have to drop all the -htmlform stuff, all the layout and formatting and dropping-in-of-parms-into-comments will have to be accomplished between the TABLE and the END statements. Ok?

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Susannah,
I used his article WebFOCUS HTML and PDF Report Design under Tips and Techniques as I was formating my HTML (columns especially). Very, very helpful.
I am now reading again for the PDF help.
thanks Mickey!

Mitch
prod/test WF 7.6.9 WIN

Expert
posted Hide Post
good Mitch, and just as a shameless plug....Mickey will be doing a session at Summit on this topic... its this year's hot session to attend for all hearty Focal Pointers ..

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
That'll be no pressure then Mickey Wink lol

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post