Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Problems opening "Excel" .mht files

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Problems opening "Excel" .mht files
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi,

I am using Report Caster to send out a bunch of Excel reports to some clients. For some reason, some of them are not able to open the files in excel properly; they see the contents the same as if they opened the document in notepad (IE. mime format... x document blah blah blah). They open fine on my machine and on anyone else's machine that I have access to. As such, it is difficult for me to figure out what the issue is.

When I open a focus Excel document, and go File | Save As, I see that the format is set to "Web Archive .MHT" by default. If I save it as Excel format, it looks exactly the same, but my users can then open it properly. Obviously, I can't run all the reports, do a save as and then manually e-mail them out. At least not without going slowly insane...

Is there any way to cause WF to save a real Excel document, or to have RC send out a real Excel document? Alternatively, is there a way to ensure that all users can open the .mht files? Is there any common issue that might cause the problem I described?

Thanks in advance,

Joey

-WebFOCUS 8.2.01 on Windows

Posts: 318 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 15, 2005Report This Post
<Patrick>
posted
Some Excel functionality requires newer versions of Excel because they use Excel XML technology (that is real Excel format) that is only supported with Excel XP or newer.
Please make sure that users have correct Excel versions.

Greetings form Munich/Germany
Patrick

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I am actually having the same problem. I was going to try and recreate the excel templates in excel 2000 and see if that makes a difference but no computers at my work have anything older than excel xp so this may have to wait a couple days.

I know the customer I am having a problem with is using excel 2000 and the report opens fine for everyone at my work (excel xp or excel 2003).

I did try and resave them into excel format like Moogle did but the customer said she was still having the same problems, but I'm not sure if that is a user error or not.

If anyone else has any more input please chime in!

dev: WF 7.6.5 w/IIS + Tomcat

prod: WF 7.6.5 w/IIS + Tomcat

Posts: 153 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: February 24, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
We had some computers with excel 2000 and had to upgrade them to 2003 before they could view the reports. Unless as you said we saved them to excel and then emailed them the saved report.

Further, they could run the report and it would come back garbage but if they forwarded the email with the report in it to one of us with 2003, it opened just fine.

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hello Glenda

kindly,check the Following URL it is related with Excel *.MHT Template:

https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...1057331/m/8821001961

Hope that will be usful with you

WF 7.7.0.3HF3 / WinXP- WF-Client & Apache / DevStd 7.7.0.3HF3 win XP.

Posts: 118 | Registered: February 08, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Actually, we loaded Office 2003 on their machines and that solved the problem (they were previously on 2000). I will keep this in case we have any other users with this problem.

Thanks

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I came up with a workaround for this issue. What I basically did is add come code to the macro:

ActiveSheet.Select
ActiveSheet.Copy
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _
"C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Desktop\test.xls", FileFormat:=xlNormal, _
Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, _
CreateBackup:=False

which basically copies the active sheet to a new workbook, and the nice part is it copies all the formatting and what not into the new workbook.

The only way I can get this to work is by setting it to send the report to an ftp location on the service, create a simple dos app which basially opens the excel workbook and then closes it and then I have to setup another report caster job to send the file off to the customer.

Eric

dev: WF 7.6.5 w/IIS + Tomcat

prod: WF 7.6.5 w/IIS + Tomcat

Posts: 153 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: February 24, 2006Report This Post